THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Extended warranty

05-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Did anyone purchase extended warranty with their new car? I've never had any major problems with my 2004 e46 but now that the cars are so computer controlled I was thinking of extending my soon to be purchased m235i warranty to 7 years... Thoughts? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

STF been discussed in detail. Short answer: foolish to do now wait until factory warranty is about to expire then decide.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
STF been discussed in detail. Short answer: foolish to do now wait until factory warranty is about to expire then decide.
That is still a point of confusion for me because on another brand of car, the manufacture's extended warranty was significantly cheaper if purchased along with car purchase...and I did extensive cost research on buying at time of purchase (actually I bought it a few weeks after purchase) versus delaying. So maybe this is different for BMW. What we really need is to do is a cost comparison of warranty cost at time of purchase on a 235 versus warranty cost of a 135 that is just under 4 years old with 47,000 miles on it. That would be tough to do because you need both VIN's from what a dealer told me recently.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
FoxCrane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blue

Yeah you should wait. Who knows what will happen between now and 4 years from now.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
SweetDee
Humble Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue 2020 M4 Comp

Personally I agree with the consensus thus far. I've previously purchased these extended warranties and I've always regretted it. I'm the type that always says they are going to keep a car for life then within a year or two I spot something else I like and I'm eating my words.

They talk to you into it because yes you can finance it along with the car and you can normally get a refund if you cancel it early, you never get your full amount back and despite the fact that you are buying it cheaper, the value of the warranty begins to depreciate despite the fact that it probably won't kick in until after the factory warranty of 4 years/50k miles.

If you get to that point and still decide that you want to keep this car forever, then a warranty is probably worth consideration given the repair costs but if you are willing to deal with a higher deductible you can still pick one up (even 3rd party) for a decent price while still protecting you from catastrophic failure.

The only thing I will probably consider is a tire warranty and based on the reasonable price of the Michelin Pilot SSs, I probably won't consider it for very long.

For every horror story you read about someone that didn't have a warranty, there are multiples of examples of people that didn't buy one and never needed it. You just don't hear about those because those people are too busy driving their cars to waste time to post a thread that they never needed an extended warranty.

To each their own but my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
eatsmeetswes
Rep
Drives: 228i

I drive 25-30k miles a year. With the standard warranty, I've got a year or two before I go through the standard warranty. I do not foresee reselling the car in the next 5 years. Given the mileage I pack on, is the warranty worthwhile? I'm picking up my car early next week and it's my understanding that the warranty is a lot cheaper upfront and will extend the coverage to 100k miles.

From a wear and tear/mileage perspective, I should've gotten a Prius but given the daily commute, I'd rather drive something I enjoy.
Appreciate 0