BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

VMR 710 vs Apex EC7?

Any thoughts on VMR 710 vs APEX EC7/PS7?

Leaning towards APEX, but VMR stands at a decent price tho...

*For use on a DD E93 M (stock suspension)

Last edited by BimmerRookie; 12-30-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Apex. They weight 4lbs + less per wheel and are stronger.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Halitosis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Delivery van

Apex EC-7 is virtually a direct rip-off of the BBS GT4 Motorsport wheel. At least the VMR V710 has subtle enough changes to not be a blatant copy, unlike the Apex EC-7. It's your money but the EC-7 is a replica (if that matters to you) and the VMR is a generic wheel in my opinion.

BBS Motorsport GT4 - German made

Apex EC7 - Taiwan/China produced

VMR V710 - Made somewhere in Asia (not Japan)

Last edited by Halitosis; 12-30-2014 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Ben Ingraham
On-Ramp Speedway Champion
Rep
Drives: 2009 SS E90 M3

Apex. 18" EC7s are my winter set up. I bought them because I need a DD wheel for the winter. Volks for the summer.

Yeah they may look like BBS but for the money they are strong and you won't be shocked trying to replace them. Turner Motorsports uses them.

Depending on where you live, 18" with more tire are better for winter roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

If you are going to do a VMR wheel do the VMR V810s they are as light as the Apex wheels as they are constructed the same way with flow formed technology. I am picking up a set of them in 19X10 and 19X11 this week in ET25 all the way around. I will post up some pics when I get them.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

I'm going with APEX ec7 on my f80. They are TUV and JWL certified. Some 4k+ boutique wheels are not even certified. At least you know you are getting a well engineered product.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
I'm going with APEX ec7 on my f80. They are TUV and JWL certified. Some 4k+ boutique wheels are not even certified. At least you know you are getting a well engineered product.

As is the VMR V810s.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Quote:

As is the VMR V810s.

Dave
Good to know thanks. I'm still more of a fan of the Ec7 design
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

Quote:
Hey man where did you get the gutachen from for TUEV? None of us over here can get them bc they don't have it for APEX. If you have it by some crazy chance, then you just became my best friend bc I have to register on the German side after being over here 6 years in the Spring
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good to know thanks. I'm still more of a fan of the Ec7 design
I actually wanted the Apex wheels, just don't have them in 19X11.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBER ///M3
Quote:
Hey man where did you get the gutachen from for TUEV? None of us over here can get them bc they don't have it for APEX. If you have it by some crazy chance, then you just became my best friend bc I have to register on the German side after being over here 6 years in the Spring
Actually I think I'm wrong they VIA certified to JWL standard. Still Apex wheels are race proven. That's all I need to know.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
UBER ///M3
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Actually I think I'm wrong they VIA certified to JWL standard. Still Apex wheels are race proven. That's all I need to know.
Yes exactly they are race proven 100 percent correct, must of us pass with OEM wheels and then drive on them anyways. Actually most of us at the Nuerburgring run APEX without one issue since ive been over here. Even the lower class race teams run them over here. I may or may not have made my own gutachen for them to be "legal" for the Polizei haha.
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes exactly they are race proven 100 percent correct, must of us pass with OEM wheels and then drive on them anyways. Actually most of us at the Nuerburgring run APEX without one issue since ive been over here. Even the lower class race teams run them over here. I may or may not have made my own gutachen for them to be "legal" for the Polizei haha.
Police actually check that stuff when you get pulled over in Germany?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
UBER ///M3
Germany
Rep

Quote:
HAHA well it depends, in my 6 years I've been checked twice. They are hardcore by the rules here and each and every mode need to have the gutachen aka the paperwork saying the part has been put through the safety tests and proven TUEV safe. Dumb, hell yes I know, but that's the Germans. One time i was checked was at 3 in the morning at a tuning event where races go on bc they were trying to be dicks and yes they will take your car right on the spot, take the parts off, fine you, and charge for removal. Second time was in Austria, but again I was in the military and didn't have to follow these laws. Now I'm out and have to follow. But the most important is that if in an accident and when insurance looks it over you better have paperwork and all in your cars papers of the mods or else they won't cover anything Also you can't even register the vehicle without TUEV to get plates or anything. This is done every 2 years over here, therefore you must have the papers
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #15
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
HAHA well it depends, in my 6 years I've been checked twice. They are hardcore by the rules here and each and every mode need to have the gutachen aka the paperwork saying the part has been put through the safety tests and proven TUEV safe. Dumb, hell yes I know, but that's the Germans. One time i was checked was at 3 in the morning at a tuning event where races go on bc they were trying to be dicks and yes they will take your car right on the spot, take the parts off, fine you, and charge for removal. Second time was in Austria, but again I was in the military and didn't have to follow these laws. Now I'm out and have to follow. But the most important is that if in an accident and when insurance looks it over you better have paperwork and all in your cars papers of the mods or else they won't cover anything Also you can't even register the vehicle without TUEV to get plates or anything. This is done every 2 years over here, therefore you must have the papers
At least Germany has standards. In the US we have to many junk wheel companies. All of them charge 4k+ for complete junk. People are dumb enough to buy them.The companies spend more money on marketing than on engineering
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #16
UBER ///M3
Germany
Rep

Quote:
At least Germany has standards. In the US we have to many junk wheel companies. All of them charge 4k+ for complete junk. People are dumb enough to buy them because they spend more money on marketing than engineering.
You and I share the same thoughts man...along with junk parts that risk safety of the owner and other people on the roads. It's frustrating, but I understand the reasoning behing it
Appreciate 0