BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Performance suspension + Non RFT

Anybody have this setup? how does it ride? Looking at this specific setup with the super sport tires. I hear when you go non RFT on stock m-sport / sport suspension car feels really funny, does anyone experience this with performance susp?
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
From what I heard - great.
The Perf shocks are well done

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

I'm pretty new to this exact setup, but I do have some input on it anyway. The stock car on RFTs actually made me physically dizzy from driving on our local roads, which are not well taken care of on the grand scale. It was stiff, but in a bad way. I switched to Non-RFTs last year and the ride quality increase was large due to the softer sidewalls, but the performance increase was still less than expected. I believe this was due to the fact that the stock suspension was designed with RFTs in mind, so it was pretty soft by sports car standards and the rear end was very loose. Just a few days ago I got the M RSFB bushings installed, along with a new set of Michelin PSS tires, and it is clear that the suspension can now handle the power the car has. No more sidekick on launch, and no more snake on straight pulls.

I had the bushings installed at a local performance shop, and they actually called me saying that they didn't think the work would be worth it, since the M bushings are rubber, same as stock, but I wanted them installed anyways. After the install they said they could clearly see the reason for the upgrade, the stock bushings were mostly empty space, the M bushings were much more hardy by comparison. So that's the main difference really, the stock bushings are not rated for Non-RFTs or really for the power the car can generate in general. You can compress them with your thumbs, that's probably not good?

Long story short, I spent the day trolling around town with a friend of mine who has a lot of experience with sports cars and has an obvious lean toward "American Muscle" styled vehicles, but both of us were very impressed with the performance, both in handling and power.

Last edited by BMW135pls; 03-29-2015 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I have used the performance suspension on my car. I think its a really good improvement over the factory suspension. It is firmer - more like you would expect in a performance car. It will trade off some ride quality when you drive on rough roads, but still very reasonable in most situations. I recommend changing the tires to conventional performance / sport tires. The tires themselves won't cause any problem if you choose good ones and keep the pressure up a bit to 36PSI - 38PSI front and rear.

The performance suspension is not a perfect solution for all issues with 1 series handling. 1) There is still some weirdness with the loose feeling in the rear of the car. You need to get upgrade rear sub-frame bushings to solve that. 2) The car still a little bit too much body roll - my opinion. 3) The steering is still a bit soft and lacking feel and responsiveness.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
I have used the performance suspension on my car. I think its a really good improvement over the factory suspension. It is firmer - more like you would expect in a performance car. It will trade off some ride quality when you drive on rough roads, but still very reasonable in most situations. I recommend changing the tires to conventional performance / sport tires. The tires themselves won't cause any problem if you choose good ones and keep the pressure up a bit to 36PSI - 38PSI front and rear.

The performance suspension is not a perfect solution for all issues with 1 series handling. 1) There is still some weirdness with the loose feeling in the rear of the car. You need to get upgrade rear sub-frame bushings to solve that. 2) The car still a little bit too much body roll - my opinion. 3) The steering is still a bit soft and lacking feel and responsiveness.
The M sway bars would probably be the fix for no. 2/3 right? Or at least I think it'll help, maybe 2 moreso than 3 though. 3 might require the M control arms and a bit more aggressive alignment? I don't know the exact solutions, being that I'm still pretty new to this. You are right though, the M RSFB absolutely solve the issue of the wobbly back end.
      03-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
The M sway bars would probably be the fix for no. 2/3 right? Or at least I think it'll help, maybe 2 moreso than 3 though. 3 might require the M control arms and a bit more aggressive alignment? I don't know the exact solutions, being that I'm still pretty new to this. You are right though, the M RSFB absolutely solve the issue of the wobbly back end.
Unfortunately the RSFB is an expensive job if you get the M3 ones put in by a shop. Next to upgrading dampers, I think its one of the best mods you can do, no matter whether you decide on genuine M3 bushings, or other aftermarket options. It simply makes the rear of the car track more predictably even in daily driving situations.

If you want responsive steering you will appreciate the M3 front arms too. It can make sense to have them put in if you are replacing the front struts as there isn't much additional labour. The arms work because they eliminate the soft (fluid filled) front bushings that are used to absorb the harshness of the RFT tires. The extra camber gained with these arms also makes a big change to the steering response.

The front M3 front sway bar is really up to your preference. It works well together with the M3 front arms in a road car situation. However, the performance suspension kit includes an upgraded sway bar, so you should probably try that first.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
I'm considering RSFB what should I expect to pay for the install at an Indy?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135iMike View Post
I'm considering RSFB what should I expect to pay for the install at an Indy?
About 6-7 hours is estimated.