E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Manifold nipple broken symptoms?

06-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sour Diesel and Haze

Manifold nipple broken symptoms?

Ever since my car went to the dealer back in Jan its only boosting 10 PSI. Prior to this my car was boosting 14 PSI on map 5 on JB4 WITHOUT being FBO.

Now I am FBO and I am still only boosting 10 PSI at max no matter what map I am on. After getting my car back the first time they had replaced the HPFP fuel sensor (maybe it was LPFP) not sure which one but they replaced one sensor there and fixed a bunch of leaks/wastegate acutators. After getting my car back, I would always get a SES and sometimes a 30FF and being very busy and not driving the car much I ignored it. The SES went away on its on and 30FF occurs every other week once or twice.

Now the car went back to the dealer in April to get new turbos and the valve cover gasket was leaking again so that was replaced again. After April and getting new turbos and going FBO my car was still only boosting 10 PSI MAX and getting 30FF once in a while.

Checked all the suspects for a boost leak but didn't find any. My dealer is mod friendly so I left my CP/BOV/intake installed when work was done.

I was reading another persons issue with only boosting 6-10 PSI despite being FBO and they had a broken manifold nipple that the dealer broke.

What are the symptoms of a broken manifold nipple? Worse comes to worse it is a broken manifold nipple (taking the car apart this weekend) whats the best way to repair this? Going back to dealer or getting a new manifold out of pocket?

BTW the 30FF has not occurred in the last 3 weeks or so. And I drive my car VERY hard. Doing pulls in 3rd, 4th, WOT, 0-130, you name it. No 30FF anymore but still only boosting about 10 PSI. If this manifold nipple was broken would it let me boost to 10 PSI without any issues? The car drives FINE besides the fact it does not boost over 10 PSI. I really hope this is not broken.

Last edited by westchester335i; 06-05-2014 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Without the nipple and vacuum line attached there is a boost leak and by no accident you won't hit boost targets.

You can try to JB WELD the hole and repair it by installing a brass fitting.

Google" 335i intake manifold nipple" and look for the DIY on how to repair on the other forums that I cannot mention here cause it's blocked.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 8.1L Chevy 2500hd

nipple

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester335i View Post
Ever since my car went to the dealer back in Jan its only boosting 10 PSI. Prior to this my car was boosting 14 PSI on map 5 on JB4 WITHOUT being FBO.

Now I am FBO and I am still only boosting 10 PSI at max no matter what map I am on. After getting my car back the first time they had replaced the HPFP fuel sensor (maybe it was LPFP) not sure which one but they replaced one sensor there and fixed a bunch of leaks/wastegate acutators. After getting my car back, I would always get a SES and sometimes a 30FF and being very busy and not driving the car much I ignored it. The SES went away on its on and 30FF occurs every other week once or twice.

Now the car went back to the dealer in April to get new turbos and the valve cover gasket was leaking again so that was replaced again. After April and getting new turbos and going FBO my car was still only boosting 10 PSI MAX and getting 30FF once in a while.

Checked all the suspects for a boost leak but didn't find any. My dealer is mod friendly so I left my CP/BOV/intake installed when work was done.

I was reading another persons issue with only boosting 6-10 PSI despite being FBO and they had a broken manifold nipple that the dealer broke.

What are the symptoms of a broken manifold nipple? Worse comes to worse it is a broken manifold nipple (taking the car apart this weekend) whats the best way to repair this? Going back to dealer or getting a new manifold out of pocket?
take the mani off there's a flat spot close by to the old nipple or just drill that up the next size, seal it and you're done
      06-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I haven't seen if its broken or not yet but my gut tells me its broken because I have been having this issue ONLY after I visited the dealer. I will know for sure on Sunday.

Would a broken nipple/missing vacuum line cause the engine to still boost at stock levels (up to 10 PSI) fine? What are some symptoms would it always throw a 30FF when you try to boost or would the car boost OK? Because my 30FF only happens once a month literally. And driving normally its fine and I boost it often it just hits 10 PSI max.

Also would this have caused any damage to the engine if the nipple is broken because I was driving my car hard? I will call my SA and explain him the situation see if hes willing to fix it if its broken.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #5
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Honestly if the manifold nipple is broken you will see it plain as day. Start at the dv it bov, and follow the vacuum line over to the manifold. I doubt this is your issue though, it could be a number of different things.
      06-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well there is a line thats going from my BOV to the manifold area I traced it with my fingers and where the line hooked up I felt what felt like a "nipple" not really but you know what I mean and its there. The wire is also very tight and secure I lightly pulled it and its secure. I also felt the "nipple".

I am also boosting 6-10 PSI no problem. The 30FF is only once a month honestly.

You guys think the manifold is ok?

I traced the wire from the BOV to the manifold and attempted to shove my iphone in there to take a picture of where the wire "plugs into". Not sure if it got anything. But looking at pictures of broken manifolds and on eBay seems like my nipple is there and the wire is plugged correctly. Am I right in thinking this ?

Last edited by westchester335i; 06-06-2014 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

That is plugged in properly. Don't play with that area much unless you do want a broken nipple.

Check the diverted valve connections. Also, what work did you have done at the dealership, that can help narrow down where the connection may not tightened.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the reply.

This all started after the dealer fixed the fuel pump sensor. They also fixed valve cover gasket leak and transmission sleeve leak. At this point they had also replaced the spark plugs and wastegate actuators.

Then in April the car got new turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester335i View Post
Thanks for the reply.

This all started after the dealer fixed the fuel pump sensor. They also fixed valve cover gasket leak and transmission sleeve leak. At this point they had also replaced the spark plugs and wastegate actuators.

Then in April the car got new turbos.
Boost solenoids. Seems to be a trend lately.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator View Post
Boost solenoids. Seems to be a trend lately.
That was my next guess as well.

OP don't play with that nipple too much it's sensitive
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

lol
Appreciate 0