E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > is it September yet ?

09-12-2006, 03:51 AM   #155
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

Smile

Hi Mate / fellow 330i m sport fan

Interesting what you say about the temp.

I did ask the salesman over the phone when he rang me yesterday to check everything was ok and he wasn't 100% sure but did say he felt there was a sliding bar which ran round the rpm dial, like the cruise does on the miles dial.

Although I couldn't see a sliding bar, the incriments close to the red line on the rpm does make sense now you've mentioned it, so I will check that out in more detail when I next start the car up / run it.

As for the tyres, yeah I was surprised the car was fitted with Bridgestone Potenza's, as I was expecting Michelins.

With regards the noise, its maybe difficult for me to comment coming from a 350z as the road noise in that was quite intrusive anyway .. so this baby seams whisper quiet by comparison

As for rpm .. I have been "seriously" struggling to keep it below 4,000 rpm .. but I have managed it .. mostly

I've wound the window down a few times, so I can fully hear that glorious engine note and it just seams to be getting into its swing at 4,000 rpm, so you wanna push it to hear it max out.

I have gone to about 5,500 rpm once or twice and thats it.

The salesman wasn't even going to mention running in until I asked him about it and he said there is no hard fast rule other than suggested guidelines not even those are not really 100% necessary.

But he said 4000 rpm up to 600 miles should be more than adequate for modern BMW engines.

Boy is that engine silky smooth

In terms of throttle response and engine surge, I am VERY impressed. Press the accelerator and you're off like a shot. For it to feel so quick, considering how tight the new engine is, makes me wonder just how fast this baby will be in a few thousand miles. It is so rapid !

Superb piece of kit and loving it. Looking forward to this weekend & taking it out for an extended drive
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 04:12 AM   #156
timking85
Chief
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 525d SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
Hi Mate / fellow 330i m sport fan

Interesting what you say about the temp.

I did ask the salesman over the phone when he rang me yesterday to check everything was ok and he wasn't 100% sure but did say he felt there was a sliding bar which ran round the rpm dial, like the cruise does on the miles dial.

Although I couldn't see a sliding bar, the incriments close to the red line on the rpm does make sense now you've mentioned it, so I will check that out in more detail when I next start the car up / run it.

As for the tyres, yeah I was surprised the car was fitted with Bridgestone Potenza's, as I was expecting Michelins.

With regards the noise, its maybe difficult for me to comment coming from a 350z as the road noise in that was quite intrusive anyway .. so this baby seams whisper quiet by comparison

As for rpm .. I have been "seriously" struggling to keep it below 4,000 rpm .. but I have managed it .. mostly

I've wound the window down a few times, so I can fully hear that glorious engine note and it just seams to be getting into its swing at 4,000 rpm, so you wanna push it to hear it max out.

I have gone to about 5,500 rpm once or twice and thats it.

The salesman wasn't even going to mention running in until I asked him about it and he said there is no hard fast rule other than suggested guidelines not even those are not really 100% necessary.

But he said 4000 rpm up to 600 miles should be more than adequate for modern BMW engines.

Boy is that engine silky smooth

In terms of throttle response and engine surge, I am VERY impressed. Press the accelerator and you're off like a shot. For it to feel so quick, considering how tight the new engine is, makes me wonder just how fast this baby will be in a few thousand miles. It is so rapid !

Superb piece of kit and loving it. Looking forward to this weekend & taking it out for an extended drive
Guys with regards to the bars at the end of the rev counter only applie to the 5 Series which i have driven a few E90's and none have the increments that move only the 5. Regards Tim
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 04:31 AM   #157
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timking85
Guys with regards to the bars at the end of the rev counter only applie to the 5 Series which i have driven a few E90's and none have the increments that move only the 5. Regards Tim
They don't move, they just switch off, so initally you might have 5, but when the engine is warm - just 3.

I'll admit I have just ASSUMED that this will be the same as my e60. I'll have a closer look to be sure (probably not cold enough at the moment though).

Having said that - it was pretty apparent on my 530d, so I would have thought it would be the same on the 320d - on that basis you are probably right
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 04:32 AM   #158
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Question

But that would mean No temp monitoring whatsoever ?

So does that mean we can thrash the engine as soon as we've fired her up, otherwise how do we know when it is running an optimum temp ?

Plus this varies in hot weather / very cold weather !

Surely BMW would not leave this to chance ?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 04:44 AM   #159
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
But that would mean No temp monitoring whatsoever ?

So does that mean we can thrash the engine as soon as we've fired her up, otherwise how do we know when it is running an optimum temp ?

Plus this varies in hot weather / very cold weather !

Surely BMW would not leave this to chance ?
There is a high engine temp warning light. But I am with you - I just thought the little dashes worked the same. We'll have to check if timking is right.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 06:23 AM   #160
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Hi,

Glad you boys are enjoying the new motors...makes me realise how much I miss the sound of the petrol 6 cylinder and also a manual gearbox!
Anyway regarding the white lines around the rev counter - yes on my E60 these would disapear as the engine warmed up until there were 4 left once it was at operating temp. However on my E90 this does not happen.
have you figured out the electronic dipstick yet on the petrol?
Enjoy the petrol motors and try them on Shell V power!!
      09-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #161
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

First thing i did 10 mins after pick up from the dealer was proceed to Shell garage and FILL UP on SHELL V POWER .. and will use whenever I can
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #162
ES-Jet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i Sport

I haven't noticed these bars on the rev counter either. Seen them in action on an E46 M3 - great idea.

Shame that BMW haven't fitted a temperature gauge. I'd rather have one than the economy gauge/meter, which is of no use at all generally .... after all, if you put your foot down, you know you're going to use more fuel!
      09-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #163
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES-Jet
I haven't noticed these bars on the rev counter either. Seen them in action on an E46 M3 - great idea.

Shame that BMW haven't fitted a temperature gauge. I'd rather have one than the economy gauge/meter, which is of no use at all generally .... after all, if you put your foot down, you know you're going to use more fuel!
Well I kind of like the economy gauge myself - its one of those characteristic BMW things for me.

It's a bit depressing in the 330i though - it does like it's petrol

Bit dissapointed that the rev markers don't count down, but I'm relaxed about the temp gauge. I never fuss much about warming the car up to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #164
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Just out of interest...what is the consumption averaging so far in the 330i
Another question for the two new 330I M Sport drivers....my curiosity given the cars are fresh out of a PDC - what are the trye pressures set to? (BAR if possible).

Thanks
      09-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #165
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
It's a bit depressing in the 330i though - it does like it's petrol
Like it!? Mine drinks it like it's going out of style.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #166
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Having not had the car a full week yet I have no idea what the tyre pressures are set to

As for fuel consumption I think its hovering round the low 20's mark at the moment ... BUT I have only done local / country / town roads .. NO motorway at all.

Yes she does like to drink, and she is dry and has a thirst becasue she is NO new, so that may improve !

In any case, I knew she liked to drink the expensive stuff ( and does have a thirst ) but that aint what the 330i petrol is about is it

It has the most glorious engine note .. which only betters with higher fuel consumption, if you know what i mean
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #167
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP
Just out of interest...what is the consumption averaging so far in the 330i
Another question for the two new 330I M Sport drivers....my curiosity given the cars are fresh out of a PDC - what are the trye pressures set to? (BAR if possible).

Thanks
No idea on the tyre pressures - I haven't checked them (and you can't with the new fangled air machines you get nowadays). I am going to get a pressure guage though (given the runflats) so I may check it out.

As to the consumption - it's pretty brutal given that I have had diesels for nearly 3 years

Having said that though - like Snake - that wasn't a big factor for me when I bought the car.

I've reset it a couple of times and on a longish motorway journey I can get 34-35mpg, round town more like 22-23.

At the moment it's showing about 28 mpg.

To contrast the 530d would give about 35mpg on the motorway and 28 around town.

The initial reading was VERY low, mainly because it spends a bit of time running at standstill during the collection process at the garage.

(but the good bit is that I get my fuel paid even though it's a private car) I'll pay tax on this as a benefit at 40% so in effect if I average 28 mpg, the amount I end up paying in tax will be 'as if' the car did 70 mpg - woohoo!

(makes up for all that nasty company car tax I had to pay)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #168
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Ok guys relax ... I'm here

Been a hectic weekend and start to the week but ...

Picked up the new motor at the weekend ...
Congratulations Snake- looking forward to seeing you & your 'pup' at UK2.

Some of us might be able to show you a few things about your car which you might not learn from anywhere else, isn't that right, Paddy?!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #169
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
Congratulations Snake- looking forward to seeing you & your 'pup' at UK2.

Some of us might be able to show you a few things about your car which you might not learn from anywhere else, isn't that right, Paddy?!

All the best.

Viv

Yep its still in the diary so lookng forward to that.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #170
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Made a posting on the 350z web site regarding my new acquisition and its amazing how slanted some people's views are of BMW's.

After having owned the somewhat troublesome Zed and experienced what can only be described as appalling Dealer service, it is quite surprising how a lot of these guys cannot see how the Bimmer is a quantum leap forward.

They're branding it a rep mobile etc etc and I know how people will defend a car they own, but there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough and admit the whole ownership experience is not what it should be.

Nissan let me down badly and it was all their own doing. They did not look after me and in no way valued my business .. at least thats how they made me feel, and thats the same thing in my book.

Right from the start upon pulling up at the impressive BMW showroom through to car collection the whole process was very professional and friendly, again not how they are perceived by some people.

The 330 M Sport ticks ALL the boxes for me and gives me everything the Zed did, and a whole lot more.

It is an exceptional luxury performance saloon with superb handling.

The straight line speed feels quicker already (even though it shouldn't on paper ?) and the solid handling inspires much more confidence in the bends than the Zed ever did.

The interior is in a different league altogether and the whole package feels so solidly built and you get that reassuring clunk as the door closes: fantastic.

Some day, these guys will see the light and then there's no turning back
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #171
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Made some good progress.

Convinced one of the other 350 owners who is looking to change that the 330 "D" is for the car for him
Appreciate 0