Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

06-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Fog Lights

Does anybody know if the M4 has a set of fog lights somewhere in the front grille?

I have yet to see a picture of them anywhere except for this picture that comes out of the Accessories' brochure.
Attached Images

06-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
J_F82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3, VIP IS250

I prefer without the fogs on the F8x. Looks cleaner and better, any adds on might ruin the flow. I believe there're no OEM fogs and the pic you attached is modified one.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_F80 View Post
I prefer without the fogs on the F8x. Looks cleaner and better, any adds on might ruin the flow. I believe there're no OEM fogs and the pic you attached is modified one.
I've always had fog lights... I wonder why they decided not to have them even as an option on this car??
      06-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

No fog lights. I believe the lights in the picture are the cop style flashy/blinky lights. That's the safety car for use at the races. Of course, if you want to impersonate a cop ...

Cheers.
      06-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
No fog lights. I believe the lights in the picture are the cop style flashy/blinky lights. That's the safety car for use at the races. Of course, if you want to impersonate a cop ...

Cheers.
No thanks. And I won't be installing any aftermarket fog lights either.

Oh well... one less thing to switch on on foggy days!
      06-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Current M's do not have fog lights. They block airflow... cooling and weight savings take priority. I'm sure the cosmetic benefit is also a big factor.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Current M's do not have fog lights. They block airflow... cooling and weight savings take priority. I'm sure the cosmetic benefit is also a big factor.
My S4 had 2 sets of fog lights, one front and one rear lol... this M4 is a total track beast in every way. Performance is really the number one goal out of this car and everything else is secondary...
      06-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops View Post
I've always had fog lights... I wonder why they decided not to have them even as an option on this car??
Fog lights are about as useless as a nipples on a flat chested female. Stop it!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
Pretty much... Unless you're an ass man like me in which case it would be like dating an Asian girl lmaooooo
      06-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Performance is really the number one goal out of this car and everything else is secondary...
No. Balance is the number one goal. Otherwise, there would be no back seat. No trunk. No air conditioning. No stereo or nav. Get the picture? Think Camaro Z28.

Quote:
Pretty much... Unless you're an ass man like me in which case it would be like dating an Asian girl lmaooooo
And nipples on an ass is even more useless.

Cheers.
      06-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Does anybody know if the M4 has a set of fog lights somewhere in the front grille?

I have yet to see a picture of them anywhere except for this picture that comes out of the Accessories' brochure.
I'm not sure if this is relevant to what you're asking specifically, but I think the LED system overall has a "fog light" functionality integrated into the headlight. I have no idea how that works, but I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMrMark View Post
I'm not sure if this is relevant to what you're asking specifically, but I think the LED system overall has a "fog light" functionality integrated into the headlight. I have no idea how that works, but I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.
Yes, the Dynamic headlights have this capability, but they've been dumbed down for North America due to outdated regulations. Hopefully full functionality can be restored through coding.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Quote:
My S4 had 2 sets of fog lights, one front and one rear lol... this M4 is a total track beast in every way. Performance is really the number one goal out of this car and everything else is secondary...
Leaving A/C alone for the moment, the fact that this car comes standard with power seats and NAV would suggest otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Quote:
Quote:
Leaving A/C alone for the moment, the fact that this car comes standard with power seats and NAV would suggest otherwise.
This is not a track car. It is a high performance luxury vehicle. It is made for yuppies to feel like they are driving race cars. So yes, power seats and nav are needed or else they would not sell.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Lol - not 100% true but still funny
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is not a track car. It is a high performance luxury vehicle. It is made for yuppies to feel like they are driving race cars. So yes, power seats and nav are needed or else they would not sell.
I'm not a yuppy.
      06-28-2014, 12:02 AM   #17
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #18
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My point is that, contrary to what you'd written, weight savings isn't a priority. If it was a priority, the car wouldn't have NAV and power seats as standard equipment.

Also disagree that people wouldn't buy this car if it didn't come with power seats and NAV standard. So long as it's an option, who cares? Your statement reminds me of that dumb Lincoln commercial that's on the air these days where a couple is "interviewing" a Lincoln and a Lexus. The woman asks... "Do you have heated/cooled seats? It has to be standard." How stupid is that?

Mind you that I just sold a Porsche that I ordered new. Most all of their options (save for special editions) are a-la carte. They don't seem to have a hard time selling cars where Nav and power seats aren't standard equipment.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #19
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I meant weight savings takes priority over fog lights... that was the point of the thread, no? But I also said that it is a cosmetic decision as well... so no I don't think weight savings is the number one goal of M. It is profit...

I misread your post about the power seats and nav... I didn't read "standard". I interpreted it as the car should not come with power seats and nav. But as an option... yeah, whats the difference? This is obviously a business decision, otherwise everything would be a la carte... which brings me back to the profit thing.

I think we are arguing the same thing here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
My point is that, contrary to what you'd written, weight savings isn't a priority. If it was a priority, the car wouldn't have NAV and power seats as standard equipment.

Also disagree that people wouldn't buy this car if it didn't come with power seats and NAV standard. So long as it's an option, who cares? Your statement reminds me of that dumb Lincoln commercial that's on the air these days where a couple is "interviewing" a Lincoln and a Lexus. The woman asks... "Do you have heated/cooled seats? It has to be standard." How stupid is that?

Mind you that I just sold a Porsche that I ordered new. Most all of their options (save for special editions) are a-la carte. They don't seem to have a hard time selling cars where Nav and power seats aren't standard equipment.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I meant weight savings takes priority over fog lights... that was the point of the thread, no? But I also said that it is a cosmetic decision as well... so no I don't think weight savings is the number one goal of M. It is profit...

I misread your post about the power seats and nav... I didn't read "standard". I interpreted it as the car should not come with power seats and nav. But as an option... yeah, whats the difference? This is obviously a business decision, otherwise everything would be a la carte... which brings me back to the profit thing.

I think we are arguing the same thing here...
I think so too.

I lean toward airflow being the primary driver with reduced weight being a welcome side effect. But I suppose that if they really wanted to add fogs, negating the weight-loss, they could have.
Appreciate 0