E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anyone have advice on alignment?

05-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
BP3i7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Anyone have advice on alignment?

I recently got my alignment done after I changed my struts and now the steering wheel is more loose. I don't know if my alignment was way off before that made the wheels feel stiff or it is screw up now, but the guys showed me the specs and it seems to be right...the first pic shows my initial alignment and the other two pic is after. It looks different because they were going to use the alignment spec for the e46 the first time for some reason until I told them my car is e92. How does this compare to what you guys have?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
In my opinion there is a lot wrong here. The toe in the front needs to be negative. You need more negative camber in the rear. Also the rear toe needs to be negative.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Black Sapphire

Thats PRETTY close to spec. TheeGoverner is right that IDEALLY you want your toe in to be more negative than positive, but from the looks of the screen, its still well within spec, and shouldn't cause any more tire wear. Are you at stock ride height? And did he use sandbags or kettle bells to weight the car before he did the toe sweep? I only ask because this would fix the positive camber situation that the Guvna pointed out.

All in all, none of that should make your steering wheel feel loose EXCEPT, if you had variable steering and the angle wasnt reset after the alignment, that may make the wheel feel a little lose, but thats not a problem I see often.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
BP3i7
Private
Rep

Hmm well I thought maybe the specs on the computer might not match what other have here, after all those guys tried to start with e46 specs. I'll try to ask for alignment in line with what the governor is saying next time, since he is the governor. I guess the other thing is the positive angle on the front caster when I took it in was 7.2 vs 5.9 max on the e46. Doesn't positive caster make steering tighter? Maybe I had a good tight steering all along because my specs were off...

Do the e92 2007 have variable steering? I don't think it does.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It was a option on my 06 e90, thankfully I don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Caster is not adjustable on the E92, for that matter, nearly all BMWs, unless you have a camber plates that allows caster adjustment too.

If they dialed in the alignment to (gasp!) E46 specs then most likely it'll fall within E9x specs as well. If I recall the E46 has slightly more adjustment in the camber range, but since the E46 specs ranges wider whatever setting you end up with will just fall right within that range (if that makes sense).

Unless the front end is lowered.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
BP3i7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Caster is not adjustable on the E92, for that matter, nearly all BMWs, unless you have a camber plates that allows caster adjustment too.

If they dialed in the alignment to (gasp!) E46 specs then most likely it'll fall within E9x specs as well. If I recall the E46 has slightly more adjustment in the camber range, but since the E46 specs ranges wider whatever setting you end up with will just fall right within that range (if that makes sense).

Unless the front end is lowered.
I have the sports suspension with Koni FSD, so the springs are a bit lower than a standard E92 unless all E92 have sports suspensions. The system told them to use e46 after they put in my VIN. So I guess the specs for that E92 would be for a standard one. I didn't know the caster can't be adjusted though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
BP3i7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseJunkie
Thats PRETTY close to spec. TheeGoverner is right that IDEALLY you want your toe in to be more negative than positive, but from the looks of the screen, its still well within spec, and shouldn't cause any more tire wear. Are you at stock ride height? And did he use sandbags or kettle bells to weight the car before he did the toe sweep? I only ask because this would fix the positive camber situation that the Guvna pointed out.

All in all, none of that should make your steering wheel feel loose EXCEPT, if you had variable steering and the angle wasnt reset after the alignment, that may make the wheel feel a little lose, but thats not a problem I see often.
Oh yeah, he didn't use weights. I asked him about it and he told me that he use to do it for a short duration, but he didn't notice the difference and neither did the customers he said. But that guy kind of suck, so I probably won't go to him again. I had to ride the car with him few times cause it wouldn't track straight. He said the car is old, it will never be perfect. But why the hell would I even do an alignment then if it just makes it worst? He adjust it like 5 times before the steering was straight.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Haha, well if it still doesn't track straight, try resetting the steering angle sensor. I had a newer Sentra give me hell, test drove it like 6x before I realized it had an SAS. Reset it, and it tracked straight as an arrow. Now I just do it on every new car I do, as a CYA procedure
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP3i7 View Post
I have the sports suspension with Koni FSD, so the springs are a bit lower than a standard E92 unless all E92 have sports suspensions. The system told them to use e46 after they put in my VIN. So I guess the specs for that E92 would be for a standard one. I didn't know the caster can't be adjusted though.
I accidentally tried to align an e90 (2006 split year) under e46 specs. The camber and caster was all over the place!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
BP3i7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseJunkie
Haha, well if it still doesn't track straight, try resetting the steering angle sensor. I had a newer Sentra give me hell, test drove it like 6x before I realized it had an SAS. Reset it, and it tracked straight as an arrow. Now I just do it on every new car I do, as a CYA procedure
Damn, always nice to learn something new! How do you reset it? It tracks straight as long as it doesn't hit small bumps. I do want to know for the future though.
Appreciate 0