E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Injector coding after walnut blast

06-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

After two days of owning my CPO 335d, it threw an SES light for the swirl flaps. The SA informed me it was CBU and that they were going to walnut blast the intake and it would take four days. After a week I called and they said they had to encode the injectors and sometimes this takes a while and every once in a while there is a problem and they have to replace the injectors. This is is my first BMW, but the last part sounds fishy to me. Do you have to remove the injectors in order to walnut blast the intake? My guess is there is more wrong with the top end that they're letting on and my car is going to be there for a while, or they screwed something up. Am I off base? I would think walnut blasting to intake would take a day at most. The car only has 35k on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychismo View Post
After two days of owning my CPO 335d, it threw an SES light for the swirl flaps. The SA informed me it was CBU and that they were going to walnut blast the intake and it would take four days. After a week I called and they said they had to encode the injectors and sometimes this takes a while and every once in a while there is a problem and they have to replace the injectors. This is is my first BMW, but the last part sounds fishy to me. Do you have to remove the injectors in order to walnut blast the intake? My guess is there is more wrong with the top end that they're letting on and my car is going to be there for a while, or they screwed something up. Am I off base? I would think walnut blasting to intake would take a day at most. The car only has 35k on it.
I'm sure they are going to change some injectors. If u have CBU chances it has fowled up some injectors.
      06-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
DbLog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
After two days of owning my CPO 335d, it threw an SES light for the swirl flaps. The SA informed me it was CBU and that they were going to walnut blast the intake and it would take four days.
Sorry to hear this about your purchase. Really make me wonder about some of these CPO cars. The dealership I got my car from was pretty bad but eventually 1/2 a$$ fixed the problems. I hope you get treated better and the cars comes back correct the 1st time.
      06-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep

I looked at quite a few CPOs and it pretty clear the dealerships don't go through them too well. Hopefully the service dept is good. If they're replacing injectors it seems they're thorough. I'm not too upset. I'm more into high performance Jap cars because of the ease of maintenance and reliability, but my wife wanted a Bimmer. I warned her it wouldn't be like owning a Japanese car, and was shown right. They set us up with a free brand new 320i loaner, but my wife misses the torque. My dad bought a brand new M238i from them with all the trimmings, so they've been accommodating.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

If you have CBU there is a high chance the injectors (one or more) are dirty too.
After replacing the injectors (hopefully all of them) you need to have them "adapted" (coded into the ECU).
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense. The SA didn't say anything about replacing the injectors but it sounds like that's what's happening. He said this is the third 335d this week with CBU
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Makes sense. The SA didn't say anything about replacing the injectors but it sounds like that's what's happening. He said this is the third 335d this week with CBU
Where are you located. Ask the SA to send a letter to BMW stating his findings and to document it for this forum as well as for you. I'm going to start a new thread for this kind of stuff. I've heard to many stories where bmw says their has never been a CBU problem. No way he would do that but it would be nice to see this taken care of. My SA here claims he has never heard of CBU or any problems with any bmw diesel.
      06-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer
Quote:
Where are you located. Ask the SA to send a letter to BMW stating his findings and to document it for this forum as well as for you. I'm going to start a new thread for this kind of stuff. I've heard to many stories where bmw says their has never been a CBU problem. No way he would do that but it would be nice to see this taken care of. My SA here claims he has never heard of CBU or any problems with any bmw diesel.
I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I asked the SA if there is anything I can do to prevent CBU and he said no. He said it is a design issue with the first gen EGR.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
dixy2k
Major
Rep

My car is still at the dealer for CBU clean up.
My problems started in Nov last year with a series of parts replaced every month.
I took it to a different dealer than usual and they worked together with BMWNA to do the right thing.
The first dealer wanted to charge me $5000 for the job, the second dealer got BMWNA to pick up the tab as they should.
Of course I had no luck in dealing with BMWNA alone. Everything started 30 mile before the warranty expired. Just about the entire emission system was replaced and other things, but I would still get SES lights on.

I hope this time I am done with this headache.

So, yes. BMWNA never admitted to me there is a problem with this particular model or CBU. Repeatedly they told me there are no records indicating other owners/cars had any similar issues. Well, we all know the truth here.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
My car is still at the dealer for CBU clean up.
So, yes. BMWNA never admitted to me there is a problem with this particular model or CBU. Repeatedly they told me there are no records indicating other owners/cars had any similar issues. Well, we all know the truth here.
Ha ha, oh there are records ask them to put that in writing that there is no record of the CBU, I can bet they will not do it lol. They just finished dealing with my car, took them 5 months to get my car ready. And all of that was having PUMA involved pretty much from day one.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep

The SA called me this afternoon to give me an update. I asked him about the injectors, and he said they didn't replace any, but that they have to pull them out in order to walnut blast the intake, and that sometimes they crap out after that. I didn't think you had to remove them in order the walnut blast.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
dixy2k
Major
Rep

There is a possibility they will remove the entire cylinder head in order to clean it properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #13
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
There is a possibility they will remove the entire cylinder head in order to clean it properly.
That's what I'm hoping they did. He said they have to run it hard in the morning when there are less cars on the road in order to encode the injectors, and if they don't throw any codes I'll be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #14
DbLog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping they did. He said they have to run it hard in the morning when there are less cars on the road in order to encode the injectors, and if they don't throw any codes I'll be good to go.
My advice is to all get correspondence over email. The dealership may not want to play the 'he said, he said' but emails will tell all. Even when I asked for responsive answers to my questions Yark BMW ignored me. Simple things like, 'what has been done to my car and what are you planning on doing?'

I really hope your experience will be better than mine.
      06-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #15
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbLog
Quote:
My advice is to all get correspondence over email. The dealership may not want to play the 'he said, he said' but emails will tell all. Even when I asked for responsive answers to my questions Yark BMW ignored me. Simple things like, 'what has been done to my car and what are you planning on doing?'

I really hope your experience will be better than mine.
Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to get a detailed print out of everything they've done in case I have more problems. I still can't believe they don't check the CPO diesels for CBU
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep

The SA called and said it's throwing codes, so they have to play musical chairs with the injectors. They said this has happened on every 335d they've walnut blasted. They are not able to give me an ETA on the repair. This is the first and last BMW I will buy. Owned it for two weeks and got to drive it three days. I knew these engines had issues, but I figured they'd go through them before they offered them as a CPO.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #17
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No such thing as coding an injector.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #18
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci
No such thing as coding an injector.
Calibrating is a more accurate term, and it is such a thing with these DI injectors. The car does it on its own, and the SA said they've been acting up once the top end is walnut blasted and the injectors reinstalled
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #19
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's correct.. Calibrating an injector is not done automatically by the car. It's about a 20 minute job that requires number and/or letters written on the injectors that entered to the DME or DDE via test plan.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #20
mefferso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
I looked at quite a few CPOs and it pretty clear the dealerships don't go through them too well.
This is a fact! I bought my CPO with a VAC tuner already hooked up . Didn't bother me since I was going to buy a tuner of some sort anyways, lol
      06-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefferso
Quote:
I looked at quite a few CPOs and it pretty clear the dealerships don't go through them too well.
This is a fact! I bought my CPO with a VAC tuner already hooked up . Didn't bother me since I was going to buy a tuner of some sort anyways, lol
I look at one and it was idling like a 20 year old Honda with busted motor mounts. The sales guy tried to tell me it was normal. I said no it's not, and asked if one of the mechanics could look at. The guy sat in it and said yep, something's wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #22
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tuned SHO

Quote:
The SA called and said it's throwing codes, so they have to play musical chairs with the injectors. They said this has happened on every 335d they've walnut blasted. They are not able to give me an ETA on the repair. This is the first and last BMW I will buy. Owned it for two weeks and got to drive it three days. I knew these engines had issues, but I figured they'd go through them before they offered them as a CPO.
I'm still amazed they haven't been sued. Never again for me, either.
Appreciate 0