E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Insurance companies are F***in T*****S

04-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Insurance companies are F***in T*****S

Just a rant.....

Insurance companies, when did they start asking for photo copies of your driving licence etc, they even want photo copies of my dads licence as I put him on as a named driver incase he wants to use the car for anything.

Surely this ridiculous time consuming request isn't normal is it?

Bloody fed up with them. They need investigating and straightening up... they try to rip their customers off every year with unnecessary price hikes then a complete hassle to get re-insured......what really annoyed me is I put all my details in one of the compare websites then try one of the independents (as you do because they advertise they aren't on the compare websites) they act all dumb asking all the questions just to find out they HAVE ALL MY DETAILS ON THE BLOODY SCREEN IN FRONT OF THEM he was asking me questions that he clearly knew the answers to !!!!

Theres no competition here how can there be?

aannd breath....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

which insurance company are you going through?
i agree with insurance being a rip off but cant complain too much as mine went slightly down from last year
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
which insurance company are you going through?
i agree with insurance being a rip off but cant complain too much as mine went slightly down from last year
Go Skippy

Did your insurance company ask for photocopies of your driving licence?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
don't get me started with these piss flaps...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
RS Grant
Made in Scotland
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M-Sport
Location: North of Edinburgh, East of Glasgow and South of Aberdeen

Go Skippy are the worst insurance company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Try and buy a policy, they'll pick up within a minute or two.

Try and cancel your policy and their response time on calls is laughable?! 0845 numbers, for 30-40 minutes at the very least.

Cheers,
Grant
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post
Go Skippy

Did your insurance company ask for photocopies of your driving licence?
no just asked for the original proof of ncb from last insurar

friend of mine once said all insurance companies are robbing barstewards, nice as pie when taking your money when it comes to claiming they are all the same - so he goes on the saying just go with the cheapest as you will get screwed when/if you need to claim with any company
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Russ.C
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Grant View Post

Try and buy a policy, they'll pick up within a minute or two.

Try and cancel your policy and their response time on calls is laughable?! 0845 numbers, for 30-40 minutes at the very least.

Cheers,
Grant

0845 numbers... Obviously haven't heard of saynoto0870.com?
Got a good 0117 number on there that comes out of your mobile minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Whatever you do don't go with Adrian Flux. They want a picture of your last bowel movement!

Beyond a joke i had to send

Mot copy
V5 copy
Driving license copy (both parts)
Ncb copy
Mileage declaration form

Pictures of the car
1. Front end
2 back end
3 side profile
4 mileage of clocks
5 engine bay

You got off lightly
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I've not been asked for a while, but when I was young I was often asked to provide a photocopy of my licence.

It also used to be left for me to chase up my previous insurer for proof of NCB and forward it on. Now they do that between themselves.

Is it really that much issue to photocopy, scan or use your mobile to take a picture and quickly send by email?

It doesn't sound that difficult or an unreasonable request to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

I've had to take photos of things before, but it's literally 5 minutes and an email and it's done. Easy and simple.

I'd also only go with an insurance broker I'd heard of and trust. With Aviva at the moment, seems very good.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:16 AM   #11
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
I've had to take photos of things before, but it's literally 5 minutes and an email and it's done. Easy and simple.

I'd also only go with an insurance broker I'd heard of and trust. With Aviva at the moment, seems very good.
+1 on this. I'm with aviva and although slightly more expensive £80 more then the cheapest quote) I have a much better level of care, cover and service. Used them for a claim beige and a+ service.

Going cheap is ok untill you need to make a claim!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:54 AM   #12
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post
Just a rant.....

Insurance companies, when did they start asking for photo copies of your driving licence etc, they even want photo copies of my dads licence as I put him on as a named driver incase he wants to use the car for anything.

Surely this ridiculous time consuming request isn't normal is it?

Bloody fed up with them. They need investigating and straightening up... they try to rip their customers off every year with unnecessary price hikes then a complete hassle to get re-insured......what really annoyed me is I put all my details in one of the compare websites then try one of the independents (as you do because they advertise they aren't on the compare websites) they act all dumb asking all the questions just to find out they HAVE ALL MY DETAILS ON THE BLOODY SCREEN IN FRONT OF THEM he was asking me questions that he clearly knew the answers to !!!!

Theres no competition here how can there be?

aannd breath....
Ummm vote with your feet (or your mouse) use another company...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:14 AM   #13
MaccyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Wow, thats weird, its probably just a scam for an identity theft ring..... just to reassure you haha.

I go through Sky Insurance who are a broker (im coming from more heavily modified cars which they are more geared towards) but they have the best customer service ive ever experienced in any walk of life. Ive had to change vehicle and address 4 times combined in the last few months. They have a call back service (admitedly its for sales but they call me and i ask to make a change and they just put me through to the right department) and after a very brief chat on the phone im all done with documents in the post and an email confirmation.

I had a call that in total lasted about 3 minutes to change my address and i wasnt charged for the priveledge.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:32 AM   #14
Kassim786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d (E93) M-sport

I can't complain with "Elephant" insurance

Quoted me £670 which isn't too bad

What I must say was when taking out the policy they requires proof of NCB I just had to log online and insert my previous policy number and what company the rest they chased up
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:34 AM   #15
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Oh no a photo copy, however will you provide such a thing in this Victorian world.

I fail to see the hassle here. Digital camera photos generally suffice these days too
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #16
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassim786 View Post
I can't complain with "Elephant" insurance

Quoted me £670 which isn't too bad

What I must say was when taking out the policy they requires proof of NCB I just had to log online and insert my previous policy number and what company the rest they chased up
+1 i have been with elephant for the past 2 years and i can say i have had zero problems with them.

Modz: Bmw Black grills//Bmw Performance Exhaust//M3 style boot lip//window trim wrap...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #17
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

elephant were good to me...

But i am now with adrian flux as i declared all my mods.

Yes i had to give them a lot of paperwork but all my mods are insured and its cheaper than elephant!!! BOOM
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 05:19 AM   #18
MaccyD
Private First Class
Rep

Do flux need that much paperwork? Normally they just ask you to complete a modification declaration form which is normally completed as you will have gone through it with them over the phone.

As mentioned though, Flux and Sky tend to be better for vehicles with more modifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
Do flux need that much paperwork? Normally they just ask you to complete a modification declaration form which is normally completed as you will have gone through it with them over the phone.

As mentioned though, Flux and Sky tend to be better for vehicles with more modifications.
Yes flux require xray scans of your entire body

Complete faff
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
MaccyD
Private First Class
Rep

Lol, fair doos. Ive been insured with them for about 4 years in the last 7 and theyve not needed anything spectacular.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #21
woggledog
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 320D Sport

Allianz gave me the best quite (has traditionally been moreThan)

Allianz have this a la carte system where you get a base quite, and then add in extras like windscreen cover, etc.

Not only that, going through quidco nets you £40 cash back, which isn't too shabby
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #22
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Oh no a photo copy, however will you provide such a thing in this Victorian world.

I fail to see the hassle here. Digital camera photos generally suffice these days too
The hassle isn't me having to send my details, it was the fact that AFTER I sent them over I received another email giving me a three day dead line to get my fathers driving licence information over.

It is a hassle in fact it was a pain in the ar*e he isn't completely computer literate so that was an hour out my day to travel to his house to sort that out.

What about those that aren't computer literate at all.
Perhaps worth thought?

It is a completely pointless exercise anyway.
Appreciate 0