F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > And there it was, gone...
GetBMWParts

07-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #45
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Maybe just me then. I thought the phrase was coined by Siadwel in Naked Video.

"I went outside to get my bicycle and there it was - gone!"
I dont watch those sorts of films, naked video indeed...
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #46
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Of the last 3/4 cars me and my missus have had, if I'd to pick one I'd buy again it would be the Golf GTD.

The mk8 (tech aside) sounds like it's a step down quality wise and the styling just doesn't do it for me. My money would be on the pre-reg Golf R. Does everything you'd need it to and would put a smile on your face on the odd occasion you get to put the foot down.
Have to say that is my first thought... I have always loved my Golf's - in fact kept the GTi when my wife disliked it as my weekend car...

4 exhausts on a 4 pot though, can you get a twin pipe conversion....?
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #47
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Sad to see the M5 go. I still regret selling mine (E39) 18 years ago, but it got too much of the wrong kind of attention parked on the street in London.

I would be tempted to wait, keep an open mind and jump on whatever cheap lease deal comes along and catches your eye. The M5 will be a tough act to follow, but at least the Mini is enjoyable to drive in the meantime.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18821.50
      07-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #48
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Sad to see the M5 go. I still regret selling mine (E39) 18 years ago, but it got too much of the wrong kind of attention parked on the street in London.

I would be tempted to wait, keep an open mind and jump on whatever cheap lease deal comes along and catches your eye. The M5 will be a tough act to follow, but at least the Mini is enjoyable to drive in the meantime.
I think that sums up my feelings. Can you post it daily to keep me on the straight and narrow. The trouble with lease is of course that its more expensive to get out early - or maybe that is a plus..... changing early is expensive if you add it up!

ETA the E39 was the pinnacle of the M5 to me, the latest ones are too good if that is possible...

Last edited by isleaiw1; 07-23-2020 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
JD64276.50
      07-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #49
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
A 300 mile trip in the Mini isn’t going to be that much fun or enjoyable.
Indeed, but it will be cheap and I can in true accountant style console myself with the money I am saving...

Possible options after a quick look at auto trader...

a cheap pre reg Golf R - less than £270 a month with £8k deposit on 3 year PCP.... its a decent car, I loved my GTI, and its cheap. Another rental property a definite if I go that way...

a Volvo - probably V60 - I've had a few, 250 hp in a T5 or more in a T8, great seats, good in a straight line, decent boot, looks nice...

Pre reg Merc CLA 35 estate - nowhere near big enough or comfortable / quiet / refined enough in reality but for some reason appeals, but £10k more than the Golf....

Clubman JCW - or Countryman JCW with 306ps - probably a pre reg or demo.... not sure about another Mini but it has the right credentials...

or the winner so far... f*ck it, wait and see what October brings and plan to spend the money on something that makes money!!

I must remember that retirement beckons in 4 to 11 years....
Must have been hard to see the M5 go!

I really would take the Volvo off the list, as I have mentioned many times and found out the hard way, they look good but tech and gearbox are dog turd. Especially after those of the 5er.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17547.00
isleaiw18821.50
      07-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #50
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

That Golf R deal doesn’t sound too cheap at all given the 8k deposit.

Does the 306ps Clubman come with 4 wheel drive as it would really need it with that power. The grip of the M135i with the same power is immense given the Xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #51
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Must have been hard to see the M5 go!

I really would take the Volvo off the list, as I have mentioned many times and found out the hard way, they look good but tech and gearbox are dog turd. Especially after those of the 5er.
To the first question, not really as it wasnt right for me.

On the second point, if I go for a Volvo it will be Polestar fettled...

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #52
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
That Golf R deal doesn’t sound too cheap at all given the 8k deposit.

Does the 306ps Clubman come with 4 wheel drive as it would really need it with that power. The grip of the M135i with the same power is immense given the Xdrive.
Well I cant find anything else less than £300 a month with same deposit, please point me in the direction of better...

Yes, its a 135i in better clothes...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #53
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
Funnily enough the Evoque did cross my mind, silly money though....
and RR Halewood build quality
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #54
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Quote:
Of the last 3/4 cars me and my missus have had, if I'd to pick one I'd buy again it would be the Golf GTD.

The mk8 (tech aside) sounds like it's a step down quality wise and the styling just doesn't do it for me. My money would be on the pre-reg Golf R. Does everything you'd need it to and would put a smile on your face on the odd occasion you get to put the foot down.
Have to say that is my first thought... I have always loved my Golf's - in fact kept the GTi when my wife disliked it as my weekend car...

4 exhausts on a 4 pot though, can you get a twin pipe conversion....?
Just let them soot up and they blend into the rear valance. I'm sure it's possible, maybe a Miltek back box intended for the GTI would fit with a little manipulation...sounds like hard work though and you can't see the exhausts from the drivers seat
      07-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #55
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Just let them soot up and they blend into the rear valance. I'm sure it's possible, maybe a Miltek back box intended for the GTI would fit with a little manipulation...sounds like hard work though and you can't see the exhausts from the drivers seat
To be fair, I said the same about an SQ5 with fake exhausts and I loved that car...

Lets give it 4 weeks for me to feel the benefit of not having nearly £700 a month go out for the M5 and see whether my retirement / another rental property wins over a car....

£500 net in versus £500 out, should be an easy decision...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #56
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Highly recommend the Golf R. Had mine about 15 months and also came from a 4L V8 in the shape of a C63s Coupe (although that only lasted 8 months lol).

Although its way down on performance, the handling and light front end more than makes up for it. The turn-in is fantastic and is far better than any BMW I've owned (mainly cos they've all been 6 cylinder).

Makes it a fun car to drive without having to do 100mph+ for thrills.

Mine has DCC and is very comfortable. It's renowned for being just about the best all rounder hot hatch. Of course you can get it in the estate too.

And no its not been nicked - and there has no attempts at it being nicked.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18821.50
OneExtra810.50
      07-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #57
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Highly recommend the Golf R. Had mine about 15 months and also came from a 4L V8 in the shape of a C63s Coupe (although that only lasted 8 months lol).

Although its way down on performance, the handling and light front end more than makes up for it. The turn-in is fantastic and is far better than any BMW I've owned (mainly cos they've all been 6 cylinder).

Makes it a fun car to drive without having to do 100mph+ for thrills.

Mine has DCC and is very comfortable. It's renowned for being just about the best all rounder hot hatch. Of course you can get it in the estate too.

And no its not been nicked - and there has no attempts at it being nicked.
How does it sound compared to the merc. Have to admit I’m thinking about a golf r now the S5 has gone....considerably cheaper for a 16 plate example so decent amount in the bank if I did decide do it.....although think prefer the looks of the S3....!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18821.50
      07-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #58
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
I think that sums up my feelings. Can you post it daily to keep me on the straight and narrow. The trouble with lease is of course that its more expensive to get out early - or maybe that is a plus..... changing early is expensive if you add it up!

ETA the E39 was the pinnacle of the M5 to me, the latest ones are too good if that is possible...
the E39 as a range was the pinnacle for BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #59
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
How does it sound compared to the merc. Have to admit I’m thinking about a golf r now the S5 has gone....considerably cheaper for a 16 plate example so decent amount in the bank if I did decide do it.....although think prefer the looks of the S3....!
How does a Golf R sound compared to a 4.0L V8 Merc? The Golf doesn't even come close! You cant beat a V8 for noise and put it in Sport+ you get hilarious pops and bangs.

But the Golf R is ok for a 4 pot - but its no V8 for noise.

Yes the S3 is probably the better looking car with the better interior for sure.

To me the Golf isnt really a "looker" and looks daft with 4 tail pipes. But its all about the drive for me (and the wife doesnt like Audi's ). Done a lot of research before I bought mine and the Golf R does drive better than the S3, so I've read/watched from many sources.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #60
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
How does a Golf R sound compared to a 4.0L V8 Merc? The Golf doesn't even come close! You cant beat a V8 for noise and put it in Sport+ you get hilarious pops and bangs.

But the Golf R is ok for a 4 pot - but its no V8 for noise.

Yes the S3 is probably the better looking car with the better interior for sure.

To me the Golf isnt really a "looker" and looks daft with 4 tail pipes. But its all about the drive for me (and the wife doesnt like Audi's ). Done a lot of research before I bought mine and the Golf R does drive better than the S3, so I've read/watched from many sources.
The sound doesnt bother me, lets be frank the M5 sounds better from outside (as I found when he put it on the transporter...). And looks arent a major issue.... well I can live with which is less good looking versus which is slightly attractive...

Golf R estate appeals - but I need to think carefully and make an informed decision and so far dealers selling them have been shit...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #61
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I've got it...the not heard of much RR Evoque P300e.

41 miles of electric only. Fastest in the range fairly reasonably priced. Dog friendly. Better for parking at Train Station. Family sized.

Just maybe wait a Qtr for early adopters to sort the build.

I honestly think it will be a cracking package. Better range and boot space than Munichs offerings.
Funnily enough the Evoque did cross my mind, silly money though....
Only dog friendly if it's a small dog. One of mine would be a squeeze in there and certainly not two!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #62
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer......

and maybe an M2. A 600Hp, automatic, AWD, near 2tonne, 5m car usually isnt.
I love the MX5 my wifes 2012 one was fabulous, I think I drove it more than her!!!

Not sure it would be special enough after the Elise though and I really want that raw driving experience that an Exige or Caterham will provide in spades. I am even shying away from the Cayman at present but that could change.

The coffers are swelling nicely so I am just going to wait the summer out and see what's on offer. Like the Elise I suspect the next 'fun' car will stay with me for at least 5 years so there is no rush.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 12:36 AM   #63
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Definitely an experience worth having by the sound of it. Have always hankered after an SMB M5 CP myself for the power/refinement combo but as you say, UK roads these days just don't lend themselves to these sorts of cars. That said, I was out walking a few days ago and an M5 CP came past slowing for a roundabout. On seeing it was clear he booted it a litle bit and the soundtrack was amazing - a deep growl that puts the MPPSK to shame

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18821.50
      07-24-2020, 01:34 AM   #64
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I do think it's increasingly difficult to exploit the potential of very high powered cars on UK roads. Obviously that depends to some extent on where you live but even here in North Yorkshire - which has some great driving roads and a relatively low level of congestion - the dreaded camera vans are often lurking to spoil any enjoyment.

For that reason I think fun is more likely to be found in something like an Elise or perhaps even an MX5; they're not rocket ships in a straight line but the higher level of involvement and intimacy makes for a much more satisfying driving experience even at legal speeds. All IMHO of course!

ETA: And if you don't want more than one vehicle, a G21 M340i does a very good job of covering most of the bases - might be a bit biased there though!
My thoughts exactly. 15 or 20 years ago it was possible to go out and stretch a cars legs and exploit the power a bit. Now there are too many cameras, the roads are in a bad way and there's more traffic. I've given up on trying to go fast.
Appreciate 3
Sennen1735.00
G50956.00
isleaiw18821.50
      07-24-2020, 01:45 AM   #65
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
My thoughts exactly. 15 or 20 years ago it was possible to go out and stretch a cars legs and exploit the power a bit. Now there are too many cameras, the roads are in a bad way and there's more traffic. I've given up on trying to go fast.
For me outright speed has never really been directly linked to my enjoyment though.

The thrill of driving a 2 tonne car with 600hp even without any speed restrictions would soon wear off.

To feel every input and the sensation of speed even at modest levels down a favourite road in a car like an MX5 or Elise is something very special and is something I am never likely to tire from.

If the OP wants something to trawl up and down the motorway in extreme luxury I would recommend a FF Range Rover but I expect the novelty of that would soon wear thin for him too.
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18821.50
OneExtra810.50
      07-24-2020, 02:16 AM   #66
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
For me outright speed has never really been directly linked to my enjoyment though.

The thrill of driving a 2 tonne car with 600hp even without any speed restrictions would soon wear off.

To feel every input and the sensation of speed even at modest levels down a favourite road in a car like an MX5 or Elise is something very special and is something I am never likely to tire from.

If the OP wants something to trawl up and down the motorway in extreme luxury I would recommend a FF Range Rover but I expect the novelty of that would soon wear thin for him too.
I would love a FFRR, but there are two or three reasons why I wont have one...

1. Money - too rich for me to get one with a good warranty remaining
2. too big - for the station / supermarket runs and I really should get down to one car...
3. I'd worry about it being damaged by jealous scrotes or nicked to order...

I am going to wait for the Quarter 4 deals though, and if nothing of interest then I will wait for the end of year deals or new year deals - and if nothing then I will conclude the Mini is OK for now...
Appreciate 0