BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-18-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
ToddM3FutureOwner
Rep
Drives: Future Owner

Potential new M3 owner...I have some questions

I have an order for a new 2015 GT Fastback performance package that is fully loaded. Leather Recaro's, NAV, etc. Every option but floor mats. The reviews came out today and they have been mixed for the handful that have been posted online. This is where my love for the V8 powered M3 has surfaced again

I have always been a M3 lover ever since the V8 made it into this car. I have never owned a BMW or know much about them. Spent about 3hrs today reading up on the 2013 M3. This car appears to be a great overall performance car and the reliability seems really good, at least what I have read up on.

Being new to the BMW world, can you all provide information on the reliability of this motor/engine and overall car quality, etc? I plan on only doing an exhaust and really not much else. I am really leaning towards this 2013 over the new 2015 GT. I want an overall performance car with great road and track manners, that has great build quality, V8 and exceptional material quality. I am looking to get an Elite CPO or pickup a lease trade from some one with low miles (3-7k or below).

Another item I have no clue about is the BMW warranty and their maintenance programs I see where it covers oil changes, etc. I need to spend time reading up on that. Especially if I buy an Elite CPO. I appears the ones I have looked at today have 6yr/100k coverage. Is that bumper to bumper coverage or just the drivetrain? Sorry for all the questions.

Any info you all can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Nice Rumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

No comparison. Test drive an M3 as fast as you can and you'll forget all about the Ford.

As to the Maintenance program, cut the oil change intervals in half. 15K miles between oil changes is not a good way to take care of your motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Please search. These questions are posted every other day.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
CDNRay
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 DCT

I am a fairly new M3 owner as well, I have a '12 coupe, dct with competition package. I absolutely love this car. Now, I was comparing my car against a C63 and the ISF. I've owned a few Lexus' before, so the ISF was fairly quickly off the table. I chose the M over the C63 because I felt it was a much more refined car and something I could live with as a daily driver.

I'm admittedly not much of a domestic fan, but the new mustang does look great. If you're leaning towards the M, I would so go for it. You will absolutely have no regrets. It's a fantastic car to drive on the streets as it's quite docile, but then push the M button and lean in on the gas and it's an animal.

I highly recommend you drive one before you make your final decision. My only real complaint about my car is the cupholder placement. They kinda suck.

Post some pics of your M when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRay View Post
I am a fairly new M3 owner as well, I have a '12 coupe, dct with competition package. I absolutely love this car. Now, I was comparing my car against a C63 and the ISF. I've owned a few Lexus' before, so the ISF was fairly quickly off the table. I chose the M over the C63 because I felt it was a much more refined car and something I could live with as a daily driver.

I'm admittedly not much of a domestic fan, but the new mustang does look great. If you're leaning towards the M, I would so go for it. You will absolutely have no regrets. It's a fantastic car to drive on the streets as it's quite docile, but then push the M button and lean in on the gas and it's an animal.

I highly recommend you drive one before you make your final decision. My only real complaint about my car is the cupholder placement. They kinda suck.

Post some pics of your M when you get it.

Cup holder placement sucks because it was an afterthought. If you look at the Euro car, the dash is just smooth and there is no cup holders at all. They def suck, but work.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Go drive and see if you REALLY like it or not. Then do your research on here. Like others have mentioned, almost all your questions will be answered if you use the search feature or look under the sub-categories. I spent hours and hours on here and it's full of useful information if you just look for it.

Good luck and enjoy your test drive.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
brianpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

There's no comparison between the Mustang and the BMW in terms of both build quality and quality of materials, particularly in the interior. The differences will be evident immediately.

The V8 in the GT will be more raw and brutal than what's found in the M3, which will also be obvious right away. I prefer how refined the S65 is in everyday driving situations, but like others have pointed out, you can turn it into a snarling monster with only a minimum of effort.

There are lots of comparisons on this forum. Like others have said also, searching for opinions would benefit you.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
ToddM3FutureOwner
Rep

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will certainly go drive one along with doing many searches here to find the info. Appreciate it very much.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Cup holder placement sucks because it was an afterthought. If you look at the Euro car, the dash is just smooth and there is no cup holders at all. They def suck, but work.
Not sure what u mean mate, we certainly have holders over here as well, and in fact can't see any issues with them. Why, do you of some reason have a different set up?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Not sure what u mean mate, we certainly have holders over here as well, and in fact can't see any issues with them. Why, do you of some reason have a different set up?

Cheers
pretty sure they are either non-existent in Europe or at least an option.

Most euro cars don't have them hence why they seem tacked on. The little strip on the dash is a flush piece so it eliminates them .
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
pretty sure they are either non-existent in Europe or at least an option.

Most euro cars don't have them hence why they seem tacked on. The little strip on the dash is a flush piece so it eliminates them .
+ 1 with the Viking !
This are our cup holders and stock in our Euro/spec cars .
Above the glove box integrated into dash,so what's the difference with the US/spec ?
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

^^^US here and this interior is exactly as mine. In fact I thought it was mine down to the same floor mats!! Cup holders exactly the same area.
I have to be honest, the cup holders are really cool as they pop out and passengers love them. However, if your bringing home two drinks like coffe etc. They are hard to reach and not the most stable either. In other words, no M button when I have two drinks in them.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #13
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

low rpm thrust? mustang
quality and handling? m3
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #14
ToddM3FutureOwner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
low rpm thrust? mustang
quality and handling? m3
So very true. Of course the 2015 Mustang now has IRS and much improved interior and quality of materials.

I love the M3 though...That engine noise is sooooo intoxicating.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Okay CUP Holders are an option in the Euro cars. DO a quick search and you'll see the dash pics of that include flush trim to replace the cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #16
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

If you lust for a big lumpy v8 with gobbs of torque but low on refinement- look past the M3. If you want an experience that is somewhat 'other worldy' with hints of F1 screaming 8400 redline - take the M3 for a lengthy test drive and then (important here) recognize that you just discovered about 60% of its capabilities and features. Im a car geek and after 6 months of ownership I am still discovering settings, refinements, engineering marvels and other M3 bespoke features. Just take a look at 8 throttle bodies (true race engine stuff) and an energy recapture system designed so the Alternator can be decoupled from the engine to reduce parasitic drag (allow free reving). The throttle response of the S65 likely can only be matched by cars costing 2x or more. this is what excites me - the truly racey sounds coming fromo intake and exhaust and the crazy quick throttle response. I still shake my head in disblief that this is a large company production car.

However, If reading about 0-60 times in a controlled environment is what most impresses you - also look past the M. Also, if getting beat in a red light race by a big motor car (Viper) worries you - look past the M. Note that the e9x M capabilites are so far beyond what is safe on the streets you will at times be frustrated.
      09-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
MineralWhiteDropTop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

I bought my 2013 E93 about 8 weeks ago...... Found one loaded with 5K miles CPO.

You will not be dissapointed..... TRUST ME. I loved my modded out SVT Lightning (and still have it)...... but BMW is where its at!
      09-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #18
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

While a loyal fanatic M3 owner I am liking the new Mustang. Awesome recaro seats, great motor and IRS. I'm sure the mods for the Mustang will be epic as well.

Having said that the S65 is the 1st and last V8 M3. AS the other posts noted the engine and steering feel are sublime.

You really need to drive both.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #19
WinterSoldier
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Coupe

PM sent.

Forza Michael!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 02:33 AM   #20
BlueCoyote
Private
Rep
Drives: A beater

The problem with posting this question on this board is that no one here has any first hand knowledge of how the new 2015 Mustang actually drives and handles. It seems like everyone is just assuming it will drive like the old SRA cars and probably aren't even aware of how different the new suspension is. As a Mustang guy myself, I have been following the S550 very closely and from what I've read, the handling, braking, and refinement have very much improved while the engine remains excellent. I've also heard great things about the steering feel, and in fact, that it is even superior to the feel in the M3. The two cars are probably closer than people here think or would even admit. I'm sure the new Mustang can be had for $10k less than a 2013 M3 (depending on mileage and options of course).

I was also contemplating getting a used E92 M3. After sitting inside one, I didn't feel like it was a significant enough upgrade over my 2013 Mustang GT interior with the Premium and C/S packages. Better, of course, but not $20k better. I decided to keep my 2013 GT for now and will re-evaluate in about 4 years. (Now the new F82 interior oth, that's a different story. Miles better than the S197, S550, or E9x interiors.)

My advice is to wait and test drive BOTH an S550 GT and the E9x M3 and see which one you like better. I think you will find both to be awesome cars, each with their own advantages and highlights, and probably can't go wrong either way.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 04:21 AM   #21
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCoyote View Post
The problem with posting this question on this board is that no one here has any first hand knowledge of how the new 2015 Mustang actually drives and handles. .......
This. I actually LOVE the looks of the new Mustang. Looks like the old Mustang had sex with an Aston Martin Vantage and this was the result. Also, I have heard that the Mustang has really been taken up a notch in terms of overall fit and finish.

Between the 2015 GT and an e9x M3, I would take the M3. However, the GT350 is just around the corner. With the probability of a 5.2L 8000+ rpm NA V8 motor with over 500hp, and all the other handling and performance goodies, I will be giving it serious consideration myself. Even if the interior isn't fully up to snuff, my bet is that it will still be pretty good.

To the OP.....If you must buy now, get the M3, but my vote is to wait for the GT350, then decide.

Last edited by LarThaL; 09-27-2014 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0