THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Is it okay to order the same car from 2 dealers?

05-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Is it okay to order the same car from 2 dealers?

Put the 1K deposit down to have both ordered, but take delivery of the one that either came first, or the dealer that gave you a better deal?

also -is it true that if they said "your getting 2K off MSRP" or "Ill give you 2K off MSRP" while running lease numbers that I should expect that price when paying in full up front?

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soghetto View Post
Put the 1K deposit down to have both ordered, but take delivery of the one that either came first, or the dealer that gave you a better deal?

also -is it true that if they said "your getting 2K off MSRP" or "Ill give you 2K off MSRP" while running lease numbers that I should expect that price when paying in full up front?

If you work with a reputable person you shouldn't need to do this. It's pretty sleezy. Any good sales advisor will be able to tell you when your car will go into production, around what week you can expect it to arrive and what it will cost you, without much fuss. And the way you pay for the car should have no weight with what deal you get, but that's in a perfect world. In the real world, some dealers will give you a good deal up front that is marked up with doc fees and acquisition markups, along with interest rates slightly higher than normal to bump their numbers a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:

It may be possible, but is it really worth the headache? You can negotiate the best deal before you put the deposit down and find out what production slot they have available so you can get an idea which would arrive quicker.

It shouldn't matter how you are paying (cash, finance, lease). You should be able to get the same price regardless.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Okay so not a good thing to do and same price regardless. Thank you.

I just felt like the tables would be turned if I had 2 on order.

He knows that if I walk away because I'm not happy with the deal, ill need to get back in queue for a new order somewhere else... and then the car will be sitting on his lot with a few of my tears for someone else to enjoy. so i didn't know if it was normal that people did that for more negotiating power.... my first time talking lease and first time ordering, but I think I should be able to finance by delivery time anyway... gets rid of all this messy part and is better for me.

thanks again for the info.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
It may be possible, but is it really worth the headache? You can negotiate the best deal before you put the deposit down and find out what production slot they have available so you can get an idea which would arrive quicker.
sorry, i should have said in advance that i already ordered the car from 1 dealer but was still working out the numbers. Then i stopped at another dealer to get some numbers I could compare deals with.

a little off topic but he was talking me into waiting and getting the 2015.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
sorry, i should have said in advance that i already ordered the car from 1 dealer but was still working out the numbers. Then i stopped at another dealer to get some numbers I could compare deals with.

a little off topic but he was talking me into waiting and getting the 2015.
Probably because he doesn't have an allocation available for 2014. Learn what you're doing and you won't have to play these games with dealers.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Probably because he doesn't have an allocation available for 2014. Learn what you're doing and you won't have to play these games with dealers.
mybad, buying new cars is not something I do on the regular. thanks for the input.. its what Im trying to do by reading this forum and asking questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No worries. If you ask for recommendations on dealerships and sales people in your area, it could help steer you in the right direction and away from the bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Just so you are clear, though, there is nothing wrong with ordering a car then not taking it. I wouldn't do it every day, nor would I go into it thinking I wouldn't take the car, but shit happens. You could lose your job, get a better job, current car breaks while you are waiting and need something immediately, just change your mind whatever. Any reputable dealer will, assuming it's a "normal" car that you didn't get a bunch of weird crap on, be happy to sell it to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I don't agree with doing this. It's just not right to play these kinds of games. Only reason to actually do this is if your dealer is very unscrupulous. Then I would say it's more of a defense that you felt you had to do. Just find a dealer that will give you a good deal so you don't have to go through this. Consider getting the car from a neighboring state or city even. My 2 cents.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

That is so ghetto.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmTwo35 View Post
That is so ghetto.
LOL - I see what you did there

I never said I did it; I just wanted to know if that was against some kind of car buying etiquette... just for the record

Understand its the logical thing to do when put in my situation so it was worth consideration.

If all the dealers you went to would not work with you and were giving you .00170 MF when it should be .00130 and saying they are discounting the MSRP but really charging you a few thousand over MSRP. Not willing to discount the $600 Doc fee or $925 destination fee. As well as leaving the impression they don’t really want you to buy the car because they will get more for it from the next person……

Ill admit, I walked into the purchase doing everything wrong and probably advertising I was someone they can take advantage of. But that was only with the 1st salesman. I quickly learned what I was doing wrong and what “good” numbers should look like (Thank you 2addicts!!!!) so there was no more excuse for salesman 2,3 and 4.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable with wanting the 2K off MSRP they said I was getting, and then take another $1000 off the top, or discount the Doc and Destination fee 1K.

In any event, it’s mostly irrelevant now. I took out a loan at 1.99% from a credit union and will buy the car outright come delivery time. My problem now is making sure he does not back out of the 2K off MSRP that was verbally told to me but never in writing.
Appreciate 0