E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 Questions

06-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

JB4 Questions

I just received my used JB5 G5 ISO and have some questions. I've emailed Terry and BMS but he told me to go the n54tech, but I haven't gotten my registration email yet and I'm hoping to install it this weekend.

I opened up the case and confirmed that it is a G5 board and the two diodes have been removed, does that mean it's ISO? (ISO = isolated, yes?)

It came with the USB cable too, and I tried plugging it into my laptop, it recognized that it was plugged in, but the interface could not communicate with it. Does it need to be installed and powered on in order to communicate with the laptop?

What firmware version should I run? I see that some people purposely run an outdated firmware. Not sure why.

My car is currently bone stock and I can only get 91 octane here. Should I go straight to Map 1 and leave it there? Should I use Map 5 at all?

It also came with a methanol fail safe box (FSB). It has already been wired in but I do not plan on installing meth injection anytime soon. Do I need to remove the FSB or can it stay plugged in?

Thanks!

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
oogabooga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Melbourne M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Bump. I too have the same questions as I am looking into eventually getting the same tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I just received my used JB5 G5 ISO and have some questions. I've emailed Terry and BMS but he told me to go the n54tech, but I haven't gotten my registration email yet and I'm hoping to install it this weekend.

I opened up the case and confirmed that it is a G5 board and the two diodes have been removed, does that mean it's ISO? (ISO = isolated, yes?)

It came with the USB cable too, and I tried plugging it into my laptop, it recognized that it was plugged in, but the interface could not communicate with it. Does it need to be installed and powered on in order to communicate with the laptop?

What firmware version should I run? I see that some people purposely run an outdated firmware. Not sure why.

My car is currently bone stock and I can only get 91 octane here. Should I go straight to Map 1 and leave it there? Should I use Map 5 at all?

It also came with a methanol fail safe box (FSB). It has already been wired in but I do not plan on installing meth injection anytime soon. Do I need to remove the FSB or can it stay plugged in?

Thanks!
Ill try to Answer any that i know.
Im guessing you have been through a few pages here http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605

1). The JB4 G5 is Iso = correct
2). Correct the Jb4 needs to be installed, and have power in order to be completly reconized by the Jb4 program.
3). This all really depends, Map 1 is 13Psi, Map 5 all depends on conditions/gas/air flow ect. Will be 12-17psi. I useually keep it on Map 5 this way if you Use 94 or higher octaine or change air filter ect it will change accordingly. I would suggest putting it on map 5 and see were your Psi is then change it to map 1 to see which is higher. Keep in mind that Map 5 needs to Learn first.

4). Not that i know of, just realize that you can control meth via your computer so make sure it is off.

I hope this can help a bit. I am no Expert just Had a jb4 for some time now.
goodluck
      06-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Jhe
JHE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe

It's a little tricky getting past the learning curve of connecting your car to your computer. It took me forever.... But I'm retarded when it comes to computers. I assume your JB4 is installed?? If so, I can send you the latest interface via email..... It's pretty simple once you've got that loaded and can access the program. If you need any of this, or help connecting, PM me with your email address, and I'll help you out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman View Post
Ill try to Answer any that i know.
Im guessing you have been through a few pages here http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605

1). The JB4 G5 is Iso = correct
2). Correct the Jb4 needs to be installed, and have power in order to be completly reconized by the Jb4 program.
3). This all really depends, Map 1 is 13Psi, Map 5 all depends on conditions/gas/air flow ect. Will be 12-17psi. I useually keep it on Map 5 this way if you Use 94 or higher octaine or change air filter ect it will change accordingly. I would suggest putting it on map 5 and see were your Psi is then change it to map 1 to see which is higher. Keep in mind that Map 5 needs to Learn first.

4). Not that i know of, just realize that you can control meth via your computer so make sure it is off.

I hope this can help a bit. I am no Expert just Had a jb4 for some time now.
goodluck
Thanks for the info! I installed it over the weekend and went to Map 1 and it seems to be working well, hits 13psi on the dot, according to the hijacked fuel gauge. The 91 octane here is actually 8-10% ethanol, perhaps I should give Map 5 a try? How low does it take to "learn" and what do I need to do to help it learn?

I left the FSB wired into the JB4 since there did not appear to be an easy way to remove the pins from the connector. However, I did not connect the power wire.

I'm loving the JB4 so far, although the wastegate rattle is much worse now. I think I need to tweak the menu 10/12 settings.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0