BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
BRASSCRAF
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP DCT

Euro Plates on US Bumper

Is there a good solution besides double sided tape to put euro plates on a US bumper front and rear? Taking a US car with me overseas -- not posing. Searched and found all sorts of threads about this for the front but nothing for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

On the front I have used a plate mount that was screwed into the plastic bumper. On my last car I used double sided tape with no issues for 6,000 miles. Just bend the plate to the curve and tape.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
BRASSCRAF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Just bend the plate to the curve and tape.
That's plan B -- but not sure if it will pass inspection. Also not sure how that would work for the rear. Ideally I am looking for something like the tow hook mount but for euro plates and some sort of adapter for the rear holes for a euro plate.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Are you military? If so, taping the plate to the front won't pass inspection. They are VERY strict about their "rules" and are total a**holes about it when you don't abide by them.

My advice to you, is to make it look like the plate mount is screwed to the front bumper. They go through so many cars a day, unless they have a reason to probe deeper during their inspection, they won't. When I went through the line, I had my temporary plate double sided taped to the front. I didn't have my plate mount on yet, because the temp plates are a different shape and size, so I didn't see the point of putting it on yet. I was going to double sided tape it on after I passed inspection and got my real plates. They failed me because my front plate was improperly mounted to the front. I told them I had a plate mount in the trunk, and the reason I didn't put it on yet is because I didn't have my real plates yet. They didn't care, and made a fuss about my double sided tape and even said "are you going to trust double sided tape going down the Autobahn?" My answer was yes, more than screws, but that's besides the point.

Anyways, they made me go back out after they failed me, and get back in line (about an hour and a half wait) just to reinspect my plate after I drilled into the front. They were total dicks and made sure I used screws this time. They would absolutely not allow me to use double sided tape.

Point is, if you go through the first time with your plate mount double sided taped on, and put your temporary plate over it, as long as it is solid, you MIGHT get away with it if they don't realize it is on there with tape and not screws. If they do notice, they will probably fail you, in which case you go back out, bite the bullet, swallow your pride and drill into your front bumper like I did, then go get reinspected. Don't bother arguing with them. They are rude and will win everytime. Not worth the headache. Just nod and smile, and comply.

As for the rear, the plate mounts have several mounting holes that will line up with whatever holes you have in your rear trunk lid. Just take your American plate mount off (if there is one from the factory) and screw the plate mount to the back. It's that easy. The euro plates don't use screws, they snap into the bracket that you screw to the car.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions let me know.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
You can get the gominigo mount for the front, if you dont want to drill the front bumper. And just get a new plate holder for the rear from Autounger or OBI or whatever. Costs about 5 euro for one. Works fine. All of our trunks have the same width so euro plate will fit fine. You really dont want to use double sided tape on the autobahn...

AND the insp guys really know their stuff so trying to trick them is futile. I tried to pass with front tint (35% its factory tint! ) and he failed me. Rolled out, pulled tint off, rolled in, passed...

AND! Dont forget to look ///M-Flight up when you get here... The link is for the Bavaria chapter, but we are all over Germany and Europe for that matter...

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 10-09-2014 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
BRASSCRAF
Rep

What is used to affix the rear plate in europe? IE what's the euro version of this part: http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/143021_x800.jpg ?
Appreciate 0