THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery New to BMW, first order ever

05-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

New to BMW, first order ever

Hi fellas,

This is my first time purchasing a premium German car. Test drove the Gli, a3, a4, cla250, c300, and 228i. As soon as I got back to the dealership from my td with the 228i, there was no comparison. So much fun.

Placed my order on May 7th, and per the 800 number it's in production with estimated completion May 21st. Can't believe how exciting this is to be factory ordering a car, and a BMW too.

I can't wait for the car to get here. Seems a lot of people are doing ED or PCD which I can't do this time but will def consider next time.

My question to you veterans is is there anything I should keep in mind, do or not do once I get the car? Any tips? I'm just really excited. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Outside of the 1200 mile break-in period... I suppose my only advice is to drive it a lot.

Break-in: no redlining, 100+ speeds or heavy engagement of transmission or tires (tires more like 500 miles or so).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantii View Post
Hi fellas,

This is my first time purchasing a premium German car. Test drove the Gli, a3, a4, cla250, c300, and 228i. As soon as I got back to the dealership from my td with the 228i, there was no comparison. So much fun.

Placed my order on May 7th, and per the 800 number it's in production with estimated completion May 21st. Can't believe how exciting this is to be factory ordering a car, and a BMW too.

I can't wait for the car to get here. Seems a lot of people are doing ED or PCD which I can't do this time but will def consider next time.

My question to you veterans is is there anything I should keep in mind, do or not do once I get the car? Any tips? I'm just really excited. Thanks guys
Congrats! What colors and options did you get?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Shakes
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbuff View Post
Congrats! What colors and options did you get?
Congrats, i also order mine that same time and was in last week of May production but i made the change to coral leather seats and pushed my Production down to start of June. Make sure your happy with all your features
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input.

I ordered Alpine White with Coral Red interior with brushed aluminum.

When I placed the ordered, my options were as follows:
-M Sport Package
-Lighting Package
-Cold Weather Pkg.
-Moonroof

Earlier this week I decided that I want the Drivers Assistance package and M-Sport brakes as well. The website showed the car already being in production. I called my CA and he said they can still make the change regardless as there are several stages of production. So I guess its wait and see for those two additional options. Either way, I'll be happy.

I'll snap some pics when the car arrives.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
SuitedUp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

Awesome. If you add power seats to your original build, I've got the same car. Minus the coral red.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update:

Just got a call from my CA with bad news - BMW cant make changes to the original order as the production is already underway. Only thing they can do is add the black grill. A yes, and two NOOOOOss

Should have done it right away. Does anyone know if I can get those M-Sport brakes retrofitted? Or maybe just the blue calipers for looks? Also, hard would it be to install a rearview camera with parking assist? Anyone doing that that you know of?

I'm happy and disappointed at the same time but I'm sure the disappointment wont last as soon as the car gets here.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
TONYH215
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Update:

Just got a call from my CA with bad news - BMW cant make changes to the original order as the production is already underway. Only thing they can do is add the black grill. A yes, and two NOOOOOss

Should have done it right away. Does anyone know if I can get those M-Sport brakes retrofitted? Or maybe just the blue calipers for looks? Also, hard would it be to install a rearview camera with parking assist? Anyone doing that that you know of?

I'm happy and disappointed at the same time but I'm sure the disappointment wont last as soon as the car gets here.
Congrats on ordering the car! I just ordered mine yesterdy, M235i, and I cannot wait.

I'm not sure how simple a retrofit would be for the parking assistant, at the very least I'm pretty sure you'd need a new bumper with the sensors along with the backup camera. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update:

The brakes can probably be retrofitted...people change brakes/brake parts all the time.

The ZDA package parts (camera, PDC sensors, etc.) are going to be much harder to retrofit. You would need new bumper covers, the sensors, potentially changes to the wiring harness, and certainly coding/programming the car to recognize the new hardware.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The brakes can probably be retrofitted...people change brakes/brake parts all the time.

The ZDA package parts (camera, PDC sensors, etc.) are going to be much harder to retrofit. You would need new bumper covers, the sensors, potentially changes to the wiring harness, and certainly coding/programming the car to recognize the new hardware.
Thanks!

Spoke with the service department yesterday regarding the breaks. They can retrofit that for about $800. My question is, are the breaks any different that the stock ones besides the blue calipers? I might go ahead and just go with it as I think it looks so much better with it.

On another note, what is allowed in terms of cosmetic mods to the vehicle under lease? Thanks for all your help fellas
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Thanks!

Spoke with the service department yesterday regarding the breaks. They can retrofit that for about $800. My question is, are the breaks any different that the stock ones besides the blue calipers? I might go ahead and just go with it as I think it looks so much better with it.

On another note, what is allowed in terms of cosmetic mods to the vehicle under lease? Thanks for all your help fellas
You can add any M Performance parts with no problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Yes, the brakes are different. I believe the pads are larger and the calipers are fixed at the rear instead of sliding. But, don't quote me on those specifics. It's more than just a cosmetic upgrade though.

My understanding is that on a lease you can do anything to the car you want, but you have to restore it to the way it was when you return it. Anything that would require drilling, for example, might not be a good idea as you'd be left handing in a car with holes in it if you take the mod off.

That being said, you can almost always safely add BMW accessories and even hand the car in with those still attached. But, you won't get any money back for them; all of this would be out of pocket. Maybe the dealer can add your brakes to the lease contract so they can be residualized...not sure though. Everything you do after delivery will be out of your own pocket.

Here's are some example and I hope others can chime in on their experiences:
- Change kidney grills to black performance ones. Hand car in with those = no problem. Unlikely anyone would even notice.
- Change kidney grills to black performance ones. Remove them and replace with stock ones. Hand car in = no problem. You could then sell the part you just removed.
- Drill holes in trunk to install a wing spoiler. The spoiler would certainly be noticed and removing it would leave you with holes, so that would be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the brakes are different. I believe the pads are larger and the calipers are fixed at the rear instead of sliding. But, don't quote me on those specifics. It's more than just a cosmetic upgrade though.

My understanding is that on a lease you can do anything to the car you want, but you have to restore it to the way it was when you return it. Anything that would require drilling, for example, might not be a good idea as you'd be left handing in a car with holes in it if you take the mod off.

That being said, you can almost always safely add BMW accessories and even hand the car in with those still attached. But, you won't get any money back for them; all of this would be out of pocket. Maybe the dealer can add your brakes to the lease contract so they can be residualized...not sure though. Everything you do after delivery will be out of your own pocket.

Here's are some example and I hope others can chime in on their experiences:
- Change kidney grills to black performance ones. Hand car in with those = no problem. Unlikely anyone would even notice.
- Change kidney grills to black performance ones. Remove them and replace with stock ones. Hand car in = no problem. You could then sell the part you just removed.
- Drill holes in trunk to install a wing spoiler. The spoiler would certainly be noticed and removing it would leave you with holes, so that would be a problem.
Thanks so much for the details. Since you mentioned drilling, I was thinking to put the M-Performance pedals on which requires drilling. Based on your explanation, I don't think I would have to take the OEM BMW parts off. The other thing I am unsure off is window tinting. Is this allowed with a lease? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Nobody will care about tint unless it is dark. If you want 10% be prepared to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #15
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Thanks so much for the details. Since you mentioned drilling, I was thinking to put the M-Performance pedals on which requires drilling. Based on your explanation, I don't think I would have to take the OEM BMW parts off. The other thing I am unsure off is window tinting. Is this allowed with a lease? Thanks
There are aftermarket pedals that don't require drilling. I have a set on order, will post pics once my car's here. BTW, they're a lot cheaper than the OEM pedals too!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenlt View Post
There are aftermarket pedals that don't require drilling. I have a set on order, will post pics once my car's here. BTW, they're a lot cheaper than the OEM pedals too!
Link

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know the details of those pedals, but I believe adding any BMW OEM accessories (including M Performance parts) is okay.

I believe you can tint the windows as long as you abide by whatever the legal tint level is in your area. In fact, I remember the dealer offering me tint and a pinstripe as an add-on on my E46 lease. Paint protection film is probably one of those "no one will care" items as well; I returned a car once with the fenders having film on them and no one noticed (or if they did no one said anything).

I mentioned drilling only as an example. Overall, I think adding things to a leased car all comes down to common sense.

Add legal tint, change the brakes and pedals with BMW M Performance parts, then hand the car back?
No one will likely notice and if they do it won't be a problem (or even be mentioned).

Add illegal tint, take out the trunk lining for aftermarket audio equipment, put in Recaro seats, then hand the car back?
It will surely be noticed and be a problem.

tl;dr - Just use common sense and return to factory condition before turn-in if you're still unsure.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep

Remember also that you have to pay out of pocket for any of these after delivery add-ons. If you don't buy the car out and you can't or don't want to remove the mods before turn-in (to either sell them or move them to another car), you'll be just giving them away to the next owner.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz
Quote:
Link
+1 link pls
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #20
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
+1 link pls
It's from a Chinese supplier. I will post pics when I receive the pedals. If the quality is good and you guys are still interested, I'll see if I can arrange a group buy or something.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #21
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know the details of those pedals, but I believe adding any BMW OEM accessories (including M Performance parts) is okay.

I believe you can tint the windows as long as you abide by whatever the legal tint level is in your area. In fact, I remember the dealer offering me tint and a pinstripe as an add-on on my E46 lease. Paint protection film is probably one of those "no one will care" items as well; I returned a car once with the fenders having film on them and no one noticed (or if they did no one said anything).

I mentioned drilling only as an example. Overall, I think adding things to a leased car all comes down to common sense.

Add legal tint, change the brakes and pedals with BMW M Performance parts, then hand the car back?
No one will likely notice and if they do it won't be a problem (or even be mentioned).

Add illegal tint, take out the trunk lining for aftermarket audio equipment, put in Recaro seats, then hand the car back?
It will surely be noticed and be a problem.

tl;dr - Just use common sense and return to factory condition before turn-in if you're still unsure.
I really appreciate this detailed input!

Quote:
Remember also that you have to pay out of pocket for any of these after delivery add-ons. If you don't buy the car out and you can't or don't want to remove the mods before turn-in (to either sell them or move them to another car), you'll be just giving them away to the next owner.
Definitely something I need to think about.

Quote:
It's from a Chinese supplier. I will post pics when I receive the pedals. If the quality is good and you guys are still interested, I'll see if I can arrange a group buy or something.
That would be great. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #22
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just ordered the M decals for the grill - preview pic http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980371

I also ordered the painted front reflectors as the stock ones look a bit odd and out of place with the whole color scheme. Tomorrow is Monday so I am eager to hear from my dealership about the M-Sport breaking system. I'll keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0