THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Parking Assistant to help with Parallel Parking Feature

05-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Parking Assistant to help with Parallel Parking Feature

Parking Assistant to help with Parallel Parking Feature is an option I am not sure I would like despite knowing I will add the driving assistance package and the driving assistance plus package.

Anyone that has this feature that loves it or regrets getting it?

I am a little scared having a car park itself but I am terrible at parallel parking any car but maybe I will get better with just having a back-up camera and front and rear sensors installed on my new vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
SteveAustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

I just tried it out today...it's pretty fun actually to watch the car steer itself. You control the shifter, accelerator and brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

I got the self park and didn't get any other driver assistance packages. Self park automatically gives you bumper sensors (park distance control) included. I played around with it a few times in Germany and it was fun. It was always accurate and parks you a perfect distance from the curb.

There's really no way to regret this option other than if you pay for it and don't use it. It doesn't affect your daily driving and you only chose to use it when you want to.

Also, just so you know, you are always in control of the throttle, gear shifts and brakes. The car only controls the steering and does not have the ability to accelerate or brake on its own. It's not like you tell it to park and it just parks entirely by itself. It identifies a parking spot for you and tells you what gear to put the car in and when to brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Thank you SteveAustion and five3three! I really need help with my parking so I think I should add this.

Last edited by Lynn_228i; 05-27-2014 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: edited spelling a name.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Thank you everyone! I did add the parking assist option and I can't wait to try it!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
FoxCrane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blue

Does this option parallel park a car with minimal clearance, say only 5" of clearance in the front and back?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxCrane View Post
Does this option parallel park a car with minimal clearance, say only 5" of clearance in the front and back?
I want to say that's why the system helps you choose a parking spot in that if it visually appears as though it might work the car will actually alert you of a spot that will work. Meaning with the naked eye you may not be able to estimate enough clearance if indeed it appears to be close, the park assist function of helping you select a parking spot I am thinking takes a look at clearance.

That said I don't think it will help you get into a spot with 5 inch clearance…. I don't think the technology is there, it's too much of a risk, and That would then leave an issue for the other drivers… Interesting would be to find out what the preset clearance levels are with the park assist. I don't think I saw that in the user manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmTwo35 View Post
I want to say that's why the system helps you choose a parking spot in that if it visually appears as though it might work the car will actually alert you of a spot that will work. Meaning with the naked eye you may not be able to estimate enough clearance if indeed it appears to be close, the park assist function of helping you select a parking spot I am thinking takes a look at clearance.

That said I don't think it will help you get into a spot with 5 inch clearance…. I don't think the technology is there, it's too much of a risk, and That would then leave an issue for the other drivers… Interesting would be to find out what the preset clearance levels are with the park assist. I don't think I saw that in the user manual.
In my tests with it in Munich, it selected spots that I normally wouldn't have considered so it does find some pretty tight spots. A couple of them required quite a bit of reverse and drive while it adjusted so I think it does a pretty good job with that overall.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
cinetic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 VW Alltrack 6mt Grn/Brn

I have the park assistant on my boat of an F31, and it works fabulously. I have noticed even if it isn't active, it is still scanning for spots, and can squeeze into tighter than usual spots even on hills. You do control the brake, gear and gas, but it moves the wheel and tells you what to do. In the tighter spots, it will do a few corrections before giving you the happily parked chime.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
In my tests with it in Munich, it selected spots that I normally wouldn't have considered so it does find some pretty tight spots. A couple of them required quite a bit of reverse and drive while it adjusted so I think it does a pretty good job with that overall.
Reading this makes me regret not getting the parking assistant, lol, any chance to retrofit it at the dealership? I have both driving assistance pkg and park distance control. Maybe all the sensors are ready?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenlt View Post
Reading this makes me regret not getting the parking assistant, lol, any chance to retrofit it at the dealership? I have both driving assistance pkg and park distance control. Maybe all the sensors are ready?
I would think that at this point it's just a software thing so it's possible it may be available as a retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Didn't think you get the side fenders sensors without parking assist. Would probably need to have those punched in as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Now I am getting so excited to try out the parking assist when my new car is built and ready for me to pick up.

Lichenlt, I hope BMW is able to add this on as a retrofit for you since you do have both other driver assist packages. Let us know if they can.
Appreciate 0