06-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #45
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Fair points all around. I guess what jumps out at me about the F8x reviews is the consistent impression that the S55, while definitely impressive and even arguably worthy of an M3/4, isn't a stand-out feature of the car -- whereas the S65 was seen as an absolute jewel that delivered the wow and fun factors in spades. So while it wouldn't be fair at all to say that F8x M3/4 buyers are doomed to a mediocre engine, it appears that for all of its increased efficiency and more usable torque, the S55 just won't be as fun. But maybe the reduced weight, e-diff, and techno toys can help offset that.

My general prediction is that people coming from the E46 M3 won't have a problem with the engine at all (though the difference in steering feel will be more pronounced, it seems), but people coming from the E9x will have mixed impressions -- likely more so than people going from the E6x M5/6 to the F1x since those cars are more GT cars in the first place and they at least still have a V8 this generation.
Some very good points and I agree. I pick my car up next week and after owning ( and loving) both of my E90 M3s I am intrigued as to how the S55 will stack up in terms of fun to the S65.
I believe there will be trade offs but 550nm can also be fun but in a different way. Will be interesting to compare these two motors with such different characteristics and personalities. My guess is that some will actually prefer the new motor and some will prefer the old. I'll make up my mind once I've driven the new car.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0