Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
sampelligrino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: n/a

My M3 coming with Black Performance Kidney Grilles, want to change to chrome OEM

Hey fellas

My incoming M3 was a dealership spec car that fell through the cracks and went unaccounted for in their computer system. Turns out it was spec'd almost the exact way I wanted, and not being one to wait, I pulled the trigger and put my $1k deposit down on it. The one thing that bothers me, which I know others here love, is that the car is coming with the Performance Black Grilles installed. My incoming car is AW/light 19s, and for whatever reason I much prefer the OEM chrome surroundings instead of the black. I know, I must be crazy.

Anyways, I had some questions for the experts, being that this is my first BMW let alone M car.

- Is the Black Performance Kidney Grille and the one that the M3 comes with fresh from the factory the exact same, except that the original one has chrome surrounds, and the black one has the black surrounds? Both look like the actual grille lines are black if that makes sense.

- To restore my M3 back to the OEM chrome state, can I just get chrome surrounds and put them on the kidneys, or do I need to buy a full set of OEM M3 Kidneys?

Any and all input is appreciated as always. Thanks guys - Sammy
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm sure somone on this forum would gladly trade you their stock grills for your black grills.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Hey Sammy. To answer your question as best I can: I got the performance black surround, and I reused my black kidney slats during the installation. The actual slats themselves are black OEM. You should only need the Chrome surround.

If you were more local I would just give you my chrome surrounds as I have no use for them, but shipping them to Hawaii might end up being cost ineffective. Any plans on visiting the NY greater area in the near future? Lol

And to answer your other question, you must be crazy the black ones look way better! Haha everyone is entitled to their own opinion

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Mickey D
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Hey fellas

My incoming M3 was a dealership spec car that fell through the cracks and went unaccounted for in their computer system. Turns out it was spec'd almost the exact way I wanted, and not being one to wait, I pulled the trigger and put my $1k deposit down on it. The one thing that bothers me, which I know others here love, is that the car is coming with the Performance Black Grilles installed. My incoming car is AW/light 19s, and for whatever reason I much prefer the OEM chrome surroundings instead of the black. I know, I must be crazy.

Anyways, I had some questions for the experts, being that this is my first BMW let alone M car.

- Is the Black Performance Kidney Grille and the one that the M3 comes with fresh from the factory the exact same, except that the original one has chrome surrounds, and the black one has the black surrounds? Both look like the actual grille lines are black if that makes sense.

- To restore my M3 back to the OEM chrome state, can I just get chrome surrounds and put them on the kidneys, or do I need to buy a full set of OEM M3 Kidneys?

Pm'd
      01-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
BPe90M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AW e92 M3

ill trade with money on top
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
ohio1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Sedan

To my knowledge, they ALL come with chrome surrounds. Is your dealer getting one from the auction or some other source than "brand new" ?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep
Drives: EVERYTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
Hey fellas

The Black kidney grills are "PIA" or Port Installed accessories. These are ALL black and still have the M3/M4 badge.

If you want the OEM's, you'll have to buy them from parts or like someone else said, trade. Keep in mind, you need to remove the front bumper to change out the grills in the F8x's
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

I agree with OP, since the headlights touch the grille chrome is much better looking than tacky black.
Appreciate 0