F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Msport bumper, coilovers, golf tee mod voided warranty??!!
GetBMWParts

05-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
fherjohn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 e93

Msport bumper, coilovers, golf tee mod voided warranty??!!

Before I get into details I would like to give you guys an idea of all the work I have done to my f30 that I purchased from the dealership last December. I have an msport front bumper and kw v2 coilovers both installed by LTMW. I also did the golf tee mod where you unplug the wire by the exhaust to keep it wide open at all times so it's louder. All these mods have been on for at least 2 months.

Fast forward to last Monday. I took my car to a local Carwash. They usually don't drive my car through the car wash tunnel since it is lowered but that day they decide to drive it through. I got my car back after they finished up and almost lost it. They had cracked my front bumper, my outside temperature was reading - 40 and my ac wouldn't get cold. I also got my check engine light on. The car wash hooked up the obd2 to see what errors I was getting and It said "ambient temperature sensor".

Carwash agreed that they caused the damage and offered to fix it through their body shop. The body shop started he repairs and informed me that the ambient temperature sensor was damaged since it is located by the bumper where the damage was done by the Carwash. The body shop replaced the sensor and fixed my bumper so I figured my car was good as new. Temperature was reading correctly, ac was working like it should and check engine light went away.

I was wrong and got a new error this time. I was getting "excessive battery discharge" error now. Everything seemed fine but that error. I took the car to the dealership to have them try to figure out what was going on with my car and hopefully get it fixed under warranty.

Now back to my mods.. Since I have those following mods the dealership said they have to run a couple diagnostics but since my car is "excessively modified" I have to pay for the diagnostics. Keep in mind I didn't mention anything about the bumper being repaired recently because I don't want them voiding my warranty for sure.

What's the best thing to do on my part? I already signed the release form from the body shop when I took delivery of my car so they are saying they are done with the repair and won't reimburse me for any additional work being performed on my car, dealership most likely won't fix it for free since I am modified which leaves me to pay for everything out of pocket. Should I just pay for everything and take the car wash to small claims or the easier way and try to get the dealership to perform this as warranty work? I was always under the impression that you can mod whatever you want and as long as the mods aren't related to problems having with the car then it won't void the warranty. In my case my mods aren't anything electrical related. Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone here can chime in. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
KnoxDawg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328i

Your dealership is screwing with you. Just as you said, nothing electrical has been modified, therefore nothing you have done has caused the excessive battery drain error. They have to prove that the mods you have done have caused the failure in order for them to deny warranty repairs, which they won't be able to do. Either speak to the service manager or take it to another dealer.
      05-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
fherjohn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The service advisor was basically telling me that for them to look for the problem they have to run the diagnostics first. Since I am "modded" I have to pay for it. I've never heard of this and have always gone to this dealership for work and never had problems. My e90 had similar mods and not once have I had any type of issues with warranty work. All of this because of a car wash. Smfh
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

This is why always take my cars to Body shops recommended by the dealership.
Weird that your mods would void warranty . Must be bumper replacement related. Tell BMW what happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
fherjohn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Looks like I will have to. Thanks fellas
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

good luck. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Good luck. I've never heard of the "excessively modded hence you have to pay to DIAGNOSE the problem" statement. That's ridiculous. Excessive battery drain could be any of a hundred different problems. Very unlikely this is related to your lowering of the car or front bumper. I'm with you on this. I'd do my best to talk to a service manager (politely) and give them a chance to make this right. My second plan would be another dealer. If you're still getting the runaround, it may be worth some legal help. You do have rights here, and the burden is on BMW to show that your changes voided their warranty. A general "you modded it, you have to pay to even figure out the problem" doesn't cut it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

The problem here is that you originally had the front bumper installed by a 3rd party along with your other modifications. As soon as you remove any body equipment, it is actually impacting electrical connections because you must remove them in order to replace the bumper. In the dealers' eyes, and likely BMW's warranty, you have voided your warranty by having unauthorized repair technicians work on the car in relation to your electrical harness. I'm sorry that you are in this situation but I highly doubt you will get any help from BMW in this regard, and it is very unlikely they are required to help you.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
The problem here is that you originally had the front bumper installed by a 3rd party along with your other modifications. As soon as you remove any body equipment, it is actually impacting electrical connections because you must remove them in order to replace the bumper. In the dealers' eyes, and likely BMW's warranty, you have voided your warranty by having unauthorized repair technicians work on the car in relation to your electrical harness. I'm sorry that you are in this situation but I highly doubt you will get any help from BMW in this regard, and it is very unlikely they are required to help you.
Yup, this x100.

You're likely screwed due to what caused the electrical issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Yup, this x100.

You're likely screwed due to what caused the electrical issues.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Additionally the open wire on the exhaust flap creates a hidden flag. If they don't see it it can take a while for them to figure out what is wrong.

The plug should always be connected when you go for service.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
fherjohn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fml. Well I hope the damn Carwash pays for it since the problems started after they fucked my car up.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Under Magnus-Moss the dealer must prove that your mods affected the parts/system that caused the failure. However they can charge a diagnostic fee to make that determination - if it turns out that your bumper has nothing to do with the battery discharge, then everything should be covered under warranty. I believe Magnus-Moss requires proof, meaning the dealer can't just say "I think your bumper messed it up." They must be specific as in, "You replaced this piece of the electrical system with a non-OEM part causing an electrical error therefore you're on your own."

From the FTC rules pertaining to Magnus-Moss: No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Under Magnus-Moss the dealer must prove that your mods affected the parts/system that caused the failure. However they can charge a diagnostic fee to make that determination - if it turns out that your bumper has nothing to do with the battery discharge, then everything should be covered under warranty. I believe Magnus-Moss requires proof, meaning the dealer can't just say "I think your bumper messed it up." They must be specific as in, "You replaced this piece of the electrical system with a non-OEM part causing an electrical error therefore you're on your own."

From the FTC rules pertaining to Magnus-Moss: No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance.
Do performance and body modifications really count as "non-warranty service and maintenance"? I would think not. To me that would be things such as changing brake pads, oil, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
Do performance and body modifications really count as "non-warranty service and maintenance"? I would think not. To me that would be things such as changing brake pads, oil, etc.
If you're saying that performance and body mods are excluded from Magnuson-Moss, then I don't think so. If that was the case, then manufacturers could claim that a bumper sticker or license plate frame voided your new car warranty. The whole point is to make manufacturers act in a manner we (normal people) consider reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #16
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
If you're saying that performance and body mods are excluded from Magnuson-Moss, then I don't think so. If that was the case, then manufacturers could claim that a bumper sticker or license plate frame voided your new car warranty. The whole point is to make manufacturers act in a manner we (normal people) consider reasonable.
In my line of work we use the concept of materiality quite a bit. A bumper sticker is not a material alteration of the vehicle so a reasonable person wouldn't expect it to void the warranty. Same as using non-OEM brake pads or washer fluid, for example. Changing suspension components or a bumper (which requires electrical components to be connect/disconnected) and also disconnecting and permanently obstructing exhaust components would be material in my mind. Its reasonable that if those actions caused the problem then the warranty does not apply.

Basically, if the dealer can show that the mods caused the issue then the warranty is voided. If the dealer can't prove it then the warranty should be honoured. Diagnostic costs should be paid by the customer only in the event that the warranty is proven to be void.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
Basically, if the dealer can show that the mods caused the issue then the warranty is voided. If the dealer can't prove it then the warranty should be honoured. Diagnostic costs should be paid by the customer only in the event that the warranty is proven to be void.
Completely agree and exactly what I was trying to say in my original post.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
KnoxDawg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook
Quote:
In my line of work we use the concept of materiality quite a bit. A bumper sticker is not a material alteration of the vehicle so a reasonable person wouldn't expect it to void the warranty. Same as using non-OEM brake pads or washer fluid, for example. Changing suspension components or a bumper (which requires electrical components to be connect/disconnected) and also disconnecting and permanently obstructing exhaust components would be material in my mind. Its reasonable that if those actions caused the problem then the warranty does not apply.

+1, completely agree.