E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d or i e90-> M3 Steering Rack Swap

05-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
335d or i e90-> M3 Steering Rack Swap

Just wanted to update on what I was doing since I broke my steering rack.
The M3 Rack just came in today and so far it looks good. The car and the rack are currently at a friends shop and should go in tomorrow. I got a good deal for one used for 400$ @ less than 50k miles on it, which is less than the one in the car at the moment lol. The bolts for the lines seem to fit perfectly with the D bolts and the mount points look the same. I will update once everything is in.

Name:  WP_20140529_001.jpg
Views: 6074
Size:  156.7 KB

Last edited by Nushibo; 06-05-2014 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Hopefully it jives. You certainly be the first. Do you mind giving the details of why your original PS rack has failed. I have read your previous reports and sorry if I'm asking what you already posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Hopefully it jives. You certainly be the first. Do you mind giving the details of why your original PS rack has failed. I have read your previous reports and sorry if I'm asking what you already posted.
Haha dont worry. It didnt fail by wear and tear, it failed admittedly to my user error lol. Damaged the housing threads and so it leaks badly to the point where its un-driveable. Therefore I continue to take matters into my own hands and own up for my failure lol.

And now we are here with an M3 Rack.

Im certain it will work. The Rack itself looks in extremely good condition.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
NocturnalEVO
Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

subscribed!
'06 R6 Anniversary Edition (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Update:

So as far as the steering rack itself everything bolts on horaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Except for the tie rods from the M3 theyre a little longer. Now heres the trick just put the tie rods, either old ones from the d/i or buy new stock ones and attach them to the M3 Steering Rack. That is if you want to quickly get the car going and are not pushing them hard.

I suspect its because those who do not have M3 Control arms and suspension bits you will need to use original 335d/i or stock tie rods as they are shorter than the M3s. No biggie. So if you're planning to make your steering a little better you have two routes.

Rack first and use old arms, then upgrade them or Arms first then upgrade the rack. Unless you're a baller then go crazy and do both at the same time. Just remember to get an alignment haha.

I cant tell you how it feels yet as my car is still being worked on. Just wanted to confirm that the rack itself fits and any problems that you may run into.

Just for confirmation heres the DIY for the M3 Arms. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788761

It adds a weeee bit of camber at the bottom and from what my bud said the M3 rods are a weeee bit longer bout an inch or less. I know you can adjust the rods closer but the plan is to replace the rods anyways so ill bunch it up with the M3 Arms when the time comes. Meyle HDs are nice

Last edited by Nushibo; 06-02-2014 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

In for a review!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Update!

Crex PMed me two questions about the rack upgrade.

How does it feel and is it heavy. Here's what I have to say.

I love it. The wheel is harder in a sense that its heavier at low speeds. But once you get going its like a dream. I prefer the mechanical attachment to the road. Thus may not be prefered by others.

So basically you give up the lighter steering for a heavier one with tighter response. I think its worth it. According to my brother its very heavy somewhere between no power assist at low speed and 80% moving.

I'm summary

My opinion this is a worthy upgrade for those who enjoy that tight and heavy steering which makes you feel more attached to the road. For those who have never experienced driving with no power steering this maybe an annoyance. I can agree with you it is heavier than stock but feels so much more alive! I personally love it like I said but it may or not be worth it depending on your driving preferences.

Now according to my brother who owns and e46 m3 he said compared to that it is heavier to about the same. If I recall driving the e46 I felt the same way. At low speeds it may be difficult for a non seasoned driver. But once you get going its like butter. He doesn't hate it other than it feels like a workout to turn.

I for one dont mind. If you guys want me to go into more detail leave a few questions about anything. I'll try to answer them whether install or feel.

If anyones in the wpb area and wants to try it let me know haha.

Last edited by Nushibo; 06-04-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D SE

coming from Audi, I feel 335D steering is pretty heavy. maybe its the sport package. not sure. So M3 steering must be really heavy. again not a bad thing like you said.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ddd View Post
coming from Audi, I feel 335D steering is pretty heavy. maybe its the sport package. not sure. So M3 steering must be really heavy. again not a bad thing like you said.
Yea to me its only slightly more heavy because I'm used to the d as it was. I'm a fan of assist but I'm more of a fan of attachment. I understand when too heavy is heavy but this is just right.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ddd View Post
I love the feel of the steering on the D especially when on coilovers...
      06-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #11
najin23
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 LSD....

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [0.00]
Def this help for my situation. I had a bad car wreck a year ago, and my mech friend found out that the passenger side boot was filled with SPF and leaking obviously. I've been filling the reservoir up constantly and no wonder why. Having this said, I am in need of a rack and pinion, and your thread helps me a lot. I already have m3 control arms and tension strut. So do you think I should try for the m3 one or the OE one?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
najin23
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [0.00]
now, where did you get the used rack? How easy was it to remove the old and install the replacement? What parts are needed except the rack? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #13
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Edited title to make googling show this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by najin23 View Post
now, where did you get the used rack? How easy was it to remove the old and install the replacement? What parts are needed except the rack? Thank you.
Truthfully eBay lol which reminds me i need to leave feed back haha. They are very f in hard to find im warning you now and they may not be cheap. I got lucky with the timing and pricing 400$ for everything. The old rack is easy if you have a good mech he can do it in an hour or two. What you need is new crush washers you can reuse the old 19 and 23mm banjo bolts. AS for the m3 bits. If you can get them the better. If you cant find an entire rack and pinion assembly I suggest getting replacement tie rods. Everything is bolt on fits perfectly where the old one goes. Do spend your time diligently looking for the M3 rack from a reputable place. I took a gamble with the M3 from eBay but the seller had good feedback.

Just be sure when you receive it, have it tested and confirmed working and the minor details which will save you a headache. Take it slow and dont rush it and good luck!

Crush washers the dealership should have. Tell them your model year and ask for both top and bottom youre going to need two each for each bolt. You may want to consider replacing the bolts just in case(not necessary). Uhmmm other than that PLEASE have your mechanic align the wheels as close as possible so the tire shop has an easy time and your life can roll smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer View Post
I love the feel of the steering on the D especially when on coilovers...
Haha I know what you mean. Cant wait for this car to come out the way I want and take her to her limits.

Additional note
Forgot to mention you can use the OE tie rod links. IF you decide not to get new ones yet.

Last edited by Nushibo; 10-08-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Excited about seeing the results of this hardcore mod OP!
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #15
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
Excited about seeing the results of this hardcore mod OP!
One of many planned haha, or as I go along lol. Hopefully by Nov. I can participate in driving at my local race track palm beach international raceway
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
najin23
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [0.00]
Thank you very much for your insight, Nushibo.
I have couple more questions. How would you get it tested before install? Just check for any leaks i guess? Ultimately, how do you feel when everything was done? HOw's the drive? Is it too heavy to handle? How does it act on high speed(above 100mph)?
I am in the brinks of getting this either with oem or the m3 one. I'd rather have the m3 one due to the ratio. But I also do not want to get another headache from this. Getting insurance involved and other projects waiting to be done are already making me crazy.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I guess testing would be hook it up and turn on the pump I would say. So basically have it installed and play with it for a week as I am.

How do I feel? Pretty friggen sweet. I let a few buds take it for a spin and they also seem to like it, none minded the heavy steering as I explained to them it would have it. So I love it.

How does it drive? It drives like a dream, I think either im getting used to it or the steering is breaking in as its easier to maneuver. Its not too heavy at all but like I said it depends on the person. Then at 100mph it feels like an M, sharp and very controllable. Personally it adds a lot of character to the car. I honestly say if you can do it, then go right ahead. Its a worthy upgrade. The more I drive the more I love it

As for headaches just follow some of my suggestions and you should be spiffy. It bolts right on so no problems there other than the tie rods. This mod shouldn't cost you too much if you have a good mechanic as a friend and can source a cheap and well maintained rack.

Like I said in a previous post make sure you source it from a reputable source and you will be golden. So far 1 week in and in loving it.

Last edited by Nushibo; 06-06-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
najin23
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo View Post
I guess testing would be hook it up and turn on the pump I would say. So basically have it installed and play with it for a week as I am.

How do I feel? Pretty friggen sweet. I let a few buds take it for a spin and they also seem to like it, none minded the heavy steering as I explained to them it would have it. So I love it.

How does it drive? It drives like a dream, I think either im getting used to it or the steering is breaking in as its easier to maneuver. Its not too heavy at all but like I said it depends on the person. Then at 100mph it feels like an M, sharp and very controllable. Personally it adds a lot of character to the car. I honestly say if you can do it, then go right ahead. Its a worthy upgrade. The more I drive the more I love it

As for headaches just follow some of my suggestions and you should be spiffy. It bolts right on so no problems there other than the tie rods. This mod shouldn't cost you too much if you have a good mechanic as a friend and can source a cheap and well maintained rack.

Like I said in a previous post make sure you source it from a reputable source and you will be golden. So far 1 week in and in loving it.
thanks Nushibo.
I really want it as my oe rack is bleeding at the moment.
It's hard to find. I've searched ebay, but non avail in the US. A member is asking ~$600+shipping from overseas. Speaking of the tie rods, will m3 outer tie rods fit mine or I should get my oe tie rods?
Thanks again, and I guess I just have to keep looking.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks Nushibo.
I really want it as my oe rack is bleeding at the moment.
It's hard to find. I've searched ebay, but non avail in the US. A member is asking ~$600+shipping from overseas. Speaking of the tie rods, will m3 outer tie rods fit mine or I should get my oe tie rods?
Thanks again, and I guess I just have to keep looking.
For 600+ id just go here

http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart...80-01793.html#

or

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2...0-01793_R.html

I dont know if they dont include the tie rods so you may want to call and ask. If they dont yon just use your old ones. Old ones may or may not fit seeing as you have the M3 control arms but since youre with OE i dont see why they shouldnt lol. If you need the M3 tie rods then let me know, they re sitting in my garage. The only thing im missing is the nuts to secure the ends to the wheels which you can salvage from your old rack. The only thing is I think you may be using the e90 ends. My mechanic took the M3 ends and attached them to my OEM rod. So I think i have the M3 rods with e90 ends.

But if you can get new ones heres Part#

M3 Left - 32102283461
M3 Right -32102283462

Edit went to look looks like i have the complete assembly for the M3

Last edited by Nushibo; 06-06-2014 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #20
najin23
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo View Post
For 600+ id just go here

http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart...80-01793.html#

or

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2...0-01793_R.html

I dont know if they dont include the tie rods so you may want to call and ask. If they dont yon just use your old ones. Old ones may or may not fit seeing as you have the M3 control arms. If you need the M3 tie rods then let me know, they re sitting in my garage. The only thing im missing is the nuts to secure the ends to the wheels which you can salvage from your old rack. The only thing is I think you may be using the e90 ends. My mechanic took the M3 ends and attached them to my OEM rod. So I think i have the M3 rods with e90 ends.

But if you can get new ones heres Part#

M3 Left - 32102283461
M3 Right -32102283462
You are talking about the outer tie rods right? Yes, I do have non-m tie rods with m3 control arms. My mech somehow managed to fit them with some good amount of toe adjustment while back. If you still have those m3 tie rods, i'd be interested when I really decide to get it going after the verdict from my insurance. I wouldn't know if those vendors would honor my non-m core, though. Thanks for all the links. Those are probably non-ZF, but that's fine.
Let me ask you one more thing. With m3 rack being shorter in ratio, do you really feel quicker turns?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #21
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
You are talking about the outer tie rods right? Yes, I do have non-m tie rods with m3 control arms. My mech somehow managed to fit them with some good amount of toe adjustment while back. If you still have those m3 tie rods, i'd be interested when I really decide to get it going after the verdict from my insurance. I wouldn't know if those vendors would honor my non-m core, though. Thanks for all the links. Those are probably non-ZF, but that's fine.
Let me ask you one more thing. With m3 rack being shorter in ratio, do you really feel quicker turns?
Yes the outer ones. Uhm lets see in normal driving conditions it behaves like the old one with more control and response. I actually work less to change lanes. In turns like highway ramps or speedy turns it does turn quicker and with more control which allows you to handle them. I did a test around my city hitting every turn hard and it really puts the car in your hands. AS for u turns and such I think i only had to do 1 and 1/2 wheel turn as opposed to 2 to full lock for the normal steering. Again at low speeds heavy but not un bearable heavy.

AS for rack Part# verify with

32102283635 which is what I have
and
32102283633 which is listed on Real OEM and other sites. Number 32102283635 replaces 32102283633 according to the seller i got it from.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #22
najin23
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [0.00]
Thank you very much. It's very fuzzy now what direction I would go to, but will know for sure by end of today or sometime next week. Will update also.
Appreciate 0