ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: How many of you have alarm systems?
Bought it from the dealer and had them install it 17 22.67%
Bought it elsewhere and installed it myself 16 21.33%
NO ALARM! 42 56.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

01-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

How many of you installed the alarms?

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting the alarm and was just wondering how many of you got the dealer to do it, did it themselves or didn't do it all.

Any information regarding the alarm system is much appreciated.

Trying to get my facts but the dealership wanted 800!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

I don't think anything's changed since this came out: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/6115EN.pdf
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

I have a write-up with pics on my website, pretty easy and then the dealer has to perform retrofit coding for it to function. I bought mine from Tischer and it is installed but I have not made it to the dealer yet for retrofit coding- confirmation beep on lock/unlock but no alarm function until dealer coding/activation.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

What's the purpose of an aftermarket alarm? Since OBDII ECU's came out they have immobilizer programming installed on them. An even those have developed well beyond the original version. If a criminal can bypass that, they're definately able to bypass any aftermarket alarm.
      01-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

how much was the alarm from tischer and how long did it take you to install yourself?

i am so scared to mess around with the car...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 561design View Post
What's the purpose of an aftermarket alarm? Since OBDII ECU's came out they have immobilizer programming installed on them. An even those have developed well beyond the original version. If a criminal can bypass that, they're definately able to bypass any aftermarket alarm.
i dont' want an aftermarket alarm. but i want to do it cheaper then the 800 that the stealership wants...bastids
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
scottmcke
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2004 Z4 3.0i  [7.00]
I bought the BMW alarm with prox sensor (wanted a little extra protection if I leave the top down). I did not pay $800, closer to $600. It took them six hours to install. My car was prewired for the alarm, but it was missing a harness and they had to make one.

I agree that the engine kill thing that comes standard is really hard to disable. I also wanted an alarm to have the red light flash and the lights/chirp when I activate the alarm. Also, with the alarm the doors are deadbolted upon activation. If you don't have the alarm, you have to manually lock the door twice with the key to enable the dead bolts. They key fob will not do this, unless you have the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Tischer's parts/accessories website is: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...72&catalogid=0
You can browse the Z4 accessories in the protection section to find the alarms or enter the part numbers.

The roadster alarm includes an interior motion detector and is priced a little higher than the coupe alarm without. I think the coupe alarm for my car was around $100 (P/N 65730302424) and it took about a half hour to install. The pics on my website show the steps involved if you wanted to establish a comfort level, it is truly a plug and play installation.

As to why would I install an alarm, it is just one more reason for a thief to NOT pick my car. Usually path of least resistance is the route taken and if my car makes noise and yours is quiet I would think the choice is obvious
The bottom line is regardless what we do, if someone wants your car they will take it by whatever means necessary (tow truck, etc).

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i, 03 MB E55 AMG

From what i've seen its pretty easy to install, but you will need dealer to activate. I considered it when i first purchased my Z4, but i've never had any problems with my vehicles (knock on wood), and they are garaged at home and work so i didn't think it was necessary. I dont think its easy to steal the vehicle, but the alarm may prevent a break-in...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
Rep

One more thing, the alarm does not add any more protection as far as the car being stolen it only makes noise. You can have the dealer activate the alarm without the alarm being installed and have the same result as having the alarm which is the red light flashing at the bottom of the rear view mirror...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcke View Post
I bought the BMW alarm with prox sensor (wanted a little extra protection if I leave the top down). I did not pay $800, closer to $600. It took them six hours to install. My car was prewired for the alarm, but it was missing a harness and they had to make one.

I agree that the engine kill thing that comes standard is really hard to disable. I also wanted an alarm to have the red light flash and the lights/chirp when I activate the alarm. Also, with the alarm the doors are deadbolted upon activation. If you don't have the alarm, you have to manually lock the door twice with the key to enable the dead bolts. They key fob will not do this, unless you have the alarm.
You've obviously never had your car stolen or broken in to. The lock cylinders are a joke as they can be pried out and unlocked with the twist of a screw driver. (This is exactly what happened to two of my cars).
They usually steal the contents of the car and not the car itself. When it comes to stealing the actual car, its most common that they tow it away. Your immobilizer becomes a moot point as chances are, your car is stolen and chopped for parts.

I went with Compustar as my car has shock sensors and sensors on every door. It also has level sensors. As soon as someone tries to tow it or tries to open your hood or trunk, the alarm will go off. And of course if I'm within range, I'll be notified. Although some new alarms now go as far as GPS tracking and cell phone notification.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEFOUR View Post
One more thing, the alarm does not add any more protection as far as the car being stolen it only makes noise. You can have the dealer activate the alarm without the alarm being installed and have the same result as having the alarm which is the red light flashing at the bottom of the rear view mirror...
You mean you can have the red light flash without an alarm. You can't have the alarm activated without it ever being installed...

pbdm4k, what do you have in your car that is so valuable?!? The only reason I had an alarm with motion sensors and a pager was because I had a $10,000+ entertainment system in it.

Personally I think the red flashing light is enough to keep someone from trying.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You mean you can have the red light flash without an alarm. You can't have the alarm activated without it ever being installed...
Actually, yeah - if you've got the red light flashing, you've told the system you've got an alarm installed and it acts accordingly, even if you don't. If that option is already enabled before you install the alarm, you don't have to go in for the activation when you add it- it will start working out of the box, since your car thought it was there all along.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #14
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

pbdm4k, what do you have in your car that is so valuable?!? The only reason I had an alarm with motion sensors and a pager was because I had a $10,000+ entertainment system in it.

Personally I think the red flashing light is enough to keep someone from trying.
The car itself is worth 39k as the price I paid for the damn thing. Performance parts alone pushes that up to 46k. Just protecting my losing investment.

But the kicker for me was before I had the Z4, I drove a TT and a Jetta. They both got broken into and the only thing they stole was a 6 pack of Pepsi. They didn't even bother with the sound system in the Jetta...

So $3 in pop stolen and $1000 in repairs for broken locks. Since then, Compustar protects my Jetta and the TT was traded in for the Z4, which religiously gets parked indoors every night and has compustar to protect it.

It's really piece of mind. I pay the 600 for the alarm now, so i dont have to pay 500 for a lock cylinder later.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #15
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
The car itself is worth 39k as the price I paid for the damn thing. Performance parts alone pushes that up to 46k. Just protecting my losing investment.

But the kicker for me was before I had the Z4, I drove a TT and a Jetta. They both got broken into and the only thing they stole was a 6 pack of Pepsi. They didn't even bother with the sound system in the Jetta...

So $3 in pop stolen and $1000 in repairs for broken locks. Since then, Compustar protects my Jetta and the TT was traded in for the Z4, which religiously gets parked indoors every night and has compustar to protect it.

It's really piece of mind. I pay the 600 for the alarm now, so i dont have to pay 500 for a lock cylinder later.

You may want to consider a vehicle tracking device such as LO-Jack, you will stand a very good chance of recovering your vehicle if its towed away...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Hmmm, must be the one good thing about living in Iowa. I park my bike and BMW in a garage everynight but my mustang I leave out with both doors unlocked (have for the last couple years) and it has never been 'broken' into.

Although, I wake up every morning expecting some homeless person to be sleeping in the back seat because of the below zero temperatures, it has never happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #17
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, must be the one good thing about living in Iowa. I park my bike and BMW in a garage everynight but my mustang I leave out with both doors unlocked (have for the last couple years) and it has never been 'broken' into.

Although, I wake up every morning expecting some homeless person to be sleeping in the back seat because of the below zero temperatures, it has never happened.
Yeah, I'm still a young guy living in my parent's house. So we have 5 cars and 2 garage spots. I'm already happy that they're letting me have a garage spot for the Z4. :P

Just not a very big fan of having my car broken into for a 6 pack of pepsi and even more valuable stuff left intact.

I'd be even more scared of leaving the Z4 outside for the fear of someone slashing the roof to break in.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'd be even more scared of leaving the Z4 outside for the fear of someone slashing the roof to break in.
Just another reason Coupes are better I kid, I kid.

I have only one garage spot cause I still live in an apartment so I know how you feel. I am more worried about the other people living nearby being jealous and keying me though. Nothing an alarm would help with
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #19
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Just another reason Coupes are better I kid, I kid.

I have only one garage spot cause I still live in an apartment so I know how you feel. I am more worried about the other people living nearby being jealous and keying me though. Nothing an alarm would help with

They don't have to worry about slashing roofs when it comes to coupes, that is what they make window bricks for. Faster than cutting roofs anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #20
albailey
Rep
Drives: '03 3.0 Z4

Quote:
Yeah, I'm still a young guy living in my parent's house. So we have 5 cars and 2 garage spots. I'm already happy that they're letting me have a garage spot for the Z4. :P
40k car +mods and you're, uhm, still living at home? you don't need an alarm - just get your mom to watch it for ya!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:

How does your compustar really protect your car? Even if you had it on your TT and Jetta, they still would've caused the same damage. Even if they don't break your locks, they'll just smash your window (which is what usually happens).

I think car alarms (the ones that just make noise) are pretty useless for preventing car theft. If someone really wants to steal your car, they will do it. They don't stop people from the 'ol smash and grab though, which is more common.

Car alarms have been shown not to reduce thefts, but instead cause alot of noise pollution due to false alarms. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that they are actually illegal in some U.S. states including New York.

I thought about getting a Lo-Jack type of system (In Canada we have 'Boomerang'), but they're quite expensive with the installation & monthly fees. On top of that, if your car is stolen & recovered, it will always be on the car's record and reduce your resale value considerably. I think that type of system is therefore only good for very expensive cars, or cars that are rare or have sentimental value.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #22
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Actually, yeah - if you've got the red light flashing, you've told the system you've got an alarm installed and it acts accordingly, even if you don't. If that option is already enabled before you install the alarm, you don't have to go in for the activation when you add it- it will start working out of the box, since your car thought it was there all along.
Often refered to as the "clown nose", I had it activated on my last 3 BMW's w/o adding alarms. I like the added deterrence. There are some that beleive throwing that internal fault everytime the computer goes looking for an alarm that is not there can cause problems. However, I had my E46 sedan for 4yrs, E46 M3 for 3yrs and never had a problem. If you can find a cool service guy who is willing to do it, go for it!