GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
karkid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

2013 Black edition GTR or 2015 M4 coupe

i know there was a thread on this already just wondering what people think

what would you take a 2013 Black edition gtr with 25000kms on it or a 2015 m4
      05-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Everyone I know who has owned a GT-R sold it after a short ownership, it didn't hold their interest for whatever reason. I enjoy driving them, but have no desire to own one. Great performance in any case.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkid View Post
i know there was a thread on this already just wondering what people think

what would you take a 2013 Black edition gtr with 25000kms on it or a 2015 m4
Funny you ask this because it was my exact thoughts recently. I just don't think I can give up all the M4 has to offer for just a super fast and amazing handling car. M4 with some work will be a great car to own. Regardless, having to decide between the two is win-win
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
karkid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Funny you ask this because it was my exact thoughts recently. I just don't think I can give up all the M4 has to offer for just a super fast and amazing handling car. M4 with some work will be a great car to own. Regardless, having to decide between the two is win-win

its currently something i'm also debating because both cars are exactly the same price
      05-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Had a GTR. It was a stupid fast car (mine only had the pipe and Cobb Tune)...sold it to provide equity in a real estate purchase. Its a damn cool car. I will be ready to buy again in about 3-4 months and my first choice will be the M4. Just a better overall car than the GTR. If you are all about speed, buy the GTR or wait until the C7 Z06 hits. The M4 will be so hard to beat when you combine performance, utility, style and luxury. I am no M car homer (although I do own an ///M t-shirt and have owned 4 ///M version cars) but honestly I cannot think of another car that combines all of those attributes any better.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
Had a GTR. It was a stupid fast car (mine only had the pipe and Cobb Tune)...sold it to provide equity in a real estate purchase. Its a damn cool car. I will be ready to buy again in about 3-4 months and my first choice will be the M4. Just a better overall car than the GTR. If you are all about speed, buy the GTR or wait until the C7 Z06 hits. The M4 will be so hard to beat when you combine performance, utility, style and luxury. I am no M car homer (although I do own an ///M t-shirt and have owned 4 ///M version cars) but honestly I cannot think of another car that combines all of those attributes any better.
very well said.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

I would take a new M4 over a used GT-R because (1) I don't buy used cars and (2) the GT-R is really more for performance on the track but I'm more looking for a car for everyday street driving which the M4 is better suited.

Having said that, you're posting your question on a BMW enthusiast board, so what answer do you think you'd get here? If you post this on the GT-R or Nissan board, you'll likely get very different answers.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #8
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Will you ever need to put actual humans in the backseats? If so the M4 is the only choice
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
LwaLt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EVOX,M4,X2, Model X, Model 3P+

lol Karkid, I was in the same situation as you not too long ago, GTR or M4. Well I see it like this, you want to be one of the fastest car on the road or you prefer some luxury, comfort, and more than decent speed for the daily drives.

*flame suit on* Imagine this, rolling comfortably down the highway in the M3/M4 than the GTR shows up and show you its prowess, hmmmm... GTR, it's a phenomenal machine. If you only have one car, go with the M3/M4 but I came from a 330i to Evo x mr, and when I drove my friend's GTR the ride was alot more comfortable than the Evo for sure, about the same to a little better than 330i. But the speed and the handling of the GTR just reassures you every time what a beast it is!

End of the day it comes down to what makes you happier, speed or luxury/comfort. Oh just a bonus, the M3/M4 is a bigger chick magnet in my opinion. If you're going to feel sad about getting over taken by a GTR then get the GTR, if you don't give a fly about that then get the M3/M4.

For me, the GTR is in it's 7th year already and the M3/M4 just started its new cycle so the M4 is a better choice, then most likely pick up the R36 hybrid version in the next couple of years whenever it's out. Plus, the M4 has HUD which GTR doesn't have, ooooh and it can be super tail happy, double ooooh.

Either car is a great choice, just think about what makes you the happiest when you're driving then choose based on that. I believe that's the most honest answer you can get.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
Crnamacka
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
Nex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

As a current GTR owner, maybe I can bring a different perspective.
The final decision really depends on what you're going to use the car for. If it's going to be a daily driver for errands, and picking/dropping off kids, etc, then M3 will probably be the better car. It's got spacious back seats, huge trunk, fold down seats, high ground clearance(relatively speaking to the GTR). Driving aspect wise, the suspension is more adjustable from comfort to sports plus, DCT will probably be smoother at low speeds. Winter driving will be ok with good ground clerance and winter tires. Overall, just more under-the-rader, luxurious and comfortably to live with day in and day out.
The GTR on the other hand can be a great daily driver as well. It's got a large trunk for your stuff, back seats are relatively comfortable to me(I'm 5'6"). However, suspension is stiffer. It is adjustable, but don't be mistaken. The settings are basically hard, harder, and hardest. Transmission is a little jerky sometimes at low speed depending on what settings you/dealer/Cobb tuning set them at. Overall a decent daily driver, but if you don't like attention, the M4 may be better because you will get looks and questions about the car.(mostly from males unfortunately)
Winter driving will be no problem with the AWD and a good set of winter tires. The only thing to worry about is the low ground clearance.
Now, if you're looking for a car for pure speed, handling, and track prowess, then there's no question. GTR hands down. It's just in a different league than the M3/M4.
If I had to make the same choice, I'd go with the GTR every time.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
karkid
Captain
Rep

thank you everyone for the input! but my decision was made yesterday. walked into nissan with my bmw offer sheet to see what they could do for me on my trade in and on there car.

manger comes up to me and he's basically like "let me make it really simple for you. I'm not dropping a penny off my car"

and there offer was 10k lower than bmws on my trade in. Overall pretty poor customer service from the nissan that i went to but thats okay M4 it is!
      05-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Probably for the best. Always nice to have the latest model (like the M4). A new GTR will be out next year so getting a 2013 now might not be the best decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkid View Post
thank you everyone for the input! but my decision was made yesterday. walked into nissan with my bmw offer sheet to see what they could do for me on my trade in and on there car.

manger comes up to me and he's basically like "let me make it really simple for you. I'm not dropping a penny off my car"

and there offer was 10k lower than bmws on my trade in. Overall pretty poor customer service from the nissan that i went to but thats okay M4 it is!
Good choice sir
      05-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Nissan GTR if track duty and going fast are your priorities.

Otherwise, the M4 seems to be able to do it all pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

M4, the gtr is a beast though looks amazing too but its no bmw.

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Having owned three M3's (two E46's and one E92) and two GTRs (2012 BE and 2013 Prem) I would have to say that unless you ONLY care about speed and handling/grip, then go with the M3/M4. The GTR is basically a purpose-built sports car. I say purpose-built because it really only excels in the two aforementioned categories (speed and grip). Outside of that, the GTR doesn't really have much of a personality and it can be clunky at low speed. Also, the GTR has a fair amount of understeer which takes away from the driving experience on the track. Lastly, the GTR's steering doesn't provide as much communication compared to BMW and Porsche. You decide what is more important to you and also factor in maintenance costs (expensive for GTR and free for 4 years/50k for BMW).

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today" - J. Dean
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #18
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

GTR is a great weekend exotic. M4 will be more of a real everyday car. Trips, dinner, fun. Went thru this delima on my last car. Got another M3. Still think it's the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #19
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Personally, I'm still not completely sold on the new design of the M3/M4. I've never owned a Porsche and I'm considering getting a stripper Cayman GTS with PDK. I really want my next car to stir my soul and make me feel like I'm hard wired to it. All I keep reading and hearing is that a Porsche, specifically the Cayman and the GT3 series, will provide that experience. My long-term goal is to purchase a 991 GT3 and I've already started saving for it. But, since I've never owned a Porsche, I figure the Cayman S or GTS will be a good starting point.

I'm also biased towards NA sports cars versus FI.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today" - J. Dean
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #20
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAUROS View Post
Having owned three M3's (two E46's and one E92) and two GTRs (2012 BE and 2013 Prem) I would have to say that unless you ONLY care about speed and handling/grip, then go with the M3/M4. The GTR is basically a purpose-built sports car. I say purpose-built because it really only excels in the two aforementioned categories (speed and grip). Outside of that, the GTR doesn't really have much of a personality and it can be clunky at low speed. Also, the GTR has a fair amount of understeer which takes away from the driving experience on the track. Lastly, the GTR's steering doesn't provide as much communication compared to BMW and Porsche. You decide what is more important to you and also factor in maintenance costs (expensive for GTR and free for 4 years/50k for BMW).
This is the best summary yet of the GTR. Agreed on every single point
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #21
2006m5
Rep
Drives: Sprinter van

Two different cars....drive and make your decisions.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #22
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR DAD View Post
Two different cars....drive and make your decisions.
Very true comment....... there are two GTR's and one M4 in my family circle. Myself at 54 have the M4, the two GTR's are early 30's and late 30's. One highly modified and one semi modified. Both are tracked periodically. My M4 have not been tracked yet.
Appreciate 0