F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Oil reset unsuccessful
proTUNING Freaks

05-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
meyer30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 94 318is

Garage List
Oil reset unsuccessful

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have a 2013 335i Msport. I'm currently in Germany and they do not honor the free maintenance here. So I have to wait until I get back to the states. So I did another oil change on it myself and tried to reset the oil indicator but it says that it is unsuccessful. I also noticed that I am unable to check the oil level. It just tells me that it is inactive. I suppose it is possible the oil sensor has gone bad. I just hate dealing with the German dealerships.
      05-04-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Erm ... just pay a dealer to do an oil change ?

1. You can afford to buy (or at the least, lease) a 335i.
2. You can afford to fuel, insure, tyres, etc. on a 335i.
3. You try to skimp and save on an oil change.

Yup, that really makes sense. You now have a car that is (according to the car's sytems) overdue an oil change. If you have problems with it, then BMW are getting partial grounds for rejecting a warranty claim. All because you've tried to save 200-300 euros.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Erm ... just pay a dealer to do an oil change ?

1. You can afford to buy (or at the least, lease) a 335i.
2. You can afford to fuel, insure, tyres, etc. on a 335i.
3. You try to skimp and save on an oil change.

Yup, that really makes sense. You now have a car that is (according to the car's sytems) overdue an oil change. If you have problems with it, then BMW are getting partial grounds for rejecting a warranty claim. All because you've tried to save 200-300 euros.
A bit harsh?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
A bit harsh?
No kidding. Its an oil change not brain surgery. No reason a dealer needs to do it at all.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

A bit harsh ? Maybe

But if the OP has (in a year or 2) a massive engine failure, then BMW will have good grounds to reject his warranty claim.

I can't say how it works in the USA, but in all of Europe (where the OP currently is) then you CAN go outside the dealer network to get your car serviced, and still maintain your warranty. However, there are a couple of conditions.

1. The parts must be SHOWN TO BE either original manufacturer parts, or be at least as good quality.
2. The work MUST BE carried out by a proper, registered garage, and invoiced.

Failure to do that means that, as far as BMW would be concerned, the car hadn't been serviced, and if you tried claiming against them in a court, then the court would probably come down on their side.
In addition, over here you'll occasionally get 'goodwill' outside of warranty periods, where they will contribute some of the cost. However, that only happens if you've kept the car within main agent network for all servicing.

A bit harsh ? Yes. But probably less harsh than spending a few thousand on getting the engine rebuilt.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep
A bit harsh ? Maybe

But if the OP has (in a year or 2) a massive engine failure, then BMW will have good grounds to reject his warranty claim.

I can't say how it works in the USA, but in all of Europe (where the OP currently is) then you CAN go outside the dealer network to get your car serviced, and still maintain your warranty. However, there are a couple of conditions.

1. The parts must be SHOWN TO BE either original manufacturer parts, or be at least as good quality.
2. The work MUST BE carried out by a proper, registered garage, and invoiced.

Failure to do that means that, as far as BMW would be concerned, the car hadn't been serviced, and if you tried claiming against them in a court, then the court would probably come down on their side.
In addition, over here you'll occasionally get 'goodwill' outside of warranty periods, where they will contribute some of the cost. However, that only happens if you've kept the car within main agent network for all servicing.

A bit harsh ? Yes. But probably less harsh than spending a few thousand on getting the engine rebuilt.
Take a chill pill man! If you don't want to answer the OPs query; fine. Save the 3rd degree for someone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Meyer,
I replaced the oil and reset the counter fine the other day. No issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer30 View Post
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have a 2013 335i Msport. I'm currently in Germany and they do not honor the free maintenance here. So I have to wait until I get back to the states. So I did another oil change on it myself and tried to reset the oil indicator but it says that it is unsuccessful. I also noticed that I am unable to check the oil level. It just tells me that it is inactive. I suppose it is possible the oil sensor has gone bad. I just hate dealing with the German dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
meyer30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 94 318is

Garage List
I wasn't going to get into a debate on doing my own maintenance. However I took it to the dealer and what happened was a "marlon", I think that is how it is spelled, crawled under the car and chewed up the wiring to one of the oil sensors. So the dealership in Wurzburg repaired it for me. And they had no issues with me doing my own oil change. In fact they went ahead and updated the service info in their computer systems.
      12-29-2015, 01:15 AM   #9
rickyrocket
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I have the same issue with reset unsuccessful. Anybody has any clue why and how to solve it?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #10
benzin
Rep
Drives: E92 320i F30 328i

Do you have the oil level inactive in the Idrive ?
In that case you need to reset the fault with OBD than you can reset service.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
Mmbroo
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Just had this same issue. Mine was happening because the system time was reset when my battery was disconnected. Reset date/time and was able to successfully reset the counters.
Appreciate 1