E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > JL Motoring trunk spoiler installed wrong??

03-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

looks fine to me....
      03-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #24
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrazie1 View Post
looks fine to me....
Really??? It just looks off to me, it just doesn't fit properly, it hangs off the back, the edges dont lay down either.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Really??? It just looks off to me, it just doesn't fit properly, it hangs off the back, the edges dont lay down either.
ok, now i see it hanging off the edge a bit. Not terrible but it's there.
      03-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #26
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
looks like the spoiler itself is the problem. not 3m tape or betalink or any adhesive.
      03-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #27
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
The company still is insisting it is fine?? Said the spoiler needs to be adjusted on the trunk and then held down with tape....yeah right! Let's see here, a body shop that specializes in BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes even said the spoiler was not a good fit, everyone on here says this also.... That is enough proof for me!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Looking at it closely, the only adjustment I can think of to get it to fit better is to mount it from the center out. That is, ensure the center is tight to the body and then make sure it is installed so it isn't bowed which should move the edges out a bit and maybe get a better fit. The view from below the Trunk clearly shows that there's a gap between the spoiler and the trunk. That obviously shouldn't be the case even if mounted with 3M tape. I've mounted three different spoilers on my E92 with 3M tape and have had excellent results in fit and adhesion.
      03-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

I was the one who suggested a betalink install, rather than a 3M tape install, and I still stand by my claim. Being a rep part, this will never fit like OEM. However, I strongly believe that, by having the piece fit more tightly against the trunk, it will fit more nicely. And it still looks to me like it was installed too "high" on the trunk...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
I was the one who suggested a betalink install, rather than a 3M tape install, and I still stand by my claim. Being a rep part, this will never fit like OEM. However, I strongly believe that, by having the piece fit more tightly against the trunk, it will fit more nicely. And it still looks to me like it was installed too "high" on the trunk...
+1. You bought a replica piece, you can't expect OEM fitment. Nevertheless, the fitment is actually pretty good by aftermarket standards. I've seen way worse fitment by "reputable companies" *cough* vorsteiner.

The problem is your using tape on a piece thats super thin and is hanging on a ledge. The thickness of the tape is giving you gap problems and the tape itself is going to sag a bit. You're better off using betalink (which is what the OEM piece recommends you use). This way you'll get a extremely tight fit so you won't see gap or tape, and you won't have to worry about it sagging. Will it fit like OEM? No, but if you wanted OEM fitment, you should have went OEM. But it will fit 90%.
      03-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #31
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
That us what I will try next "beta link" but it will still hang off the rear no matter what you do....maybe it is supposed to? That part doesn't bother me...it is the sides that bother me.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #32
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
+1. You bought a replica piece, you can't expect OEM fitment. Nevertheless, the fitment is actually pretty good by aftermarket standards. I've seen way worse fitment by "reputable companies" *cough* vorsteiner.

The problem is your using tape on a piece thats super thin and is hanging on a ledge. The thickness of the tape is giving you gap problems and the tape itself is going to sag a bit. You're better off using betalink (which is what the OEM piece recommends you use). This way you'll get a extremely tight fit so you won't see gap or tape, and you won't have to worry about it sagging. Will it fit like OEM? No, but if you wanted OEM fitment, you should have went OEM. But it will fit 90%.
I can understand that, but what is on the site should reflect that...the pics on the site show OEM fitment. I was also emailed links showing that "This is how it fits" and it was a OEM spoiler in the link lol! I do understand your statement though
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #33
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I can understand that, but what is on the site should reflect that...the pics on the site show OEM fitment. I was also emailed links showing that "This is how it fits" and it was a OEM spoiler in the link lol! I do understand your statement though
The problem with most of these aftermarket manufacturers is they don't change their molds as often as they should. It really isn't hard to replicate a piece and get the same exact fitment, but after a while the mold starts to get out of shape and thats where issues arise. I don't doubt when they first made the spoiler, the fitment was dead on, and typically when they test fit and take photos, its always of the first few pieces. But if you get stuck with a piece towards the end of the mold, you will see fitment issues come up.

Nevertheless, good luck adjusting your spoiler. I really suggest you use betalink, though do know it is permanent.
      03-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #34
Ed328xiCoupe2011
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi Coupe Alpine White

Quote:
The problem with most of these aftermarket manufacturers is they don't change their molds as often as they should. It really isn't hard to replicate a piece and get the same exact fitment, but after a while the mold starts to get out of shape and thats where issues arise. I don't doubt when they first made the spoiler, the fitment was dead on, and typically when they test fit and take photos, its always of the first few pieces. But if you get stuck with a piece towards the end of the mold, you will see fitment issues come up.

Nevertheless, good luck adjusting your spoiler. I really suggest you use betalink, though do know it is permanent.
+1, I guess your only option is to take down the spoiler and remove the 3M tape then place your spoiler tight against the trunk to see how much better it fits before you put it on with betalink.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #35
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:

That makes total sense, I may get betalink for this spoiler or I may just go get a OEM and use betalink on that....haven't decided yet. I was going to get front splitters but those will probably have fitment issues as well, is there OEM splitters?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #36
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

Your car is screaming to do it right the first time...

Get the CF CSL trunk, paint it, and move on to other mods.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #37
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
Your car is screaming to do it right the first time...

Get the CF CSL trunk, paint it, and move on to other mods.
Funny you say that because I was just looking at that! Right now I have JB4, DCI, CPE BOV kit "tial" (I did not get it for the noise it makes Lol!). I
Have a
Strett stage 2 oil cooler, HPF intercooler, CPE down pipes on the way. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #38
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Betalink might be fine and work great but it's a pain for cleanup.
I attached my ACS spoiler with 3M windshield adhesive.
You can clean up with isopropyl alcohol and it is about as permanent Betalink.
You can reposition, then tape it down.
You can also fill any small voids and go back and clean it up. You will not see any gaps.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #39
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Betalink might be fine and work great but it's a pain for cleanup.
I attached my ACS spoiler with 3M windshield adhesive.
You can clean up with isopropyl alcohol and it is about as permanent Betalink.
You can reposition, then tape it down.
You can also fill any small voids and go back and clean it up. You will not see any gaps.

Good luck.
Interesting, how long is the dry time?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #40
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

JL Motoring trunk spoiler installed wrong??

Quote:
Interesting, how long is the dry time?
It only takes a few hours.
It has to dry fast because it's what windshield installers use.
It allows repositioning and adjustments before you fully tape it down.
I dry installed and used a grease pencil and bright yellow auto body masking tape to position it and mark the location.

I then removed it and masked off the area where the spoiler was not going.
So I left an outline in tape and a bare spot on the paint.

I then used isopropyl alcohol to clean wax and grease from the area.
I cleaned the mating surface of the spoiler with alcohol.
I then applied the adhesive around the mating surface and across the middle of the spoiler. I positioned it and pressed firmly. I then removed it to check to see if the adhesive was making contact on both surfaces.

I then applied additional adhesive where contact wasn't good.
I reinstalled the spoiler and did final positioning.
I then used the same yellow tape to both pull the spoiler tight on the ends and hold it in place.

Wait 3 hours or longer.

Remove masking tape.
Run a bead along the leading edge and used a latex gloved hand the finish the bead. clean up all excess immediately with alcohol.

Done.

No pictures. Sorry 8-(

Last edited by techwhiz; 03-14-2012 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #41
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
It only takes a few hours.
It has to dry fast because it's what windshield installers use.
It allows repositioning and adjustments before you fully tape it down.
I dry installed and used a grease pencil and bright yellow auto body masking tape to position it and mark the location.

I then removed it and masked off the area where the spoiler was not going.
So I left an outline in tape and a bare spot on the paint.

I then used isopropyl alcohol to clean wax and grease from the area.
I cleaned the mating surface of the spoiler with alcohol.
I then applied the adhesive around the mating surface and across the middle of the spoiler. I positioned it and pressed firmly. I then removed it to check to see if the adhesive was making contact on both surfaces.

I then applied additional adhesive where contact wasn't good.
I reinstalled the spoiler and did final positioning.
I then used the same yellow tape to both pull the spoiler tight on the ends and hold it in place.

Wait 3 hours or longer.

Remove masking tape.
Run a bead along the leading edge and used a latex gloved hand the finish the bead. clean up all excess immediately with alcohol.

Done.

No pictures. Sorry 8-(
I will look into this!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #42
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrazie1 View Post
ok, now i see it hanging off the edge a bit. Not terrible but it's there.
I saw the fitment yesterday myself and it does not look right. The picture does not tell the whole truth! The back part is not even flush with the trunk and it basically does not fit right at all! It does not even look close to the picture of the shared link. I would use a different type of tape that's not so thick. Betalink would work but if you don't like it down the road then you might have a problem getting rid of it off your trunk. Have you tried looking at this spoiler instead of the one you got on? Also if you need help let me know and I'll help you install it next time instead of you having to go some place else. That way we both know it will get done right!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #43
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I saw the fitment yesterday myself and it does not look right. The picture does not tell the whole truth! The back part is not even flush with the trunk and it basically does not fit right at all! It does not even look close to the picture of the shared link. I would use a different type of tape that's not so thick. Betalink would work but if you don't like it down the road then you might have a problem getting rid of it off your trunk. Have you tried looking at this spoiler instead of the one you got on? Also if you need help let me know and I'll help you install it next time instead of you having to go some place else. That way we both know it will get done right!
Good talking to you yesterday, yeah the spoiler is honestly just a bad fit, I may go with the one you have linked above, I will take you up on the offer to You have a trully awesome car man!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #44
DirtyD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi e92 Alpine White

Quote:
First thing, JL motoring makes a great product and has great customer service....this was NOT installed by them or me....it was installed by a local speed-shop that I am NOT real pleased with right now assumming I am correct about how this spoiler should look. In the below pics is this installed right? I would think the spoiler would follow the lines of the body a LOT better? It looks as if they have the spoiler sitting to low and has casued it to lift up on the edges (it is put on with 3M tape but I know the tape did NOT do this LOL!!). Opinions or pictures of a M-tech spoiler on a E90 would be great!

Thanks everyone, and the forum is great....I havevread countless hours on here and all my mods where possible because of this great place.

Rob

i've got a spoiler from JL Motoring as well. It fits like crap. Very dissatisfied with their products. Their roof spoiler fits crappy as well. They also didn't ship to me 2 parts that I ordered. I don't think i'll be ordering very much more from them. Their parts are good quality, but fit horribly.

2008328xie92
Alpine WhiteSaddle Brown
Appreciate 0