E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Remotely activating accessory mode (for climate control)?

04-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Remotely activating accessory mode (for climate control)?

so, remote start on an e90 will be a very expensive pain in the ass, but how easy would it be to put the system into accessory mode instead? would it be significantly easier than remote start or about the same?

basically i just want the climate control to kick on a few minutes before i get to the car, i'd rig up an arduino thing so can activate it through text message over GSM.
then add a second battery for a larger pool of energy to run climate control for a decent length of time (upwards of 10 minutes) without draining the battery completely.

of course, this is assuming heat+AC works without the engine in the e90, which may not be the case
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Will your arduino wake on SMS?
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:06 AM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Newer BMWs can turn on the ventilation system based on a timer in one of the menus, but except for something like the new i3 that uses a heat pump, the compressor on the a/c unit only runs with the engine on and heat only happens when the engine has warmed up. So, I think you're out of luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Newer BMWs can turn on the ventilation system based on a timer in one of the menus, but except for something like the new i3 that uses a heat pump, the compressor on the a/c unit only runs with the engine on and heat only happens when the engine has warmed up. So, I think you're out of luck.
drat, guess i'll have to look for plain old remote start
and yes the arduino will wake on SMS
Appreciate 0