BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 Alpina XB7 Build Your Own Configurator now open on BMWUSA.com

10-24-2022, 03:55 PM   #23
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Alpina XB7/21 Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM60i View Post

I guess that’s the point. I just don’t feel it’s that unique
Who said? Did you drive it? how can you compare?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #24
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemagrp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
I mean, that's all great, but in the end, it doesn't really change much in the vehicle that a tune wouldn't accomplish for much less. It's not like anyone is tracking an X7 in any form. I can understand someone needing to understand the cost difference between say, a 911 C2S and a GT3 because upgrades are easily quantifiable on track.

For large performance SUVs, the only "performance" metric that really matters to most people is straight line speed, and without the comfort plus mode and Lavalina leather of other Alpinas, the XB7 fails to truly differentiate itself in any other quantifiable metric outside of a slight increase in straight-line performance.
I do have comfort plus programmed through BimmerCode,
and driving before X7 40 Msport, and X7 M50 and XB7 can tell you huge difference.
Coding Comfort Plus With Bimmerocde does not change the suspension settings, just as a heads-up, so the difference you're perceiving is mostly the throttle body adjustment.
This has been confirmed by codemybimmer.ca - one of the most reputed coding resources out there. It's just that headunit that BimmerCode adjusts, you don't actually get any of the benefits from it.

On the pre LCI Alpinas it came from factory with all the proper gimmicks. On the LCI Alpinas it is no longer available.
      10-24-2022, 07:37 PM   #25
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7 Alpina

We all love our BMW cars and X7 M50i and now M60i are really nice and capable vehicles. This topic about "Overpaying for XB7" has been addressed multiple times in the forum and what I have noticed is that all the hate towards Alpina is coming from owners or wanna be owners of the non Alpina X7 models. Don't understand why people are hating when they have never owned or even driven an XB7.

I drove an M50i last year and it wasn't aggressive enough for me. I did a test drive on an M60i recently and I liked it but I didn't love it. Not taking anything away from those SUVs but compared to my 2022 XB7 you can definitely feel the difference.

And the extra cost of $35-40K is well worth it in my opinion. Performance is different, more exclusive and you will probably spend months before you see one on the road. I do see a few M50i a day in my neighborhood and many times I congratulate those owners for the great choice of SUV they picked without them knowing I own an Alpina car. And I genuinely believe everyone that owns one of those made a great choice.

But on another note... Go tune an M50i or M60i, through the warranty out the window and brag about having an X7 that can outperform the Alpina version. Not impressed at all. I would take a stock Alpina over any tuned BMW.

As bemagrp said get familiar with what Alpina is all about, drive one or buy one and then come and express your opinion about what you are getting for the extra money.
Appreciate 5
bemagrp264.50
PNWM3545.50
Missduvy289.00
djbonsu113.00
nvsocr755.00
      10-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #26
MM60i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

I’m not hating on Alpina. I think it’s a beautiful car. Just trying to understand the main differences and what you get for the upgrade to it. I would love to drive one but not easy to find to get behind the wheel.
Appreciate 1
bemagrp264.50
      10-24-2022, 08:07 PM   #27
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM60i View Post
I’m not hating on Alpina. I think it’s a beautiful car. Just trying to understand the main differences and what you get for the upgrade to it. I would love to drive one but not easy to find to get behind the wheel.
I didn't mention anyone specific that is hating on Alpina. It was just an observation from a few threads before and now this one. Trying to understand where all the extra cost comes from and then decide if it is worth it or not is one thing. Completely different when people ignore what the whole Alpina treatment is about and just find excuses not to justify the premium. I don't think anyone who has considered buying XB7 would change their mind over a few missing options. A first time buyer maybe, a repeat one nope. My next car will be Alpina again and the only thing that would change my mind is if I can't get it in an Alpina exclusive color.

And I would gladly let you drive my XB7 if you are in my area.
Appreciate 1
bemagrp264.50
      10-24-2022, 08:15 PM   #28
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
With all due respect to BMW owners here, if you don't understand concept of Alpina vehicles in general, please educate yourself before you making comments like " why people still paying 35K more for same as mine ".

At least read following to see difference.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023...t-look-review/

Twin-scroll turbochargers, intercoolers, radiator, integrated transmission cooler, brakes, suspension, sport exhaust system and much more.

I would gladly pay 35K or 45K more to drive something unique and hand made.

It is my opinion only, many people many different opinions.
Just to clarify as I have a bit of experience with the XB7 this past summer.
Isn’t the XB7 built in the same South Carolina factory on the same production line as the other X7’s? What is “hand made”?
I did test drive a XB7 this summer and it’s all BMW factory looking inside and out other than the ALPINA specific trim pieces. From the same Merino leather and stitch patterns to the controls other than the odd steering wheel shift buttons instead of the paddles. The sunshade was cloth on the model I test drove.
The ride was identical feeling around town and the brief highway shots up to 90mph I tried compared to my 22” wheels. My 21” wheels ride notably quieter and softer than the 23” wheels. It has a solid strong mid range torque curve punch with its 67ftlbs more than the M50i but feels softer at its initial acceleration than the M50i. You can tell the pedal programming is different for a softer/smoother launch. I would believe it’s faster than the M50i when pushed to the very limit but not by much especially wearing the heavier 23” wheels. I suspect a race between the two would be very close and could go back and forth depending on who’s driving and how well they get the launch. BMW sandbags their hp specs so who really knows how much HP is really different at the wheels between the two models.
The engine exhaust cold start note was identical even though I know there was a different exhaust used. What I felt BMW missed was what Porsche “Exclusive Manufaktur” does so well as they are actually “hand built” with a massive amount of bespoke options by a separate team in the Exclusive finishing department from paint to full interior work after the initial production line is done.

This is where BMW needs to go with the ALPINA branding now that they own it. If BMW just uses the ALPINA name as a higher trim option in the BMW line up, they will destroy any established heritage of the ALPINA house.

BMW owning ALPINA and considering BMW’s direction could be reason enough to never sell you current XB7 if you own one now.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-24-2022 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #29
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post

Just to clarify as I have a bit of experience with the XB7 this past summer.
Isn’t the XB7 built in the same South Carolina factory on the same production line as the other X7’s? What is “hand made”?
I did test drive a XB7 this summer and it’s all BMW factory looking inside and out other than the ALPINA specific trim pieces. From the same Merino leather and stitch patterns to the controls other than the odd steering wheel shift buttons instead of the paddles. The sunshade was cloth on the model I test drove.
The ride was identical feeling around town and the brief highway shots up to 90mph I tried compared to my 22” wheels. My 21” wheels ride notably quieter and softer than the 23” wheels. It has a solid strong mid range torque curve punch with its 67ftlbs more than the M50i but feels softer at its initial acceleration than the M50i. You can tell the pedal programming is different for a softer/smoother launch. I would believe it’s faster than the M50i when pushed to the very limit but not by much especially wearing the heavier 23” wheels. I suspect a race between the two would be very close and could go back and forth depending on who’s driving and how well they get the launch. BMW sandbags their hp specs so who really knows how much HP is really different at the wheels between the two models.
The engine exhaust cold start note was identical even though I know there was a different exhaust used. What I felt BMW missed was what Porsche “Exclusive Manufaktur” does so well as they are actually “hand built” with a massive amount of bespoke options by a separate team in the Exclusive finishing department from paint to full interior work after the initial production line is done.

This is where BMW needs to go with the ALPINA branding now that they own it. If BMW just uses the ALPINA name as a higher trim option in the BMW line up, they will destroy any established heritage of the ALPINA house.

BMW owning ALPINA and considering BMW’s direction could be reason enough to never sell you current XB7 if you own one now.
All XB7 assembled in South Carolina, from mechanical parts made by Alpina Buchloe factory in Germany, and exported to US.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 10:41 PM   #30
itiongo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

I always here Alpina peeps arguing about the XB7 being sooo distinctly different and unique when compared to the X7. I showed my wife a picture of the Alpina XB7 and you know what she said? "Look, it's your car the X7, but the front doesn't look as good". $35k markup for some extra parts that make the vehicle barely, yes "BARELY" faster. I still haven't seen any draggy numbers from any XB7 owners to do a real comparison.

The XB7 is not unique enough to be a $35k markup. Yes, I've driven both before I decided the M50i was plenty. I bet, everyone who owns an XB7 has never driven a tuned X7 M50i or perhaps never tuned their cars. If they did, they would have instantly felt their unique $35k markup sink in their stomach. If my M50i is still alive and well next summer(warranty will expire), I will Carbahn(690hp/700tq) tune it for $1400 and run some dyno and dragy numbers for us all!!

I'm not bashing the Alpina brand, all I'm saying is the XB7 is not worth the $35k markup. All you are buying is the warranty for those extra parts that make the XB7 barely faster. With $35k, I can make my X7 truly unique. Like slapping on some nasty crap lambo doors mods, or adding a custom exhaust that shoots fire hard enough to burn the car tailgating you, or do a motor swap with an M5 Comp(pretty sure this would cost more than $35k), or gold plate the whole interior plastic pieces, and so on.

I agree the Alpina XB7 needs to have some exclusive options that is not offered on the X7, in order to compensate for the $35k markup.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #31
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiongo View Post
I always here Alpina peeps arguing about the XB7 being sooo distinctly different and unique when compared to the X7. I showed my wife a picture of the Alpina XB7 and you know what she said? "Look, it's your car the X7, but the front doesn't look as good". $35k markup for some extra parts that make the vehicle barely, yes "BARELY" faster. I still haven't seen any draggy numbers from any XB7 owners to do a real comparison.

The XB7 is not unique enough to be a $35k markup. Yes, I've driven both before I decided the M50i was plenty. I bet, everyone who owns an XB7 has never driven a tuned X7 M50i or perhaps never tuned their cars. If they did, they would have instantly felt their unique $35k markup sink in their stomach. If my M50i is still alive and well next summer(warranty will expire), I will Carbahn(690hp/700tq) tune it for $1400 and run some dyno and dragy numbers for us all!!

I'm not bashing the Alpina brand, all I'm saying is the XB7 is not worth the $35k markup. All you are buying is the warranty for those extra parts that make the XB7 barely faster. With $35k, I can make my X7 truly unique. Like slapping on some nasty crap lambo doors mods, or adding a custom exhaust that shoots fire hard enough to burn the car tailgating you, or do a motor swap with an M5 Comp(pretty sure this would cost more than $35k), or gold plate the whole interior plastic pieces, and so on.

I agree the Alpina XB7 needs to have some exclusive options that is not offered on the X7, in order to compensate for the $35k markup.
Looked at picture and said, front doesn't look good.
This what most non XB7 owners think about 35K more than just X7
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 12:20 AM   #32
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Here we go again.

Tuning, Lambo doors on an X7, fire burning... You buddy must be on drugs.

Your wife telling you your front looks better doesn't surprise me at all and I will tell you a secret. All wifes say that to their husbands. My wife told me my front looked better than any other front she has seen out there.

And XB7 can be tuned as well so you know but that isn't the point.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 06:27 AM   #33
itiongo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRMS View Post
Here we go again.

Your wife telling you your front looks better doesn't surprise me at all and I will tell you a secret. All wifes say that to their husbands. My wife told me my front looked better than any other front she has seen out there.

Yes, the lambo doors and fire spitting were all meant as a joke. And yes the XB7 can be tuned, but give an M50i $35k worth of performance mods, and I can guarantee no tuned XB7 will ever match it in a strait line.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 07:40 AM   #34
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRMS View Post
Here we go again.

Ohh.. Let's leave all them alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 08:38 AM   #35
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

In all fairness with cosmetics, when determining vehicles I want what looks best in the mix as well. Alpina doesn't look as good and makes me think of those add on pieces you get from China for the front/rear bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #36
Idontliketrying
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2023 Bmw M3 CX

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [10.00]
It's funny for them to put this out now because according to centernet at my dealership builds are already filled for 23 you'd have to wait for 24 or something to fall through.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 10:34 AM   #37
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontliketrying View Post
It's funny for them to put this out now because according to centernet at my dealership builds are already filled for 23 you'd have to wait for 24 or something to fall through.
Was thinking the same. Doesn't make much sense.

That being said, there are dealers that stacked up with fake orders to get allocations so there are slots out there..
      10-25-2022, 10:40 AM   #38
Idontliketrying
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:
Was thinking the same. Doesn't make much sense.

That being said, there are dealers that stacked up with fake orders to get allocations so there are slots out there..
Yes but with Alpina only making 2,000 a year I believe for xb7 and B8 or 2k each not much to go around. Plus they're not an easy sale I don't see each dealer having more than 2-3
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #39
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes but with Alpina only making 2,000 a year I believe for xb7 and B8 or 2k each not much to go around. Plus they're not an easy sale I don't see each dealer having more than 2-3
Allocations already went out to the dealers that had order bank entries. If someone wants a '23 Alpina, I'm sure their dealer can find someone to trade with. If not, they'll be waiting until April for the '24.
      10-25-2022, 03:05 PM   #40
Idontliketrying
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:
Allocations already went out to the dealers that had order bank entries. If someone wants a '23 Alpina, I'm sure their dealer can find someone to trade with. If not, they'll be waiting until April for the '24.
We tried at my dealership nobody wants to give up we have an Xb7 and need a b8
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:11 PM   #41
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
We tried at my dealership nobody wants to give up we have an Xb7 and need a b8
Check out the central region. Plenty available, just marked as "sold".
      10-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #42
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:

Interesting perspective, thankfully I have a fairly unique ability to comment on what you asked, coming from the perspective of an XB7, M60, M50, B7, 750 (stock/tuned), M760 (stock/tuned), M5 (stock/tuned), the list continues but it shows some perspective on the X7 Alpina vs not and the 7 series Alpina vs. not…

The Alpina’s are dialed in as better drivers in my opinion, while I have had faster cars off the line, the Alpina (both B7 and XB7) drive better and while I have had other cars and still keep a few, I have a 21 XB7 and my 23 XB7 order already went in.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:48 PM   #43
itiongo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrino View Post
Interesting perspective, thankfully I have a fairly unique ability to comment on what you asked, coming from the perspective of an XB7, M60, M50, B7, 750 (stock/tuned), M760 (stock/tuned), M5 (stock/tuned), the list continues but it shows some perspective on the X7 Alpina vs not and the 7 series Alpina vs. not…

The Alpina’s are dialed in as better drivers in my opinion, while I have had faster cars off the line, the Alpina (both B7 and XB7) drive better and while I have had other cars and still keep a few, I have a 21 XB7 and my 23 XB7 order already went in.
Yes, I'll have to agree with you. Tested both, and the XB7 was smoother when you needed it, and accelerates harder when you need it. There's no doubt the XB7 is a better daily driver.
Appreciate 1
bemagrp264.50
      10-25-2022, 06:01 PM   #44
itiongo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looked at picture and said, front doesn't look good.
This what most non XB7 owners think about 35K more than just X7
I didn't like the XB7's front when it was first released, but it grew on me. I just don't like the chrome pieces, and was really annoyed these pieces can only be blacked out with aftermarket mods.

If you take a look at the price jump between a 40i and M50i, even though the M50i has a completely different motor and a completely different exhaust system, the price jump is less than $15k. If the jump to the XB7 was $15k, I believe I would have bought an XB7 as well.
Appreciate 0