Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #23
Tony007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Ok I have an electric blower, but not toro, it has two settings, I used the lower one, dust was still there, almost like glued to the clear. I don't want to go 2nd setting, that's like warp 9! What model and setting do yiu use on your toro?
To get the dust off the car I first rinse with the hose then use the blower. If the dust is persistant it may need a bit of car soap and a soft lambswool wash mit. The TORO blower I have is a variable speed - part # 51619 and I use the highest setting to push about 75% of the water off the car. I finish up with a really soft and THICK microfiber towel.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #24
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
To get the dust off the car I first rinse with the hose then use the blower. If the dust is persistant it may need a bit of car soap and a soft lambswool wash mit. The TORO blower I have is a variable speed - part # 51619 and I use the highest setting to push about 75% of the water off the car. I finish up with a really soft and THICK microfiber towel.
Cool, thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #25
Tony007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the tips!
One thing I forgot to mention.. Keeping down the static charge is VERY important to having a car finish that doesn't attract dust. Any wiping you do with a microfiber on a dry car or nearly dry car creates static electricity. There is no way to avoid it. It you want to remove some very light dust, get a spray bottle of distilled water and spray the panel down and very lightly and slowly wipe it dry. Allow the thinnest water film to evaporate on its' own. It will remove the dust, leave a streak free finish and keep the static charge very very low.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #26
BavarianDevil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Silverstone/Beige

Quote:
I am really curious now, it can't be that certain colors don't attract dust, rather dust shows less, but is there... Of course I can't prove that as I don't have a light coloured car!
There is dust of course but if I can't see it...well it's simply a non issue. Believe me I feel the pain you MG owners are experiencing. Having had Carbon Black (a great color) those dust bunnies were waiting in the garage after I spent hours detailing it. Thanks but no thanks. Getting too old!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #27
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
One thing I forgot to mention.. Keeping down the static charge is VERY important to having a car finish that doesn't attract dust. Any wiping you do with a microfiber on a dry car or nearly dry car creates static electricity. There is no way to avoid it. It you want to remove some very light dust, get a spray bottle of distilled water and spray the panel down and very lightly and slowly wipe it dry. Allow the thinnest water film to evaporate on its' own. It will remove the dust, leave a streak free finish and keep the static charge very very low.
Not sure I follow, that dust is there and will be moved across the paint when passing the microfibre, even gently... Ask me how I know, I f'ed up some parts of my car using that technique. Not a biggie can be polished up. Maybe I was wiping too quick?
But I want to find a technique to clean the dust off wo doing a full wash. And the consensus on autogeek is that there is no way around doing a full wash for darker colors cars... Or a waterless wash.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #28
335iIrish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 (Blk/Blk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz View Post
What's worse is the rust-colored brake dust that accumulates on the black wheels like crazy.
Yes! This bugs the shit outta me too. Any remedies for this apart from constant cleaning?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #29
Lynchmob6
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO/SO F80 & 135 M-Sport

Garage List
I had Barbera Red with my 335 and it was constantly dusty. Now with SO it is hard to even see the dust. I carry the California Duster in the trunk for pollen season though…works like a champ and gets better the dirtier it gets.
Attached Images

///M3 SO/SO / MT / 19" Black Alloys / Executive Pkg. / Lighting Pkg. / Adaptive Suspension / Enhanced USB / HK / Full Front XPEL / 35 Tint / MODS: Custom painted engine cover and grill surrounds, Pedal Haus Kit, M-Performance Alcantara shifter/boot & e-brake boot, carbon e-brake handle, wrapped seat shells/rear headrests, M-Performance Spoiler with CRT Stripe.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #30
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X7; '20 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iIrish
Quote:
What's worse is the rust-colored brake dust that accumulates on the black wheels like crazy.
Yes! This bugs the shit outta me too. Any remedies for this apart from constant cleaning?
Nothing I'm aware of
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #31
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iIrish View Post
Quote:
Nothing I'm aware of
RE; rim cleaning, Once a week keeps them clean enough till wash day. I use them inside as well for quick and easy dust touch up. It's become a favorite in my cleaning arsenal as crazy as that sounds, and cheap too.
Attached Images

Last edited by shortseller; 08-05-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #32
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Light passes with a California Car duster works for me. The key is light passes do use on a hot car and do not let it rest on the paint while using. Like you would dust in the house. The stuff in the air would not be good after it is sucked in by a leaf blower at least not where I live.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #33
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

I live in Arizona were it is dusty all year.
I use Griot's spray-on car wash kit between washes. Great waterless wash with soft, deep matted towels.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V3...y8L&ref=plSrch
If you are going to use a blower then have it filtered so you are not blowing more dust onto your car. I use the Air Force Blaster Sidekick after a wash to get the water out of cracks. I could see using it to blow dust off too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LQ...2yL&ref=plSrch
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #34
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
I live in Arizona were it is dusty all year.
I use Griot's spray-on car wash kit between washes. Great waterless wash with soft, deep matted towels.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V3...y8L&ref=plSrch
If you are going to use a blower then have it filtered so you are not blowing more dust onto your car. I use the Air Force Blaster Sidekick after a wash to get the water out of cracks. I could see using it to blow dust off too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LQ...2yL&ref=plSrch
Thanks for the pointer, it seems to be a good but albeit pricey. after your porst, I discovered also this http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html. and I just did put an order w my online retailer supplier... Ah well next one.

Do you notice any marring from using the griots spray-on?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #35
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer, it seems to be a good but albeit pricey. after your porst, I discovered also this http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html. and I just did put an order w my online retailer supplier... Ah well next one.

None at all! The spray has great lubrication and the towels are super soft!
I have a Cali duster and did not like it. Left little pieces of red lint everywhere and felt like it was making micro scratches.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #36
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The stuff from Autogeek looks like a good alternative to buying the $40/gal Griot refills. Let me know how you like it!
Although the Griot towels may be a good investment
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #37
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i've been using chemical guys extreme depth liquid wax / x-seal, and it leaves the paint so freaking slick, that i've seen dust particles slipping/tumbling down the c-pillar just by gravity alone. i think the air passing over the car "dusts" whatever might settle while parked, because i haven't noticed any more dust on my MG than any other colors i've had. i will say that MG is very sensitive to lighting. in my garage, i see every imperfection, but they all seem to disappear as soon as it's outdoors.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #38
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
The stuff from Autogeek looks like a good alternative to buying the $40/gal Griot refills. Let me know how you like it!
Although the Griot towels may be a good investment
You will have to wait for me to try it I just shelled out $500 on detailing products in 3 weeks, so i am putting the brakes... Next order though I will buy the UWW+ along w other winter detailing products
But here's the AG super detailed review for UWW+: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...wash-plus.html
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #39
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
i've been using chemical guys extreme depth liquid wax / x-seal, and it leaves the paint so freaking slick, that i've seen dust particles slipping/tumbling down the c-pillar just by gravity alone. i think the air passing over the car "dusts" whatever might settle while parked, because i haven't noticed any more dust on my MG than any other colors i've had. i will say that MG is very sensitive to lighting. in my garage, i see every imperfection, but they all seem to disappear as soon as it's outdoors.
Cool, always happy to try on CG products, these guys were one of the first are still around.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #40
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
More on UWW+ and Cee Dog (reputable reviewer on AG) technique for removing dust using that product :
Post 55: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post420981
Appreciate 0