Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

Why no B&O sound on F80

Anyone know why there's no option for high end sound system on the new M. I have b & o on my M5 and a few months ago I bought the new x5 with Harmon kardon. The HK system sounds like shit compared to the B&O. At least the e90 had individual audio as an option.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly
Anyone know why there's no option for high end sound system on the new M. I have b & o on my M5 and a few months ago I bought the new x5 with Harmon kardon. The HK system sounds like shit compared to the B&O. At least the e90 had individual audio as an option.
Save your money b & o sucks have it on my m5 and almost the same as stock radio. Stock radio is also alil louder
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly
I wouldn't pay 8k for B and O. Rather put some thing aftermarket for that cost. It would sound much better.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

The Dirac on the E60 M5 was my favorite. The pricing of B&O is out of whack with the performance, it sounds nice but the company is founded on design as much as sound and that's wasted inside of a car's speaker guards.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L
The Dirac on the E60 M5 was my favorite. The pricing of B&O is out of whack with the performance, it sounds nice but the company is founded on design as much as sound and that's wasted inside of a car's speaker guards.
My X5m has the best stereo out of the Ms I have owned it's amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Hopefully H&K will throw something a lil better in the new car. I'll be disappointed with a crappy sound system.

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooch
Hopefully H&K will throw something a lil better in the new car. I'll be disappointed with a crappy sound system.
B & o will not be in bmw soon hk will be the only sound package
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

There is just so much immaturity and misinformation in this thread:

- B&O does not cost 8k, its 3.7k
- B&O is far superior than HK or DIRAC or anything else BMW has sold (or sells) in the past.
- You have to tune the equalizer properly to get the most out of it.

Comparing HK and B&O is like comparing M3 and a 911 Turbo. Two different classes of systems. They look entirely different (HK really looks no different than the base speaker system with an additional "Harman Kordon" text on top). B&O looks so much classier and beautiful. B&O even has its own lighting. But aside from all of that, it actually sounds so much better. I'm surprised that it is even compared to HK (do you really compare an M3 to a 911 turbo? You get my point).

And SAL,

Aren't you the guy from this thread who basically embarrassed the crap out of yourself in front of the entire forum? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=978738 Your comments are very immature and you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I highly doubt you took an hour or two and properly customized the equalizer. You also need to remember that B&O needs to be properly broken in as well. It takes probably a good 1-2 months to get its full capacity.

I have spent months listening B&O in the regular 5/6/7 series and HK as well as doing the same in M5 and M6. I have tried various sound sources such as music from iTunes, Pandora, and Spotify. If you are able to listen 320kbps (which is pretty much the norm in iTunes and Spotify premium now), there is even a greater difference between these two systems.

As to why it's not offered for the M3? Well, M3 is the entry M model. If they offered B&O, then they'd have to offer full leather (I mean like really really M5/M6 full leather), or ventilated seats, or soft closing doors. Where does it stop? You see my point? Certain things are left for the big boys that cost 100k+
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:17 AM   #9
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful Driver View Post
There is just so much immaturity and misinformation in this thread:

- B&O does not cost 8k, its 3.7k
- B&O is far superior than HK or DIRAC or anything else BMW has sold (or sells) in the past.
- You have to tune the equalizer properly to get the most out of it.

Comparing HK and B&O is like comparing M3 and a 911 Turbo. Two different classes of systems. They look entirely different (HK really looks no different than the base speaker system with an additional "Harman Kordon" text on top). B&O looks so much classier and beautiful. B&O even has its own lighting. But aside from all of that, it actually sounds so much better. I'm surprised that it is even compared to HK (do you really compare an M3 to a 911 turbo? You get my point).

And SAL,

Aren't you the guy from this thread who basically embarrassed the crap out of yourself in front of the entire forum? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=978738 Your comments are very immature and you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I highly doubt you took an hour or two and properly customized the equalizer. You also need to remember that B&O needs to be properly broken in as well. It takes probably a good 1-2 months to get its full capacity.

I have spent months listening B&O in the regular 5/6/7 series and HK as well as doing the same in M5 and M6. I have tried various sound sources such as music from iTunes, Pandora, and Spotify. If you are able to listen 320kbps (which is pretty much the norm in iTunes and Spotify premium now), there is even a greater difference between these two systems.

As to why it's not offered for the M3? Well, M3 is the entry M model. If they offered B&O, then they'd have to offer full leather (I mean like really really M5/M6 full leather), or ventilated seats, or soft closing doors. Where does it stop? You see my point? Certain things are left for the big boys that cost 100k+
While it's nice to read someone write with passion, we have a thread for the flower power to be insert to this forum, and each of us is trying to play more nice. Get your groovy shoes on, and come to the light. It's forbidden to sound like me before coffee while writing, it's bad karma.

Now, remember, peace, not war, and let's use adrenaline as the drug in traffic or track, not here.

We need a hippie smiley, mods get on it now!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I'm glad I bought HK stock. It has doubled. B&O?
Not that stock prices have much to do with sound quality....
Appreciate 0