E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Caliper bracket bent? How to tell?(long)

05-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
ThatGuyMikee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e90 6spd

Caliper bracket bent? How to tell?(long)

Long story short, my friends e90 hit a curb with the front rim and bent control arms, what was replaced

All pass side control arms
Wheel bearing
New pads and rotors

Problem is now , rims doesnt spin as smoothly as the drivers side, what i mean about that is you spin the drivers rim when the car is in the air and the rim spins smooth on its own, passenger side has what seems like the brake pad making contact with the rotor stoping the rim after a turn and a half,

Caliper piston moved freely in and out, caliper guide pins dont move as free, replaced guide pins with new oem, still have the problem, then moved to solid brass bushings and still same, nothing looks bent compared to
The other side, also while drving u can
Hear the pad touching the rotor as it gives off a loud squeak every one revolution, and when coming to a stop makes a loud sqeak/grind noise only when brakes applyed on light to medium braking

Spindle does not seem bent at all nor does the caliper bracket it self

Any ideas b4 we change anything else?

Some people buy cars to look at them and call them their babies, but not me. This car is my bitch and I bought it to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
rowingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 xi

I had a brake noise and suspected the caliper carrier after checking everything else . . I ended up swapping the carriers from one side to the other as the part numbers are the same . . visually I couldnt see any problems but there must have been a slight warp in one .. I suggest you swap them and see if the problem follows the part.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

I would check your disc and hub flange run out. A bent caliper, generally, won't cause a one per rev rub. It would rub all the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
ThatGuyMikee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e90 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
I would check your disc and hub flange run out. A bent caliper, generally, won't cause a one per rev rub. It would rub all the time.
So check the mating surface of the hub and spindle also? Culd the spindle itself be cocked slightly from the hit?
Appreciate 0