E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Where is the EGR pressure convertor on a 330d

06-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
olivers
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e92

Where is the EGR pressure convertor on a 330d

Hi All,

I have the following fault code on my car “4501 - P0401” – “Fault text DDE: Exhaust-gas recirculation, control deviation: Air mass too high/negative control deviation”

I removed the EGR valve, cleaned it checked the valve moved when suction was applied to it. I then replaced it but the fault code is still present.

After this I removed the vacuum pipe to the EGR to check that I was getting some suction on the pipe and there was no suction at all, if I am correct there should be suction when the car is idling (Please let me know if I am wrong). This leads me to believe that either I have a split hose or a faulty EGR pressure convertor, I think that later as I did have a duck like noise that started two weeks ago and now is no longer there.

Does anyone know where the pressure convertor is located on the car and if it can be replaced without removing the inlet manifold?

The car is a 2006 E90 330d

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #2
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
I replaced my EGR pressure converter recently and it is located on the RHS of the engine as you face the front of the car. It is below the inlet manifold on the side of the engine roughly in the vicinity of the oil filter housing.

In my view there is little chance of being able to replace it without removing the inlet manifold - unfortunately.

I had no error codes but was experiencing the noise referred to in this post.....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842393

I bought a second hand unit from a breakers for £30 and since fitting it the power delivery has been much smoother, economy has improved by 2 to 3 MPG and of course the noise has disappeared.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler

Last edited by tmarshall57; 06-09-2014 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0