BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 vs. Range Rover vs. GLS by Throttle House

01-20-2024, 07:33 PM   #45
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

As always..

Bimmer is the most well rounded SUV but kinda boring and predictable. Generic design and an interior lifted straight out of the cheaper X5.
Merc is a step below overall. Even more generic styling.
Range is objectively the least refined/lowest quality, but has the most sex appeal.

Range would be my choice any day...just CPO to avoid that steep depreciation curve
Appreciate 3
FCX52410.50
jphcbpa317.50
      01-20-2024, 08:04 PM   #46
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
As always..

Bimmer is the most well rounded SUV but kinda boring and predictable. Generic design and an interior lifted straight out of the cheaper X5.
Range is objectively the least refined/lowest quality, but has the most sex appeal.

Range would be my choice any day...just CPO to avoid that steep depreciation curve
Technically the current X5 interior is lifted out of the LCI X7, which received it first. But same could be said for the GLS which has an identical interior to the GLE (in that case however, the GLE received it first). I also wouldn't call the X7 boring and predictable. While I'd have a hard time calling any 3 row SUV "fun to drive", the X7 is significantly better to drive than the other 2 with way better handling and quickness than it has any right to have. As for Generic design, that's something I'd associate with the GLS. The X7 is anything but generic - while not as pretty as the RR, it's pretty easily identifiable and has some road presence IMO.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 12:27 AM   #47
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

We looked at these three and went with the RR. Depends on what you are looking for but for us it wasn’t close. The X7 was capable but boring and the styling the most bland. Didn’t feel like a BMW but still handled the best. The 6 is weak but the 8s are very impressive.

The GLS lacked distinction on a number of fronts and interior quality was very poor. Visually cool but no substance. Driving experience was somewhere between the X7 and RR - fairly smooth but again bland and lacking. I will add that the Merc and BMW dealers are far better and easier to deal with than our LR dealers in the area.

The Range Rover styling is next level, love its simplicity and has quite the presence in person. Hopefully sets the trend for Germans to drop the hideous trends that have befallen otherwise classic designs, especially the overwrought front ends with massive grilles. The interior is a little too spartan (speaking mostly of dash/pivi), some controls are poorly laid out, but the materials and solidity are a large step above the others. The V8 is a monster (thank you BMW), just hoping for no issues. The overall driving experience is the most serene yet controlled feeling I’ve ever had in a car. Like a throne wafting down the road, just incredble and unique. Command seating LR style as it has been is wonderful. Annoyances are few but some significant ones. Walk up / away unlocking was deactivated by JLR due to theft and battery issues. Normally not a big deal but with flush handles the only way to get in is use the key fob or press a tiny buttton the size of a tictac. It also to me is unsafe, you always know when a 460RR is unlocked because the handles are out. Incredibly stupid design decision to go this route. Its been close to a year and a half and don’t expect it will get fixed any time soon…
      01-21-2024, 05:41 AM   #48
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnid00d View Post
Can someone explain to me how Range Rover is somehow the SUV to take to the safari/serious off-roading and shuttle the Royal Family around but yet can't survive an car review and has this tradition of breaking down? Improving their quality shouldn't be rocket science so do they just not care or think their clientele doesn't care?
They don't tell you that they always have a Land Cruiser to pull them out when it breaks
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 06:20 AM   #49
MForSpeed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Honestly these two car reviews never surprise me they never right most the time, they are also Audi fan boys, when it comes to driving Dynamics BMW is winning right now all models, Interior BMW, Mercedes, always win in looks, and interior design, Range is comfortable and deemed as luxury and break down all the time coming from London you see at least 2/3 park with hazards on everyday, Audi try’s to do all the above
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 06:28 AM   #50
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
As always..

Same here on an emotional level. Although, CPO or lightly used RR are super expensive here in DMV land. The X7 is the most practical buy…many of my friends drive RRs - many! From what I can tell, they all love their RR. Take them on road trips all the time. I don’t recall last time I saw a RR broken down on the road. But based on my ownership experience of a RRS, they do have a lot of small problems. I was taking mine to the dealer around every 6-12 months to fix something or the other for the 4 years I had it…it wasn’t a huge deal since the dealer is only a couple of miles away and they gave me a loaner.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9747.50
      01-22-2024, 02:19 PM   #51
leog80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Voodoo Blue M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Interestingly, based on BMW released numbers for the year 2022, they sold 10,735 X7s in USA, and 10,626 in China .....
That is 10,735 in USA for 335M people vs 10,625 in China out of 1.4B people. so statistically, it's definitely still a lot more popular in US
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 11:52 AM   #52
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leog80 View Post
That is 10,735 in USA for 335M people vs 10,625 in China out of 1.4B people. so statistically, it's definitely still a lot more popular in US
Absolutely!! That's why I hate statistics as you can bend it anyway you like it.

Ultimately, it comes down to how many units you were able to sell. That determines your profit, which frankly we are unable to determine since we have no idea what the profit margins are in each market. However judging by what BMW is doing, it appears that they are viewing China (or Asia more precisely) as the emerging larger market than US and potentially EU included, and therefore they are tailoring their offerings in that direction. In a way they are betting that they will make more money selling vehicles that are viewed more favorably in Asia market - if they are able to tap into that 1.4B people
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 11:56 AM   #53
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
The overall driving experience is the most serene yet controlled feeling I’ve ever had in a car. Like a throne wafting down the road, just incredble and unique. Command seating LR style as it has been is wonderful.
Good feedback and thank you ! We are looking to switch to a RR P550 with plug in hybrid. Our daily is in town and 50 miles on pure EV would be just perfect. Also we don't need the 3rd row. I wish BMW made an SUV that sat up a little higher like the RR. I do love the x7 and it would be a hard transition to leave the brand after many years.
Appreciate 1
signes202.00
      05-18-2024, 12:18 PM   #54
hashimaziz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Toyota Camry, VW Golf

I would say out of all of these cars (having owned two of them) the Range Rover is most definitely the best. Not sure why people comment on the reliability because it the last 3 years their reliability has improved significantly, especially considering they share parts with BMW now. The one we owned had to be one of the most reliable cars we had. I will say tho out of all of them the build quality of the BMW is far superior than any of them. Also if you compare price points you get far more for the BMW for less money than the other two cars. Also, the X7 handling is unmatched, feels like your driving a sedan not a suv. And the GLS is well… a GLS just standard nothing “wow” about it.
Appreciate 2
jphcbpa317.50
FCX52410.50
      05-18-2024, 12:21 PM   #55
hashimaziz
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Interestingly, based on BMW released numbers for the year 2022, they sold 10,735 X7s in USA, and 10,626 in China .....
well they also have 4x the population than us in China…
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 12:42 PM   #56
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 760iX, 2025 X7 M60i

With a Range Rover, I would be more concerned with my car being easily stolen and then having to wait for another 2 years for a new one. Not to mention that the build quality is a complete gamble. Be sure to check out their forums before you start rowing up that creek.
Appreciate 2
jphcbpa317.50
Tyriondo139.00
      05-18-2024, 01:10 PM   #57
hashimaziz
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrontz View Post
With a Range Rover, I would be more concerned with my car being easily stolen and then having to wait for another 2 years for a new one. Not to mention that the build quality is a complete gamble. Be sure to check out their forums before you start rowing up that creek.
haha exactly, in London they don’t even insure range rovers anymore because of how much they get stolen…
Appreciate 2
skrontz73.50
Tyriondo139.00
      05-18-2024, 08:18 PM   #58
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

I was very close to ordering a 2024 Range Rover Sport before my X7 but the in addition to the hesitancy about the perceived reliability and build quality issues, I saw as a cost cutting measure, they removed all climate controls and ride control buttons from the center console so you are left with big blob of empty black plastic (aka piano black) which is so so cheap for a car of this class. They did the same (removal of all the buttons) for 2024 Range Rover as well. In comparison, X7's center console is more upscale.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tyriondo139.00
      05-18-2024, 11:03 PM   #59
Jrjones4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2023 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
I was very close to ordering a 2024 Range Rover Sport before my X7 but the in addition to the hesitancy about the perceived reliability and build quality issues, I saw as a cost cutting measure, they removed all climate controls and ride control buttons from the center console so you are left with big blob of empty black plastic (aka piano black) which is so so cheap for a car of this class. They did the same (removal of all the buttons) for 2024 Range Rover as well. In comparison, X7's center console is more upscale.
I agree! I had a 2024 RR Sport for a short time and hated the cheap console. It drove me insane.

I liked the exterior looks overall. The drive performance in no way compared to my x7 M60- the bmw is vastly superior in that realm.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 06:21 AM   #60
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
WOW. I was looking at the 2023 RR for a little while so I couldn’t believe my eyes I had to look it up in 24. This is shocking since they just redid the entire car / interior for 2023.

That is soo cheap and looks like they just removed cost without any thought. I liked in 23 they still had the multi functional knobs for temperature, seating heating and cooling.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 10:08 AM   #61
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

That console wasn’t a cost cutting choice but an aesthetic one. JLR designers are obsessed with minimalism and this was the next evolution. Glad we have a 23.
      05-19-2024, 10:54 AM   #62
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
That console wasn’t a cost cutting choice but an aesthetic one. JLR designers are obsessed with minimalism and this was the next evolution. Glad we have a 23.
Sure, it can be spun like that
Appreciate 2
EWL5914.50
admranger2999.50
      05-19-2024, 11:28 AM   #63
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Sure, it can be spun like that
Seriously. Marketing dept on overdrive justifying why we drive iPhones now!

Lots of SKUs and parts bins no longer necessary with a "minimalist" setup! I for one think luxury cars should maintain as many physical controls as possible. I can definitely see an increase in accidents with these setups!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 04:59 PM   #64
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
Seriously. Marketing dept on overdrive justifying why we drive iPhones now!

Lots of SKUs and parts bins no longer necessary with a "minimalist" setup! I for one think luxury cars should maintain as many physical controls as possible. I can definitely see an increase in accidents with these setups!
I'm somewhere between the Ineos Grenadier and a Tesla for controls. HVAC, radio, seat heater, steering wheel heater, seat adjustments. lights, wipers, and turn signal all need to be physical controls.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '21 X7 40i AW/Black, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 07:04 PM   #65
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
We looked at these three and went with the RR. Depends on what you are looking for but for us it wasn’t close. The X7 was capable but boring and the styling the most bland. Didn’t feel like a BMW but still handled the best. The 6 is weak but the 8s are very impressive.

The GLS lacked distinction on a number of fronts and interior quality was very poor. Visually cool but no substance. Driving experience was somewhere between the X7 and RR - fairly smooth but again bland and lacking. I will add that the Merc and BMW dealers are far better and easier to deal with than our LR dealers in the area.

The Range Rover styling is next level, love its simplicity and has quite the presence in person. Hopefully sets the trend for Germans to drop the hideous trends that have befallen otherwise classic designs, especially the overwrought front ends with massive grilles. The interior is a little too spartan (speaking mostly of dash/pivi), some controls are poorly laid out, but the materials and solidity are a large step above the others. The V8 is a monster (thank you BMW), just hoping for no issues. The overall driving experience is the most serene yet controlled feeling I’ve ever had in a car. Like a throne wafting down the road, just incredble and unique. Command seating LR style as it has been is wonderful. Annoyances are few but some significant ones. Walk up / away unlocking was deactivated by JLR due to theft and battery issues. Normally not a big deal but with flush handles the only way to get in is use the key fob or press a tiny buttton the size of a tictac. It also to me is unsafe, you always know when a 460RR is unlocked because the handles are out. Incredibly stupid design decision to go this route. Its been close to a year and a half and don’t expect it will get fixed any time soon…
I agree. The RR just looks the part both inside and outside. Around here at restaurants, office parking lots, hotels you sometimes see the X7 and the new RR (even the Sport) next to each other and the RR looks like a much more expensive and luxury vehicle - even more than the actual price difference would imply. People are cross shopping it with a Bentayga...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 09:11 PM   #66
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Huge waste of space for an on/off switch.
Appreciate 0