E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hello...and oil leak/oil separator

04-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Hello...and oil leak/oil separator

Firstly, I wanted to say hello - I've been browsing this forum for a while now and have found a lot of useful information. I have a 2009 Sapphire Black e92 335d. Pics below, apologies for poor quality (taken with phone). I have the black grilles, performance spoiler and ACS pedals and handbrake handle (the latter from the previous owner, which I look forward to replacing!!).

I decided to take the car for an oil change even though the computer didn't request it, as I like to do it once a year. The dealer was only £20 more than the indy so I took it there as they were happy to lend me a courtesy car for 2 nights. I got a call at work to tell me that there was oil all over the undertrays, and particularly on and near the gearbox sump. They said that it could either be the sump which is leaking, or that the oil separator is clogged and caused oil to leak out...

They changed the oil separator and steam-cleaned everything, relieving me of just under £300 in the process (+£180 for the oil change ), and told me to come back in 2000 miles to see if there is any more oil around the gearbox sump or if this has solved the problem...

The car was driving absolutely fine, and still is; I was surprised to hear there was an issue. The dealer treated me exceptionally well and seemed to know what they were talking about.
What are your thoughts on this? Is the oil separator known to fail like this, and if so would it cause oil to leak out all over the place, yet cause no noticeable symptoms? The car has 64k miles.

Appreciate any info you might have. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0