THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M235i aFe Power intake dyno test

05-06-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
Brings
Clap Trap~
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '93 NSX

M235i aFe Power intake dyno test

Just got my car dynoed at European Auto Source with JUST the aFe Power Magnum FORCE intake (open cone filter):

Results:

All dyno runs were done at European Auto Source, so there was no change in the dyno used.
Disclaimer: This is my own personal testing since I wanted to see the results for myself, so this is not a scientific test.

I did a stock dyno run of my car a few weeks ago where it yielded 302whp/320wtq with the IAT at 122F with ambient temps around 70F.

When I did the dyno test of my car with the aFe intake, the ambient temp was 100F! Unfortunately, I couldn't get the stock intake dyno done on the same day, so this is all I can report on.
With the aFe intake (no other mods), the car netted 8whp and 25wtq with IATs at 140F. A great gain in my opinion, considering the weather.

Then came the heatsoak test where we left the hood closed and the car idling for several minutes. The car lost 7whp and 6wtq (from stock values on a much cooler day) with IATs of 162F. It was not as bad as I thought it would be considering how much the armchair engineers complain about how bad it is.

Additionally, the IATs were actually quite close to each between the stock airbox and the aFe Power intake when I was driving around town (this was done back to back when I installed the aFe intake):

Really though, it would be relatively difficult to get IATs like in the heatsoak test unless you were letting the car idle in one place (on a very hot day) with no airflow. I actually tried to get the aFe intake to heatsoak while I was in eAs's parking lot, but was only able to get the IATs up to 150F (displayed using my Awron gauge) with ambient temps of 103F by idling the car for 10 minutes. After a quick drive though, it would drop down to the 127F range (much lower than what I was getting in the eAs warehouse) with the same ambient temps.

Here it is after idling for 10 minutes:

While driving at low speed (with A/C on) up and down the street at eAs:

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this intake. The power gains definitely outweigh the potential heatsoak that results in minimal power loss which really only occurs in very hot weather conditions with the car not moving. All the people who complain about the heatsoak are certainly not wrong, but I'd rather have this extra power pretty much in every driving situation than not.

Last edited by Brings; 05-06-2014 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 GT-R, '02 996TT

Hmmmm... so it seems like it actually does *not* suck up more hot air as the "internet engineers" speculate and produces more power too!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Good notes OP.

Any car is going to be brought down by heat soak, even with the OEM box.
      05-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

Nice numbers. I'm pretty new BMW modifications coming from the Subaru world, so forgive me if this sounds odd. So no worries about tuning issues when adding this intake? I know an intake without tuning on a Subaru is usually a dangerous proposition so is this still safe?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1rd3y3 View Post
Nice numbers. I'm pretty new BMW modifications coming from the Subaru world, so forgive me if this sounds odd. So no worries about tuning issues when adding this intake? I know an intake without tuning on a Subaru is usually a dangerous proposition so is this still safe?
You are right, I'm coming from a late model WRX over to the M235i myself and decided that the only way I was going to change the OEM airbox out was with a tune. Now, I haven't purchased a Pro-Tune (yet), but the JB4 Stage 1 was price low enough to go with and added the aFe Intake. When dyno'd together they had good numbers with a nearly 10% increase in peak power, but more important was the AFR was nearly unchanged from stock values keeping me safe from fueling problems that one normally sees with a CAI alone.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
You are right, I'm coming from a late model WRX over to the M235i myself and decided that the only way I was going to change the OEM airbox out was with a tune. Now, I haven't purchased a Pro-Tune (yet), but the JB4 Stage 1 was price low enough to go with and added the aFe Intake. When dyno'd together they had good numbers with a nearly 10% increase in peak power, but more important was the AFR was nearly unchanged from stock values keeping me safe from fueling problems that one normally sees with a CAI alone.
Awesome, that's excellent to know. I'll most likely go for the JB4 or some tuning option first as the gains per $ are much better that way, but I'd prefer a few more options before jumping into that ring.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

That gage is awesome !! Great test OP. Can you elaborate on fueling problems from CAI only? I like CAI's for the induction sound, never felt a power difference. Wasn't planning on a tune, is there a problem with just a CAI?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
That gage is awesome !! Great test OP. Can you elaborate on fueling problems from CAI only? I like CAI's for the induction sound, never felt a power difference. Wasn't planning on a tune, is there a problem with just a CAI?
probably not. I ran intake + exhaust on my 128i and I got better MPG and better throttle response.
      05-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #9
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Do to the nature of a CAI allowing more airflow over the factory unit will cause your ECU to modify fueling with the change in airflow. Some manufacturer ECU's might not do a good job with the corrections while others do a better job with the corrections. Adding CAI is usually best done when you have a professional tuner modify the cars ECU table settings to get the most out of the change. Not tuning after just a CAI usually does not do much in the way of performance (depending on the CAI design) other than increase intake noise (air whistle) since the factory intake baffle has been removed.

Factory intakes are engineered and design the way they are based on compartment space, efficiency, and noise level. Much in the way your entire factory exhaust is designed. The issue is with air quality restrictions throughout the world have to be consider by the engineers when designing the systems. With globally deployed vehicles this is even harder for the engineers as they have to consider those various restrictions in each market and design a system that meets all of them. Aftermarket manufacturers are not so worried about clean air products as they are in power and sound it produces.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Captain_Burgundy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Min Gray / Coral / 6MT

Any drone with this intake, especially on the 2-3K RMP for highway?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Burgundy View Post

intakes dont "drone". but no, any intake will sound stock 2-3k rpm unless u give it some gas. even then you'll hear more of the turbo wit the intake
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
kerm1t
Captain
Rep

how much was to dyno? and how many pulls?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #13
Brings
Clap Trap~
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '93 NSX

Quote:
Drone doesn't really apply in this case since it won't make any noises while cruising with light throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
It starts at $95 for 3 pulls. If you intend to do more, you'll probably want to call eAs for a custom quote.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #14
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
We'll be at eAs tomorrow @kerm1t - you should stop by since you're in SoCal too .
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 03:51 AM   #15
kerm1t
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredibleM View Post
We'll be at eAs tomorrow @kerm1t - you should stop by since you're in SoCal too .

haha yea i would love too, but works been biting me in the ass. its a little early but we should get a dyno day going
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #16
Captain_Burgundy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Min Gray / Coral / 6MT

Could you describe your opinion of the engine sound?

1. Much Louder
2. Just some light "Swishing" with acceleration
3. Hardly a change
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
kerm1t
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Could you describe your opinion of the engine sound?

1. Much Louder
2. Just some light "Swishing" with acceleration
3. Hardly a change
again, its not a exhaust or something. the sound will be just like stock only you will hear ur diverter valve "woosh"

its not like honda cars where you add an intake and you get that throaty sound.

1. no
2. yes
3. yes
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmmmm... so it seems like it actually does *not* suck up more hot air as the "internet engineers" speculate and produces more power too!

How can you suck hot air from the engine compartment with the hood open and huge fan blowing at it? All this proves is that you can make more power with this intake if you drive around with the hood open. I prefer to drive with my hood down.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #19
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
How can you suck hot air from the engine compartment with the hood open and huge fan blowing at it? All this proves is that you can make more power with this intake if you drive around with the hood open. I prefer to drive with my hood down.
I was there when he did the dyno test... The test was done with the hood opened and closed which both yielded the same power curve (gains in horsepower and torque). In addition, the intake air temperatures between stock and aftermarket were the same, so this shows it can make more power at the same temperatures and probably because its able to move more volume of air into the engine. Hopefully this answers your question.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #20
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Revising an old thread here but very nice results.. I'm pretty surprised at the stock numbers though, is the dyno they have there overly optimistic, 320 TQ at the wheels seems pretty nuts.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
YYZF22N55
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brings
Just got my car dynoed at European Auto Source with JUST the aFe Power Magnum FORCE intake (open cone filter):

Results:

All dyno runs were done at European Auto Source, so there was no change in the dyno used.
Disclaimer: This is my own personal testing since I wanted to see the results for myself, so this is not a scientific test.

I did a stock dyno run of my car a few weeks ago where it yielded 302whp/320wtq with the IAT at 122F with ambient temps around 70F.

When I did the dyno test of my car with the aFe intake, the ambient temp was 100F! Unfortunately, I couldn't get the stock intake dyno done on the same day, so this is all I can report on.
With the aFe intake (no other mods), the car netted 8whp and 25wtq with IATs at 140F. A great gain in my opinion, considering the weather.

Then came the heatsoak test where we left the hood closed and the car idling for several minutes. The car lost 7whp and 6wtq (from stock values on a much cooler day) with IATs of 162F. It was not as bad as I thought it would be considering how much the armchair engineers complain about how bad it is.

Additionally, the IATs were actually quite close to each between the stock airbox and the aFe Power intake when I was driving around town (this was done back to back when I installed the aFe intake):

Really though, it would be relatively difficult to get IATs like in the heatsoak test unless you were letting the car idle in one place (on a very hot day) with no airflow. I actually tried to get the aFe intake to heatsoak while I was in eAs's parking lot, but was only able to get the IATs up to 150F (displayed using my Awron gauge) with ambient temps of 103F by idling the car for 10 minutes. After a quick drive though, it would drop down to the 127F range (much lower than what I was getting in the eAs warehouse) with the same ambient temps.

Here it is after idling for 10 minutes:

While driving at low speed (with A/C on) up and down the street at eAs:

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this intake. The power gains definitely outweigh the potential heatsoak that results in minimal power loss which really only occurs in very hot weather conditions with the car not moving. All the people who complain about the heatsoak are certainly not wrong, but I'd rather have this extra power pretty much in every driving situation than not.
Hey OP. Did you get the Dry S or Pro 5 R filter?

Notice any increase in MPG?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
This has been brought up many times...as one will not likely drive their car at a standstill while the engine is revving at 7k rpm, dyno runs should be performed with proper airflow(simulating a moving vehicle) to the air inlet(s).
Appreciate 0