BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
accely
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 550xi M-sport Jet black

Alternating 'drone' noise with new rear tire

*FIXED* it was the ball bearings, dealer replaced and the noise is gone finally.. not a cheap labor fix but I'm glad it's gone.

Hey everyone, i recently had to have my rear right tire/rim/caliper replaced at the dealer. Since then as I get up to speed i start hearing an alternating in volume 'drone' noise as if it's from the tire or something rotating. It's definitely a tire sound IMO

Before the repairs I had Pilot Super Sports in the back on both sides, now the rear left is using a used PSS and the right was replaced with a slightly used Pilot Sport, tread is off between them by about 2mm. I think 4mm left, 6mm right

Is this what is possibly causing the sound? Basically now two different tires which I know can't be good either. I told them to swap the rear left but they obviously forgot to, so I need to schedule a time to take it in and get the other PS put on the left rear so they are matching again.

it's driving me nuts aside from sounding horrible it gives me a headache

Last edited by accely; 08-20-2014 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: posted the problem/fix
Appreciate 0