E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 Economy Mode Map 8

06-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe monaco blue

Unhappy JB4 Economy Mode Map 8

What's going on everybody? I have a quick question regarding the JB4 economy mode, map 8. I'm getting ready to ship my car from Germany back to the US and before I do that I'm going to have to get my car inspected for cleanliness, leaks, etc., which is a 1 1/2 hour drive. My reasoning for wanting to use map 8 is because my turbo seals are bad and it's leaking oil everywhere. A friend and I spent two hours, yesterday, cleaning up engine bay and the oil pan, it was a sh** storm of a mess. I've only had the turbo upgrade since January and now I'm back to the reasoning I had to upgrade in the beginning. I have yet to get into contact with VTT, due to the fact that I'm leaving on a very short notice and I'll deal with that once I'm back in the states. From the description of map 8, the turbo would be disabled which to my knowledge would, hopefully prevent them from smoking and spewing oil everywhere as I take it to the vehicle drop off point. Could this possibly work or am I screwed? I'm going to do another whip down and undercarriage wash before I go, hopefully I can get it through.

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The only thing Map 8 does is open up the wastegates so you can't boost but any residual oil can still theoretically smoke. Oil will still flow through the turbo's.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
The only thing Map 8 does is open up the wastegates so you can't boost but any residual oil can still theoretically smoke. Oil will still flow through the turbo's.
So pretty much I'm screwed for the most part? I know by switching to map 8 wouldn't completely fix the problem, I was just hoping for a band aid fix to at least pass inspections.

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

There is always oil pressure in the turbo bearing jacket so if it is leaking, it will leak no matter what.
      06-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
chiaobaby
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

you will not pass anyway if you don't have in map 0 I don't konw what state your in but IN but in New York the inspection station always plug in your OBDII port to check the catalyst readiness test .When your not in bypass mode (map 0) your ecu can not be read.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaobaby View Post
you will not pass anyway if you don't have in map 0 I don't konw what state your in but IN but in New York the inspection station always plug in your OBDII port to check the catalyst readiness test .When your not in bypass mode (map 0) your ecu can not be read.
He is just talking about a shipping inspection. Vehicle can't be leaking fluids and should be in driving condition.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaobaby View Post
I'm getting stationed in Texas, which I found out that they have annual emission inspections . Being stationed in Germany, we can get away with a lot of stuff compared to the Germans and now that I'm coming back stateside it seems that my fun has run out, due to my current setup. As far as emission checks, does the JB4 have a built in dp fix or would I have to install my original dps and exhaust in order to pass?

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
dannygee90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f86 x6m

Garage List
19 x6m  [0.00]
You would have to install downpipes to pass. Jb4 doesnt have built in dp fix.
There is a dp fix available from what i recall seeing in threads again.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygee90 View Post
Read the OP's question again...

Are you sure the leak is coming from the seals? If it were the case, oil would leak in the exhaust, not outside of the turbo... You sure it's not your valve cover gasket instead?
      06-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
dannygee90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f86 x6m

Garage List
19 x6m  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0
Quote:
Read the OP's question again...

Are you sure the leak is coming from the seals? If it were the case, oil would leak in the exhaust, not outside of the turbo... You sure it's not your valve cover gasket instead?
I stand corrected. Yes if turbo seals are bad, oill will flow in exhaust it may smoke depending on temp and how bad the leak is.

If you had to clean up oil around the engine bay theres a couple things it could be, valve cover gasket as gizm0 said. Oil filter housing gaskets, oil spill from topping off/filling with oil, maybe oil lines, just have to re check everything and monitor as the car is running to diagnose and find the source of the oil leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Also, I read in your threads history that you recently upgraded your turbos to VTT turbos. Are you sure they replaced all the o-rings on the oil feed/oil return lines while doing the swap? Failure to do so could result in a pretty bad oil leak.
      06-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
I stand corrected. Yes if turbo seals are bad, oill will flow in exhaust it may smoke depending on temp and how bad the leak is.

If you had to clean up oil around the engine bay theres a couple things it could be, valve cover gasket as gizm0 said. Oil filter housing gaskets, oil spill from topping off/filling with oil, maybe oil lines, just have to re check everything and monitor as the car is running to diagnose and find the source of the oil leak.
I finally got my car through the vehicle inspections today now I will have to deal with the bs of emission laws and everything else, once I get to Texas, but for now it's all about small victories at this point As far as the oil issue is concerned, it has been confirmed that oil is coming from the front turbo, which smokes out the passenger tail pipe after 2-3 mins. after startup. It's a damn fog machine, which is really embarrassing because people always pull up beside me and tell me that my car is smoking, in which case I play the dumb like I had no clue , but I can only do that for so long because I pass the same people everyday. Once I drive around for about 10-15 mins., after the car warms and without pushing it that hard the smoke isn't that bad, from a stop. I've taken pictures of the undercarriage when I was cleaning before I took it to the vehicle drop off and it clearly shows where the oil is coming from. I was glad that the inspectors didn't do a underbody check granted I used a pressure washer, just before I went in to the inspection area, to spray away any residue there was. I wont receive my car until about August so hopefully I can get in contact with VTT, in the mean time, and explain to them the situation, so that I can get a new set since I'm still under warranty. @ Gizm0, I bought the ECS Tuning turbo replacement kit, which replaced all the factory parts. I'm not sure how the turbos could have went bad from January until a month or two ago, but they did. I don't know how to do multiple quote replies so I just did the old @ name...

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Good luck w/ VTT, the last thread I saw about them didn't turn out so well...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #14
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Good luck w/ VTT, the last thread I saw about them didn't turn out so well...
Well hopefully they honor their warranty. If I have to take the car to a dealership and let them fill out the warranty card just for them to confirm the issue, in order to get a new set turbos, then I will.

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0