E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Fresh control arm goodness....

05-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Fresh control arm goodness....

After 70,000 miles since the M3 control arm and tension arm upgrade, the lowers were cooked.

My wheel was shimmying, clunks on bumps, slop in steering ect.

Also did Meyle HD endlinks and tie rods.... I know I shouldn't be... but I am blown away with how sharp and new the car feels and sounds.

Part of the pleasure of owning cars like these is keeping them up and maintenance. It amazes me how well this car is holding up. WIth 142,000 miles it feels better than many cars with a tenth the miles. A fresh set of PSS and the car will be spot on for HPDE next week, can't friggin wait!
      05-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
That's how I feel about my car at 128k. With the M3 upgrades front and rear, car feels better than new. Looking forward to my next tire change / upgrade as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

I have these exact same feelings with my car, but I'm only at about 28k. Could my control arms be bad at this mileage?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I am looking into doing the M3 upgraded bushings, tie rods and end links. Can you point me in the right directions where to buy these? Tx
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal
I am looking into doing the M3 upgraded bushings, tie rods and end links. Can you point me in the right directions where to buy these? Tx
for m3 parts
forum sponsors offset motorwerks , ecstuning, getbmwparts
for tie rods and sway links oembimmerparts, fcpeuro.
you can also get part #s and google shop
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i

Good to hear. My car has a little over 100k miles with stock everything for the suspension. I'm about to receive Meyle HD tie rods, sway bar end links, M3 upper and lower control arms, and Koni FSD all around. I'm really looking forward to how the car will be after!

I got the Koni FSD from BavAuto and everything else from ECS Tuning, in case anyone is wondering.

Simon
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
That's how I feel about my car at 128k. With the M3 upgrades front and rear, car feels better than new. Looking forward to my next tire change / upgrade as well.
I'm in the market for suspension upgrades.
When you say M3 upgrades front and rear, can you please explain what all things you replaced, apart from shocks/springs/coilovers.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
In my case, I upgraded

front: M3 tension struts, M3 wishbones
rear: M3 guide rods, M3 wishbones.

I bought TRW oem parts, which saves some $$ compared to the Genuine versions. TRW also makes the Genuine versions.

Other possible M3 part upgrades include subframe bushings, front and rear sway bars and rear lower control arms. Rear lower control arms will then require M3 specific shocks, non-M shocks will not work with them. To my knowledge there are no OEM replacements, only Genuine versions of these parts.

I did an H&R front sway bar, and Whiteline subframe inserts instead of the corresponding M3 parts. The subframe inserts are a "budget" upgrade compared to the M3 full subframe bushings, but are still worthwhile compared to the non-M stock bushings alone.

Opinions vary on rear sway bar upgrading. Some say yes, so say no. I decided to hold off on rear sway upgrades for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #9
335i Bubblehead
Fabricator
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Great information. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
money well spent!
      05-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
testdriver
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
In my case, I upgraded

front: M3 tension struts, M3 wishbones
rear: M3 guide rods, M3 wishbones.

I bought TRW oem parts, which saves some $$ compared to the Genuine versions. TRW also makes the Genuine versions.............

I did an H&R front sway bar, and Whiteline subframe inserts instead of the corresponding M3 parts. The subframe inserts are a "budget" upgrade compared to the M3 full subframe bushings, but are still worthwhile compared to the non-M stock bushings alone.......
I'm in the market to tune up my suspension.... one of the thing I look is the M3 tension struts & wishbones.....

I know the M wishbones is longer so it can give our car more neg camber but what about the M3 tension struts?
The only different I know is non-M is Hydraulic and M is bushing, is there any other different in size/ length?

also, the Whiteline subframe inserts you mentioned, I believe they are for rear subframe, am I right?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #12
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
I don't think there's any meaningful difference in size / length of the tension struts, you are buying a stronger bushing and ball joint.
yes the subframe inserts are for the rear subframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdriver View Post
I'm in the market to tune up my suspension.... one of the thing I look is the M3 tension struts & wishbones.....

I know the M wishbones is longer so it can give our car more neg camber but what about the M3 tension struts?
The only different I know is non-M is Hydraulic and M is bushing, is there any other different in size/ length?

also, the Whiteline subframe inserts you mentioned, I believe they are for rear subframe, am I right?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch10 View Post
I have these exact same feelings with my car, but I'm only at about 28k. Could my control arms be bad at this mileage?
I am in the same boat. 27k on my 2011 335 and I have slop in the steering wheel, bumpy ride, hard to keep the car tracking straight, and the dealer says there is nothing wrong. I bet some of the bushings in the control arms are shot, or other torsion/tension bars, etc. where there are bushings. I am surprised these cars don't have a solid suspension that will last at least 100k mi. Been to the dealer with all sorts of problems and I have only owned the car for 6 months (bought it used with 23,600 mi.). Last thing they replaced was the lower joint assembly in the steering rack. I was getting a clicking sound in the steering wheel at any speed. It took 3 visits for them to finally admit it or find it and fix it under warranty, but that didn't change much. The car still runs like crap after 2 different wheel alignments I had to on my own. It's not the alignment. The car has suspension issues and they won't acknowledg it. Look at Consumer reports. The suspension section is red. They are replacing the brakes as we speak and I had to talk to the service manager to get that fixed. They were saying the brakes are fine, but he had another mechanic look at the car today and they said it needs brakes.

I am seriously thinking of going back to Acura. These cars are just money pits when the dealers refuse to fix problems under warranty, and it's too timie consuming fighting with them and frequent trips to their shop. The thing is these cars should NOT have all these problems. To me they are not far from a FIAT. 27k mi. on my odo in case I start getting flamed. I love the car when it drove nice and smooth and tracked straight. Now I just hate driving it.

Harry
      05-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by only1harry View Post
I am in the same boat.

Now I just hate driving it.

Harry
Sorry to hear about that. Seems like some of the dealers think we're loaded with cash and too dumb to question them. Hope things get sorted out.

My experience has been relatively good and I've taken almost all of my depreciation hit, so hopefully my good luck continues and I stay away from the new car showroom. It's a fun to drive car. Otherwise, next car won't be a BMW. My wife's 2007 Acura RDX has been worry-free...only problem it's had (air conditioning ) got fixed under silent warranty (dealer volunteered it without any confrontation ).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
Nice! I have non-sport suspension on my E90, but upgraded to Koni Yellow + H&R Sport. Looking to add a bit more to suspension comfort/control.

Seemed to have to replace my front control arms almost every.. 2yrs. I know the time is coming soon.

I am looking to upgrade to M3 Spec front & rear control arms. Do I need more than just the front and rear control arms? I hear they add extra negative camber? Do I need those other links or M3 Subframe Bushings? If I don't will current parts wear out faster? I see some extra options, but I don't want to go crazy I just want a suitable upgrade done well.

Anyone have any recommendations? Or if you can point me in the right direction? I find it difficult trying to keyword search for this set up on this site. (might need to create separate thread for this?)

Last edited by d3l0n; 05-29-2014 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #16
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
Good to hear. My car has a little over 100k miles with stock everything for the suspension. I'm about to receive Meyle HD tie rods, sway bar end links, M3 upper and lower control arms, and Koni FSD all around. I'm really looking forward to how the car will be after!

I got the Koni FSD from BavAuto and everything else from ECS Tuning, in case anyone is wondering.

Simon
You may want to change top strut mounts (guide supports) also.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #17
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
ditto lower rear shock mounts. Recently changed mine out, at 128k, old ones were deformed (compressed). Might improve your ride quality (it did for me).

upper rear shock mounts might need changing as well.
Appreciate 0