E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Mysterious Climate Control Coma

05-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
daveN007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Mysterious Climate Control Coma

Last night I started my car after sitting in an airport garage for 2 days and had something mysterious happen with the climate control system.

When I parked the car 2 days earlier, the AC was on... under manual control and the blower fan was blowing cold air at about the "middle" fan speed setting.

2 days later...I start the car and everything appears to be as I left it, except that no air is coming out of the vents. The blower fan is off despite showing that is was "on". I tried increasing the fan speed. The indicator showed that it was responding to my inputs, but the fan didn't turn on.

I played with every setting...switching to auto...changing temps...hitting "Max"...etc. Nothing. No fan. Dead. All appeared normal visually.

So I pulled over just outside of the lot and shut the car off.

Upon restarting the car, all was back to normal.

Hopefully this does not indicate the beginning of a problem.

Any thoughts?

I am really beginning to hate how much I love this car. Not looking forward to finding a worthy replacement.
      05-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveN007 View Post
Last night I started my car after sitting in an airport garage for 2 days and had something mysterious happen with the climate control system.

When I parked the car 2 days earlier, the AC was on... under manual control and the blower fan was blowing cold air at about the "middle" fan speed setting.

2 days later...I start the car and everything appears to be as I left it, except that no air is coming out of the vents. The blower fan is off despite showing that is was "on". I tried increasing the fan speed. The indicator showed that it was responding to my inputs, but the fan didn't turn on.

I played with every setting...switching to auto...changing temps...hitting "Max"...etc. Nothing. No fan. Dead. All appeared normal visually.

So I pulled over just outside of the lot and shut the car off.

Upon restarting the car, all was back to normal.

Hopefully this does not indicate the beginning of a problem.

Any thoughts?

I am really beginning to hate how much I love this car. Not looking forward to finding a worthy replacement.
If the voltage from your battery is below a certain threshold your climate control will not work properly or your main fan control. Car will start and you can manual override on window defrost. Once battery voltage comes back up after charging you are ok. This happens sometimes in the winter.
      05-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Or after parking for a few days. There are so many systems in a car that eat power even when turned off. Anytime I go away for more than three days I unplug the battery. Still yet to find a good quick battery disconnect switch.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Brad335d
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Garage List
Common, my car is on the original 2011 battery and it sat for over a week and it did the same thing. Like was stated above, the car still uses its electrical system when the engine is off and parked.
-Not Stock
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
daveN007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Thanks, guys.

This seems to be the logical explanation. I just got an "excessive discharge" message when I started her up yesterday.

Time for a battery tender and maybe a new battery. My Porsche usually sits plugged in when at home.
      06-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I was due for an oil change and reported same exact message (excessive discharge ) and they put in a new battery no questions asked. Battery was 3 yrs old at the time. I am still under regular warranty.
Appreciate 0