BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum B&W sound system worth it?

08-15-2022, 06:27 PM   #23
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
As others have already pointed out, B&W is better than H/K.

But there are multiple caveats here.
  • Does it blow it out of the water? - NO, not really.
  • Does it have a better base? - Yes.
  • Is it better with lossless content? - Yes.
  • Is it better with lossy content (MP3) or streaming? - NO, garbage in - garbage out.
  • Are you going to hear the difference at 70MPH - Yes, if you play it loud enough.
  • Is it worth the price? - Yes, if you can afford it.

All of this is subjective, of course, as 2 people will always have 4 opinions about the system sound quality .... so take it for it's worth.
Yes. All of this, obviously. But you left out the single MOST IMPORTANT reason why one needs to upgrade.

Lit. Speakers. 😂😂

Both literally and metaphorically.
Appreciate 1
Missduvy288.00
      08-16-2022, 06:06 PM   #24
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
Yes. All of this, obviously. But you left out the single MOST IMPORTANT reason why one needs to upgrade.

Lit. Speakers. 😂😂

Both literally and metaphorically.
And the bragging rights, and the tiny text on the dash center speaker. All the important elements of the sound system.
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2022, 08:02 PM   #25
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
Really a shame that it doesn't blow it out of the water. The HK is pretty flat and disappointing as and upgrade option and really should be the base standard in a car of this caliber. The B&W in my 2016 Volvo blew the BMW HK out of the water so you would think it would in BMW also as its 2x the price vs the Volvo upgrade.
Volvo now charges $3200 for the XC90 B & W upgrade. The extra 6 1/2 speaker Volvo has at the bottom on the door for a total of three on the door makes a difference. Too bad the X7 doesn't have that.

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 11:38 PM   #26
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
Quote:
Really a shame that it doesn't blow it out of the water. The HK is pretty flat and disappointing as and upgrade option and really should be the base standard in a car of this caliber. The B&W in my 2016 Volvo blew the BMW HK out of the water so you would think it would in BMW also as its 2x the price vs the Volvo upgrade.
Volvo now charges $3200 for the XC90 B & W upgrade. The extra 6 1/2 speaker Volvo has at the bottom on the door for a total of three on the door makes a difference. Too bad the X7 doesn't have that.
It's always been $3200 for the XC90.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 05:44 AM   #27
X7 Recruit
out driving
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X7, 997.2, Mini Cab, M440i Cab

My 2022 has the B&W and I'm very impressed. I'm coming from a Macan Turbo with the Burmester, which was good, but the difference is night and day when compared to the B&W - which frankly blows the Macan's system out of the water. No comparison.

Yes, the markup is high but IMO the sound quality more than justifies the price. I'm using Apple Music, so lossless audio (though often over Bluetooth) but even streaming an internet radio station from the iPhone, the sound is of a very high quality, regardless of volume or speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #28
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

2016 and below HKs seemed to be pretty decent IMO. Since then with their cost cutting measures it's been pretty mediocre. For those that have taken it out and replaced it with a Bavsound or Focal, you can clearly see the quality is night and day, which in turn the sound quality. I had the B&O system in my 2016 F85 and it was quite awesome. I have faith that the new B&W system is just as impressive. If I am the type to custom order, I would for sure order the B&W. And since I only buy from the lot, if they had a unit with or without, it will always be with in lieu of everything else :-).
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:14 PM   #29
Bigdurr40
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 40i

Purchased my 2019 40i last year used w/HK system. Upgraded all speakers and subs to alpha ones and it was night and day. Assuming it's still not better that B&W, but worth considering if price is an issue or B&W option is unavailable.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #30
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

A bit off topic, but Jeep is putting McIntosh brand systems in its Grand Wagoneer. Anyone had a chance to experience its quality?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 07:02 AM   #31
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
A bit off topic, but Jeep is putting McIntosh brand systems in its Grand Wagoneer. Anyone had a chance to experience its quality?
I did. I had a Grand Wagoneer Series III for almost 3 months; most of that was spent at the dealer not working. Mine had the upgraded McIntosh Reference System and I also experienced the base system in the loaner Wagoneers I had while mine was being worked on. Both were really bassy and disappointing. People were complaining all over the forums about both. What was particularly interesting was the number of people alleging (grain of salt, of course) how many of the actual speakers in the vehicles were nothing more than plain Alpine speakers with just a couple of actual McIntosh speakers.

Loved all of my Ram Trucks so I was kind of expecting a little more from Stellantis/FCA.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 08:13 AM   #32
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

A bit more on-topic -- what genres of music are you finding to be most demonstrative in differentiating the quality of these audio systems? Does anyone have a particular recording you use to benchmark them? Surely there's more to it than "anything hip-hop played at 140 dB" (personal observation from multiple traffic light controlled intersections).
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 12:21 PM   #33
Presplan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
A bit more on-topic -- what genres of music are you finding to be most demonstrative in differentiating the quality of these audio systems? Does anyone have a particular recording you use to benchmark them? Surely there's more to it than "anything hip-hop played at 140 dB" (personal observation from multiple traffic light controlled intersections).
If you have Spotify, look up playlists with Bowers & Wilkins. You can find some good tracks to help fine tune your preferences.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:22 PM   #34
DutchOven88
Rep

Quote:
It depends on your expectation. Its definitely good enough but IMO its lacking a bit of range. Music sounds a little flat. If you are very picky about music and will be listening to higher quality lossless streaming you will be happy to have gotten the B&W.

Agree 100% that it's just "a bit" flat - it lacks timbre at the high end, lows aren't too sharp and the mids are just kinda there but just filling the gap … really unimpressive . Honestly, I found airplane headphones to be a comparable likeness to the hifi system.

Just did a speaker swap and already (without the amp being installed yet), it has a lot more life, only issue is that the amp is so underpowered it's got to be at about 85% to hear the start of the new speaker capability.

If you're wondering, I opted for Focal who makes a line of drop ins and selected the JL vxi 8 channel to power the drivers (being installed tomorrow)

I skipped the match (which would have been a great option if they didn't discontinue the bmw7 and it were available-although their tech support isn't the most accessible) and bimmertech for sake of issues over them being reachable and warranty communication
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 05:00 PM   #35
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The B&W Diamond system in the X7 is outstanding. One of THE best factory audio systems produced. I wouldn't buy a X7 without it. Sound stage is amazing in every seating position. The HK is respectable average level audio and should be considered base level in this vehicle.
I am a acoustic/audio expert.
Here is everything you need to know as owner or potential B&W owner. Its been discussed at length in many threads.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1763537

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-23-2022 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2022, 09:40 PM   #36
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Unless you are just really needing to pinch some pennies, the B&W system is a no brainier. Think of it as 1k for a great lighting/aesthetics upgrade and 2.4K for a great audio upgrade. The sounds stage is great, speakers are in great locations, mixing is nice for the main seating locations, and it's so adjustable you can dial it into your preferences. It's not lossless, but Apple CarPlay from Apple Music sounds very nice, much much better than satellite. Podcasts also have a very natural sound, which makes them easy to listen to. You're not going to think you have a JL Sub in the back, but it's good. Most of those against it are trying to rationalize not getting it. I doubt many regret getting it. The couple of the preset sound stages are darn good.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 08:27 AM   #37
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Tidal has master tracks that sound excellent!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #38
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Unless you are just really needing to pinch some pennies, the B&W system is a no brainier. Think of it as 1k for a great lighting/aesthetics upgrade and 2.4K for a great audio upgrade. The sounds stage is great, speakers are in great locations, mixing is nice for the main seating locations, and it's so adjustable you can dial it into your preferences. It's not lossless, but Apple CarPlay from Apple Music sounds very nice, much much better than satellite. Podcasts also have a very natural sound, which makes them easy to listen to. You're not going to think you have a JL Sub in the back, but it's good. Most of those against it are trying to rationalize not getting it. I doubt many regret getting it. The couple of the preset sound stages are darn good.
How is the built Spotify sound?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 06:55 PM   #39
Presplan
Enlisted Member
Rep

What music streaming services are best to use for getting HD sound out of the B&W system?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 07:39 PM   #40
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
How is the built Spotify sound?
Not sure, I'm not a Spotify subscriber. Apple Music is surprisingly good with CarPlay, which uses WiFi. XM never sounds good to me regardless of the system. HD radio sounds great as well.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #41
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Switched from Spotify to Tidal, as I mention a couple of posts above, about a year ago and have never looked back. My wife even comments on how awesome it is.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2022, 08:37 PM   #42
Presplan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradythedog12 View Post
Switched from Spotify to Tidal, as I mention a couple of posts above, about a year ago and have never looked back. My wife even comments on how awesome it is.
Thanks for your input. I took a look at Tidal and it sounds really good with purchasing the $20/month subscription. Amazon HD looks good as well and it’s a little bit less expensive. I already have Spotify and Sirius. Will compare after I eventually get my car.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 03:55 PM   #43
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7 40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchOven88 View Post
Agree 100% that it's just "a bit" flat - it lacks timbre at the high end, lows aren't too sharp and the mids are just kinda there but just filling the gap … really unimpressive . Honestly, I found airplane headphones to be a comparable likeness to the hifi system.

Just did a speaker swap and already (without the amp being installed yet), it has a lot more life, only issue is that the amp is so underpowered it's got to be at about 85% to hear the start of the new speaker capability.

If you're wondering, I opted for Focal who makes a line of drop ins and selected the JL vxi 8 channel to power the drivers (being installed tomorrow)

I skipped the match (which would have been a great option if they didn't discontinue the bmw7 and it were available-although their tech support isn't the most accessible) and bimmertech for sake of issues over them being reachable and warranty communication
Did you get the 9.2 system from focal? How do the locals compare to the B&W after you finished install?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #44
jeep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,18 M4,19 530e,08 e70

I have HK systems on my M4, 5 Series and X7, and it sounds best on the 5 series. In the X7 at low volumes it doesn't have enough sound stage and at high volume it sounds a bit boomy, however I haven't tried tuning it. HK is 500W vs 1500W for B&W and it definitely feels that way. A buddy has B&W in the X7 and it does sound fantastic, however will I plonk an additional 4k is debatable, if you are regularly doing long commutes then it might be worth it however if you are doing mostly short commutes, you might just want to relax and listen to your music sitting on your leather couch drinking some nice whiskey
Regarding streaming services, I love Tidal it's way better than Spotify in my opinion, heck even Pandora free plan is better than Spotify.
Appreciate 0