BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
binnkim
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Buying a new set of Winter tires? Read on

Hi everyone,
I just want to share my experience of buying a winter boots, in hopes to save you a trouble and for the sake of venting.

I bought a set of "non run-flats", Michelin X-Ice 3 (the first mistake I made) winter from Costco in Toronto. I already had a set of winters but the two rear tires were too worn and getting close to 2/32" depth. Front still had 4-5/32" so I only wanted to get 2 for the rears.

If anyone has any experience with Costco tire centre, you know they work "first come first serve". I dropped my car off at around noon (1st trip to Costco) and they told me a pick up time of 5:30pm. Thankfully I was able to get a ride from my brother so I could be home while waiting. I got a phone call at 5:30pm saying they wouldn't install 2 tires on the rear because I don't have a spare tire. For safety reasons, they are not allowed to install non run-flats without a spare. I still think it's a stupid law as anyone can simply take the spare off but fair enough, laws a law. So I asked and confirmed with the manager that having a spare summer will suffice to install. Since it was close to their closing time, I was asked to come back next morning, then I picked up my car (2nd trip to Costco).

The next day, I went in at 9am (3rd trip to Costco) despite their open time of 10am since I wanted to get it out of my way. I was the second in the line and I had my spare in the trunk.

This time, they wouldn't install just 2 new tires while having a different set for the front due to "safety" reasons. I understand that safety comes first and I follow the same rules but I am not quite sure how having a two different brands of winter tires is of a safety risk. But he's the expert and I'm just an enthusiast so I had to dig deeper into my bank account and bought all 4. I debated of keeping the old tires and see if I can sell it on kijiji or something but I figured it'd be too worn for anyone to spend $30-50 to install only to have to replace again in 1 season, having to pay another installation fee. So I didn't bother.

To remind you, I was the second customer with no ride. I browsed Costco, home depo, best buy, second cup, trying to kill time, but they still didn't call me at 12:30pm. I went in, only to realize my car was ready to be picked up a while ago, with an excuse from the costco personnel that they were about to call me. Really..... Frustrated.

At this point, they asked me to come in after 40 kms to check. Otherwise my warranty is void. I don't understand why there was a no single person who explained me the whole process. It's just a bad customer service. So I went in the next day (4th trip to Costco), waited for 50 minutes and it was finally done.

Morale of the story: Have a spare in your trunk if you want to install non run-flats. Costco has employee training/consistency issue and bad customer service. Despite the fact, winter tire is safer so highly recommend.

Tl;dr: Bought non run-flat winter but Costco wouldn't install without a spare tire in the trunk. Made 4 trips to Costco to finish installation. Costco tire service centre really fails at customer service and lacks consistency in what they tell customers.

Last edited by binnkim; 01-12-2015 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: typos.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Like people that go there.for the cheapest prescriptions ....you. get what you pay for!
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
AForceNinja
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yup, i would rather pay more to not have to deal with all that
      01-13-2015, 01:54 AM   #4
Juan35i
SSG
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2021 BMW M2 Como  [10.00]
Discount Tire, installed non run-flat tires without spare tire in the trunk without an issue, with the best warranty and no coming back after 40kms. Only one trip to the store for installation, since I oredered my tires online. But thanks for sharing, now I know not to deal with Cotsco!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 03:22 AM   #5
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Thanks for sharing OP!
I would have been fuming!
Costco is off my list for tires...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Did they have this "Safety Policy" in writing? If not I would have been standing there until the tires were mounted the first day. Do you have the BMW Mobility kit in the back of the car? You could point at it and tell them that is your spare.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
binnkim
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Did they have this "Safety Policy" in writing? If not I would have been standing there until the tires were mounted the first day. Do you have the BMW Mobility kit in the back of the car? You could point at it and tell them that is your spare.
Since I wanted 'non run-flats', they told me I wouldn't be able to pass the "safety test" (whatever it is) without a spare tire but a owner would remove spare at one's discretion. They also told me it would alleviate any liability on their side, should an accident occur due to/ partly due to tire problem.

I pointed out that I am paying over $100 annually and have TD deluxe auto club for my spare.

Lastly, they can simply refuse to install the tires, which will nullify the warranty. I can still buy the tires and go somewhere else to install, but then I don't get the warranty. Maybe I should've done this.

And as everyone else has said, I guess it's right that you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

I doubt its against the law. I bought non runflat winters from dealership for my MINI which had runflats from factory and got them installed there. They didnt have any concern even I didnt have mobility kit. I bought non runflat winters for my previous 135i from independent tires place no concerns. And I believe most if not all ///M cars are on non runflats and dont come with spare in the trunk they have mobility kit though.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
binnkim
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
I doubt its against the law. I bought non runflat winters from dealership for my MINI which had runflats from factory and got them installed there. They didnt have any concern even I didnt have mobility kit. I bought non runflat winters for my previous 135i from independent tires place no concerns. And I believe most if not all ///M cars are on non runflats and dont come with spare in the trunk they have mobility kit though.
Just hi-jacking my own thread, I used to have 05 MCS and now I have 09 135i. It seems like I'm following your footstep.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

Most michelin tires I have had come with a pretty good tire warranty. If you need a tire replaced or get a flat they will tow you to the nearest michelin dealer for repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Ya, would never buy tires at Costco. They are also a lower quality than what you would buy at a regular tire retailer.

Surprised about the spare tire thing. I know of many cars that do not come with a spare tire OR runflats from the factory. Acura's new TLX is like this, and so are smart cars. WTF are they supposed to do?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
Reapur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Ya, would never buy tires at Costco. They are also a lower quality than what you would buy at a regular tire retailer.

Surprised about the spare tire thing. I know of many cars that do not come with a spare tire OR runflats from the factory. Acura's new TLX is like this, and so are smart cars. WTF are they supposed to do?

Lol what ? If you buy a set of x-ice tires from Costco they're the same you would buy at any other retailer.

Theres also no law stating that they cannot install a regular tire on a vehicle that came with runflats from factory. Rather its a company policy of Costco.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapur View Post
Lol what ? If you buy a set of x-ice tires from Costco they're the same you would buy at any other retailer.
There are different levels of quality checks when manufacturers build tires. The tires that pass all the tests are sold to the car manufacturers, below that are the tires that are sold to the authorized dealers for the tires. If they fail that test and they are least round and black, they are sold to places like Costco and Canadian Tire.

Buy a tire at Costco and try and get any kind of warranty replacement at the authorized tire dealer.

They are cheaper for a reason. Just like everything else in life, you get exactly what you pay for.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 01-14-2015 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
Reapur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
There are different levels of quality checks when manufacturers build tires. The tires that pass all the tests are sold to the car manufacturers, below that are the tires that are sold to the authorized dealers for the tires. If they fail that test and they are least round and black, they are sold to places like Costco and Canadian Tire.

Buy a tire at Costco and try and get any kind of warranty replacement at the authorized tire dealer.

They are cheaper for a reason. Just like everything else in life, you get exactly what you pay for.
Proof please. That doesn't sound legal. Costco has massive buying power.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I know a guy that used to be a manager of a Costco auto center.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #16
Reapur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
I know a guy that used to be a manager of a Costco auto center.
Lmao whatever you say.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #17
RCNBob
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M Sport

The Costco here in Victoria changed their policy on first come first serve and started taking appointments a while ago.

I bought my Michelin PSS there for less than I could have bought them off tire rack and shipped them. I also bought their service package (free rotations, nitrogen inflation, disposal etc), but I didn't install them at Costco because I got 245s up front and was doing the M3 controls arms at the same time to make them fit, and simultaneously, I switched to a set of VMR 710s. Costco was baffled by this. I explained to them that if they could swap my control arms at the same time, and do an alignment, I'd gladly have them install my tires.

Since I bought the service package, that included tire disposal. So after my local shop installed everything for me, I took my stock wheels and tires there to dispose of the tires. Once again, they were completely baffled.

I trust the tires I bought. The staff... perhaps less so.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 03:23 AM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

Totally agree with you MightyMouseTech

I don't know why its so difficult for people to think that tire(or even parts) are of different quality levels. This is the whole reason why the aftermarket industry exists. OE is not OEM quality. Its not just the car parts's packaging that is different! IF Walmart or BestBuy get exclusive products(like say a pc/lap top) THAT LOOK just like from other stores... but in fact are NOT the same... I see no reason why car tires would not have the same "bait and switch" sales tactics.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #19
Reapur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

I don't know why its so difficult for people to think that tire(or even parts) are of different quality levels. This is the whole reason why the aftermarket industry exists. OE is not OEM quality. Its not just the car parts's packaging that is different! IF Walmart or BestBuy get exclusive products(like say a pc/lap top) THAT LOOK just like from other stores... but in fact are NOT the same... I see no reason why car tires would not have the same "bait and switch" sales tactics.

We're talking about the same model number tires. Theres too many legal implications for a tire manufacturer like Michelin to brand a tire with the same specs then sell a lesser quality one at one store then across the street have a higher quality version of the same exact tire sold at a boutique type retailer.

Tires are a serious safety item and highly doubt they would do this. Things like OE and OEM are labeled appropriately so the consumer has a way to differentiate between the two, even if its a bit obscure and the terminology is commonly miss used.

But you can't honestly believe a set of Michelin PSS are shittier from Costco than from Tire Rack.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #20
RCNBob
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Having worked in retail, I can tell you exactly why different stores get products that are identical except for their model numbers. It has nothing to do with different/cheaper parts in them. If you think about the business case for that, it makes no sense whatsoever.

If I'm Hewlett Packard, and I'm building 30,000 laptops, the most economical deal for me to buy/manufacture 30,000 identical parts - that's how I'm going to get the best price on them - economies of scale.

The different model numbers on seemingly identical items exists for one reason only: Price Match Guarantees. Every retail outlet that has a price match guarantee has one that guarantees the best price on that EXACT item. So if Best Buy gets a computer Model ABC-123, but Walmart gets the seemingly identical ABC-122 and sells it for $200 less, Best Buy doesn't have to match squat.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #21
allies_jh
Dr. J
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
I bought some Blizzaks at Costco for my car. I got them online and then dropped off my winter rims for them to install. Took a day or so. No lines, no waiting or anything. That's probably the best way to get'er done!

The only snag I ran into was when the guy who gave me a quote on the tires when I was in the store one day told me that the Blizzaks I wanted weren't good enough for my car because it had a low load index. He recommended this other tire with a load index of 91 where as the ones I wanted had an index of 93. That didn't make any sense so I just left and ordered the tires I wanted online. I was gonna bitch slap him and tell him to shaddup. But I didn't. LOL
      01-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #22
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

The costco near me gave me the same song & dance about upsizing and non-rft's. However I got them to state they'd install the non rft's if I pulled the rims and just brought those in off the car. Discount tire was about the same price, and closer, so I ended up going there instead. No hassle.
Appreciate 0