E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Window on its way out?

04-20-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
WonderBang
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport, Pre LCI

Window on its way out?

So my driver side window makes a crackling sound when winding down. Car is under warranty. Is some part about to fail?

I've booked it in for a diagnosis of a faulty crossover wire (alpine upgrade). Will they also sort this out if I ask?

Never really used stealers before so help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Window reg I'd say, these do from time to time fail and cracking noises as well as the glass slightly tipping downwards when the windows dropped are all signs.

For me the biggest thing that causes these to go or shall I say is a major contributory issue to their failure is ice/moisture build up on the rubber seal/window, when you unlock the door say on an E92/93 the window naturally drops a fraction putting strain on the mech likewise on all cars dropping the window to clear your side windows when it's been frosty trying to break the moisture seal between window/rubber will cause problems as you're putting strain on the system.

I always before opening my car door on a frosty morning run my finger around the edge of the glass where it meets the seal in an attempt to break the moisture that's frozen to the rubber/glass
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Window reg I'd say, these do from time to time fail and cracking noises as well as the glass slightly tipping downwards when the windows dropped are all signs.

For me the biggest thing that causes these to go or shall I say is a major contributory issue to their failure is ice/moisture build up on the rubber seal/window, when you unlock the door say on an E92/93 the window naturally drops a fraction putting strain on the mech likewise on all cars dropping the window to clear your side windows when it's been frosty trying to break the moisture seal between window/rubber will cause problems as you're putting strain on the system.

I always before opening my car door on a frosty morning run my finger around the edge of the glass where it meets the seal in an attempt to break the moisture that's frozen to the rubber/glass
Never realized that. Some good info there thanks. And to the op it does sound like a window regulator, they tend to fail at the worst moments too.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Never realized that. Some good info there thanks. And to the op it does sound like a window regulator, they tend to fail at the worst moments too.
We see this all the time oddly enough around late November through to say Marchsomething to so with cold mornings I think
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
WonderBang
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
We see this all the time oddly enough around late November through to say Marchsomething to so with cold mornings I think
Thanks for all the great info. I'm sure this would be covered under warranty. Question is... Do I need to book it in seperately?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBang View Post
Thanks for all the great info. I'm sure this would be covered under warranty. Question is... Do I need to book it in seperately?
should be under BMW warranty and I'd say on the booking just add it to the booking you've already made by calling ahead and reporting the symptoms as garages like us kinda expect extras
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Ive got one knocking about if you want it, just pay the postage and its yours, a rear window reg that is!
      04-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #8
blues n twos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT coupe

When I installed the alpine upgrade I had a few scraping noises from the drivers window (E93). It turned out to be the window catching on the alpine wires.
I hadn't tucked them in properly. Once tidied up the noise went.

Probably not your noise but it takes 5 mins to take a door panel off and check.

Jon
      04-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #9
WonderBang
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues n twos View Post
When I installed the alpine upgrade I had a few scraping noises from the drivers window (E93). It turned out to be the window catching on the alpine wires.

Jon
THIS!!! I've noticed when unwinding the window it only makes the sound as if catching a wire approximately half way down and only at this point. The rest of the window operation is smooth as. I will check the wires.

Thanks for this suggestion.

EDIT: just had a look at the picture with the door card off and isn't the slot the window goes into seperate from the wires and speakers? How could it be catching the wiring?

Last edited by WonderBang; 04-21-2014 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Adding information
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues n twos View Post

Jon
Valid call as it can be a tad congested in there. Got to be worth a look
      04-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
blues n twos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBang View Post
THIS!!! I've noticed when unwinding the window it only makes the sound as if catching a wire approximately half way down and only at this point. The rest of the window operation is smooth as. I will check the wires.

Thanks for this suggestion.

EDIT: just had a look at the picture with the door card off and isn't the slot the window goes into seperate from the wires and speakers? How could it be catching the wiring?
The window passes only millimeters from the back of the door speaker. The crossover wires can stick out a bit and catch as the window goes down.

Jon