Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

04-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 - 14 M5

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Smart Tint

Does anyone have any experience with the Smart Glass switch tinting? The idea is awesome, seeing that in New Jersey dark tints are illegal and cops love to hassle you for them. With this tint I could simply flick a switch a be innocent

Any feed back and or experience would be much appreciated.

Also if anyone knows of a different switchable tint company that would be awesome
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:30 AM   #2
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

So I have been following this for about 8 years or so. Originally this was for office windows for privacy. Smart Tint gives you 98% clarity unlike regular tint of quality which gives you 99.5%+. there is a difference. Also, it seems the technology hasn't moved forward at all in 10 years. It still is white. it is either 98% clear, white, or somewhere in between.

also, the film has a slightly milkly look to it. So if that is your thing, cool but if you are expecting blacks etc. this isn't for you. Also, and I don't know anyone who has actually installed it (just got the example packs), this stuff is spendy. Normally to tint a 4 door 3 series as an example is about $200 with 1 piece back, and quality tint. This stuff is at least $70 a square foot plus the electrical pieces. Electrical is 110 (seen some reports it is low voltage now) and requires an inverter which isn't a big deal but this was made for 110v in offices, not cars.

So I don't know how much square footage a car is but I'd guess a 4d would be 12-15sq feet. I'd think you'd be at $1k for a pro install. I could be way off.

For me if it was 99%+ clear and black (like truly, not just a light tint with the smart tint), I'd think about it. But from what I understand of the technology, that would be impossible.

If you find something different let me know. Some of the videos can be deceiving.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
eff 80
Private
Rep
Drives: MW/SS F80

I had a friend go to Macau to try and start a company to develop this very same technology and make advancements for widespread auto industry use.

They couldn't get it to the color they wanted and couldn't find a way to make it cheap enough to replace conventional tinting. Eventually they stopped developing it.
Appreciate 0