F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Fairly new 335i owner. What to do 1st?!
Studio RSR

05-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
BatDad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 AW DCT

Fairly new 335i owner. What to do 1st?!

Hey there everyone. I have been lurking around the past few months and have learned a lot about my car from all of you, thanks!

I bought my first BMW about 6 months ago. 2013 335i sedan, black on black, sport line. I love it. Best car I have ever owned and still find myself going for drives just for fun after my kids are in bed. I've got the itch to do something new now, but not sure where to start. What were some of your first mods? I know I would like the car lowered a little, but don't know the best way to go about it. I'm also looking into the PPK or Dynan for a performance boost. I understand the PPK pretty well, but the Dynan products have me a little confused as far as the stages go.

The more I read I kind of wish I would have found an M Sport and sometimes consider trading in for one before I get started with all of this. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Are you all with sport lines happy without having an M Sport? I want something that isn't like the rest. Nothing flashy, just looking to get the most out of my car. Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

The grass is always greener, trust me!

Do research here and look other people's rides, start with easy stuff that's cheap and that you can DIY. Tint is always a nice start, wheels are a great move, do lowering later once you've learned more. ppk seems like a good start, I doubt dinan cracks the DME for a while, piggyback tunes like jb4 as less optimal but do your research. An exhaust would be a great move, people here like the MPE, which is essentially a muffler. Again, do your research cause there are products at way different price points. Decide if you can DIY some stuff or will need to pay labor, which can be expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

I have the same car, and couldn't be happier.

I've bought it w/m403 wheels (19" MSport wheels), window tint and M Performance Exhaust already installed.

What I did up to now: Sirius activation, Debadged (removed the 335i and the Sport), modified the light switch to prepare for rear fog coding.

Next, have the calipers painted either red or yellow (not sure yet), and start coding options into it.

Still debating about getting a JB4 or a M Performance Power Kit.

I've been on the various forums since I've bought my 1st BMW, and it's a great source of inspiration (and crazy spending, sometimes).

Happy mods !
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
BatDad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
The grass is always greener, trust me!

Do research here and look other people's rides, start with easy stuff that's cheap and that you can DIY. Tint is always a nice start, wheels are a great move, do lowering later once you've learned more. ppk seems like a good start, I doubt dinan cracks the DME for a while, piggyback tunes like jb4 as less optimal but do your research. An exhaust would be a great move, people here like the MPE, which is essentially a muffler. Again, do your research cause there are products at way different price points. Decide if you can DIY some stuff or will need to pay labor, which can be expensive.
Do you mean the grass is greener as in getting an m sport lol??

Ive already tinted the windows. Black leather in Atlanta during the summer can be brutal! Theres apparently a pretty well known place right around the corner from me called "Performing Imports" that does excellent work. Seems like you get so much from Dinan than you do from the PPK which is what I'm struggling with as far as that goes.

What is the benefit of just getting a muffler? Just for sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
TheKing91
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT M Sport 328i

Step one: Lower it
      05-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDad View Post
Do you mean the grass is greener as in getting an m sport lol??

Ive already tinted the windows. Black leather in Atlanta during the summer can be brutal! Theres apparently a pretty well known place right around the corner from me called "Performing Imports" that does excellent work. Seems like you get so much from Dinan than you do from the PPK which is what I'm struggling with as far as that goes.

What is the benefit of just getting a muffler? Just for sound?
Yea, first you want an M-sport, then a 4 series, then an e90 m3, then a f80 m3, then M5 etc. There is always something better, my point is to be happy with what you got and look into ways you could make it better (rather than doing something expensive like switching cars).

Does Dinan have an actual ECU flash, or also a piggyback? The flash is more expensive but should be more robust. Yea the MPE is a muffler, I guess people claim returns of 15 HP, who knows. My buddy did a test pipe cat delete (in MI no smog required) and said that really opened up the sound + performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

BatDad where are you located? Rather than mod the car mod the driver. Get out to a BMW Car Club driving school. Drive that car close to the way it was meant to be driven
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
BatDad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
I have the same car, and couldn't be happier.

I've bought it w/m403 wheels (19" MSport wheels), window tint and M Performance Exhaust already installed.

What I did up to now: Sirius activation, Debadged (removed the 335i and the Sport), modified the light switch to prepare for rear fog coding.

Next, have the calipers painted either red or yellow (not sure yet), and start coding options into it.

Still debating about getting a JB4 or a M Performance Power Kit.

I've been on the various forums since I've bought my 1st BMW, and it's a great source of inspiration (and crazy spending, sometimes).

Happy mods !
Why did you go with the M Performance Exhaust first over the PPK? I have thought about debadging. Mine only has "335i" and nothing else. Do people do that for an overall cleaner look?

Are you happy with black? I love black cars but keeping them clean is a pill. Seems like there is more to worry about with the paint. When they are clean though nothing looks better! I barely wanted to drive mine last month due to all the pollen lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
BatDad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing91 View Post
Step one: Lower it
Whats the best way to go about it? I have 18" wheels but might want to upgrade one day to 19" or 20". Will lowering before that mess with that in the future? I don't like the "slammed" look, just would prefer a nice clean fit
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
BatDad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Yea, first you want an M-sport, then a 4 series, then an e90 m3, then a f80 m3, then M5 etc. There is always something better, my point is to be happy with what you got and look into ways you could make it better (rather than doing something expensive like switching cars).

Does Dinan have an actual ECU flash, or also a piggyback? The flash is more expensive but should be more robust. Yea the MPE is a muffler, I guess people claim returns of 15 HP, who knows. My buddy did a test pipe cat delete (in MI no smog required) and said that really opened up the sound + performance.
Haha I gotcha. Yeah I have already been checking out 435's and the new M3. But you are right, I should be happy with what I have and go from there. Nothing wrong with a 335 Sport at all . To be honest I don't know all the details with Dinan. I called a shop today to get some information and am expecting a call back.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
BatDad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
BatDad where are you located? Rather than mod the car mod the driver. Get out to a BMW Car Club driving school. Drive that car close to the way it was meant to be driven
Man I would LOVE to do that. I am just north of Atlanta, GA. Something like that would be a blast.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I want something that isn't like the rest.
In CA, that makes 3 series a bad choice! Tons of them around here

The M sport cosmetic parts are all available for sale, if you really want the look, go for it.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Why did you go with the M Performance Exhaust first over the PPK?
Because it was already on the car when I've bought it.

Quote:
I have thought about debadging. Mine only has "335i" and nothing else. Do people do that for an overall cleaner look?
Mainly for look. If your 335i is a sport, should be a sport badge on each of the front fender. I did remove those as well.

Quote:
Are you happy with black? I love black cars but keeping them clean is a pill. Seems like there is more to worry about with the paint. When they are clean though nothing looks better! I barely wanted to drive mine last month due to all the pollen lol!
See my signature... Not my 1st black BMW, and I don't think it'll be the last either. Harder to keep clean, but when cleaned, hard to beat !
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man I would LOVE to do that. I am just north of Atlanta, GA. Something like that would be a blast.
You have one of the best road courses in the country in your backyard (Road Atlanta). Go look up HPDE's with any of the big 3 - BMW CCA, PCA (Porsche), Audi Club NA. Do a 2 day class with an instructor and some classroom learning, should run you somewhere in the $300-400 range. You'll have a blast!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
bige1919
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Quote:
Hey there everyone. I have been lurking around the past few months and have learned a lot about my car from all of you, thanks!

I bought my first BMW about 6 months ago. 2013 335i sedan, black on black, sport line. I love it. Best car I have ever owned and still find myself going for drives just for fun after my kids are in bed. I've got the itch to do something new now, but not sure where to start. What were some of your first mods? I know I would like the car lowered a little, but don't know the best way to go about it. I'm also looking into the PPK or Dynan for a performance boost. I understand the PPK pretty well, but the Dynan products have me a little confused as far as the stages go.

The more I read I kind of wish I would have found an M Sport and sometimes consider trading in for one before I get started with all of this. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Are you all with sport lines happy without having an M Sport? I want something that isn't like the rest. Nothing flashy, just looking to get the most out of my car. Thanks everyone
I also recently bought a 2013 335i sportline and couldn't be happier. From what I understand most of the M sport stuff is cosmetic. But if you really want it you can buy the m sport accessories and install them yourself.

Mine came with Pirelli all season tires as I live in Ohio. I think the first thing I'm going to do is get rid of the run flats and get a set of staggered summer wheels and tires and put winter tires on the stock rims. You probably don't have to worry too much about the winter in Atlanta. Although you guys seemed to have a rough time with a little bit of snow this year Don't forget about tires, they're one of the best and easiest performance mods you can do.

This is also my first BMW and I'm coming from the Subaru world where they do a lot of modifications. In terms of engine tuning the PPK seems pretty expensive for what you get. I realize you do get the peace of mind of having it covered by warranty. Have you thought about waiting until after your warranty and getting another type of tune which is less expensive and gives you more power?

Are you more interested in performance or aesthetics? With performance you can basically focus on power, handling, or braking and go from there. The rule of thumb that I've learned is do handling and braking mods first, that way when you upgrade the power the car can handle it. But it's hard because power mods are the most fun
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #16
Bernard335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M Sport M Performance

I have the M Sport, with the MPerformance kit, but here is some "inspiration" it's a car here in South Africa, from Cape Town, I think it's the Schnitzer kit.
Unfortunately I saw the other day that it's for sale and the suspension is back at the stock height.

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

The single biggest bang for the dollar is a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. The difference is astounding. You get that buttoned down planted feel of the ultimate BMW in spades. 19" looks nice but 18" will provide the quintessential glued to the road feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Do everything I've done.👍👍

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #19
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard335 View Post
I have the M Sport, with the MPerformance kit, but here is some "inspiration" it's a car here in South Africa, from Cape Town, I think it's the Schnitzer kit.
Unfortunately I saw the other day that it's for sale and the suspension is back at the stock height.

Hope this helps
Now that is what I would call a perfect drop! I like the look of the M-sport side skirts w/ the sportline front bumper & painted lip.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #20
BatDad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige1919 View Post
Although you guys seemed to have a rough time with a little bit of snow this year

Ha! Guess who was stuck on the road for 5 hours 3 miles away from his house during that little one inch catastrophe....this guy!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #21
BatDad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige1919 View Post
In terms of engine tuning the PPK seems pretty expensive for what you get. I realize you do get the peace of mind of having it covered by warranty. Have you thought about waiting until after your warranty and getting another type of tune which is less expensive and gives you more power?

Are you more interested in performance or aesthetics? With performance you can basically focus on power, handling, or braking and go from there. The rule of thumb that I've learned is do handling and braking mods first, that way when you upgrade the power the car can handle it. But it's hard because power mods are the most fun
Honestly I am interested in both, but more towards performance. As far as aesthetics go I think the car is beautiful on its own, but would like it lowered a bit. I have been looking really hard at the H&R Sport Springs. I think I would be happy with an exhaust, tune, and springs at this point.

I visited the dealership today to chat and they first tried to lean me towards a 2014 M Sport, which would cost me an additional 10k. That just didn't make sense to me. He really tried to lay it on to me that any money spent on mods would see no return at all when I was ready to trade in/sell. I understand that, which is why I don't want to get to crazy with everything.

He understood though and told me about a shop right down the road that does what I'm looking for. Two former head techs actually started the business. I swung by there and chatted for a while and told them what I was looking for and they are looking into what they can do for me.

When it comes to springs/exhaust/tuning what should I be looking for? Are the H&R springs good? Should I stick with OEM and go for the M Performance Exhaust or something like Dinan? As far as tuning goes I want something that will be definitely noticeable, but won't jack up my car lol. I don't think Dinan has anything out yet for the f30, but I understand Burger does with the Stage 1 and JB4. Too much to figure out lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #22
tuned2ride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, S5 SB, looking for a M340

Pray.
Appreciate 0