ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
zedmaster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

Z4 as a first car?

Hey guys,

I've recently come across this site/forum in the midst of my car-search quest.
I shall defer to your expertise and greatness in this troubling matter

I got my license last year (almost exactly a year now), I've finished all my college apps & whatnot, and I had a question.

I've been prowling sites like cars.com and I've found that 2004-2005 BMW Z4
2.5's come for pretty cheap (around 18K?). Is this a good first car (I'm currently driving my dad's old, ready-to-die SUV that gets like 10 mpg [I measured!])?

I'd really appreciate any input you guys could contribute...

NOTE: I've fallen in love with this car, but I do realize that it will be fiscally irresponsible for me to get an ///M of any kind. Also, college: how wise is it to bring a Zed onto any college campus (even an Ivy League)? Finally, Insurance and reliability. Arm and a leg every time?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedmaster View Post
Hey guys,

Also, college: how wise is it to bring a Zed onto any college campus (even an Ivy League)? Finally, Insurance and reliability. Arm and a leg every time?

Thoughts?
When I was in grad school at one of those aforementioned Ivy League campuses you could immediately tell the grad dorms from the undergrad by the parking lots. I still remember drooling over the miscellaneous Vettes, Mercedes and Ferraris in the UG lots (including an original Dino that would sit outside all day in the freshman lot - made me want to cry). Thrashed Datsuns, Ford Fiestas and gems from AMC were more the norm amongst us grads. Anyway, the short answer is that if you're gonna go to school with the rich kids your Z4 won't stand out and be at any particular risk.

That said, if I were about to go to school and load up on student loans to survive I probably wouldn't be coughing up ~$20K on a newish ride. First time away from home in school all sorts of unexpected expenses crop up and it's probably best not to stretch your resources too much on a car. If you have abundant cash, however, knock yourself out.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

^^ i think his dad would be buying it for him.

i think a Z4 is a great car but i dont think for a 17 year old. Although the 2.5 is underpowerd its very small and nimble. I dont see a point of getting a car when you go off to college the next year but if your dad is willing to do it then id say go for it. At least you will have something to look forward to when you come home. And i would never recommend taking a car to college (especially a BMW). SHIT HAPPENS
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

the zed four is my first car.

just make sure you still have warranty.

vachss: "Anyway, the short answer is that if you're gonna go to school with the rich kids your Z4 won't stand out and be at any particular risk."

What do you mean risks?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
zedmaster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
^^ i think his dad would be buying it for him.

i think a Z4 is a great car but i dont think for a 17 year old. Although the 2.5 is underpowerd its very small and nimble. I dont see a point of getting a car when you go off to college the next year but if your dad is willing to do it then id say go for it. At least you will have something to look forward to when you come home. And i would never recommend taking a car to college (especially a BMW). SHIT HAPPENS
Ummm - excuse me. Sorry if I didn't make this clear. I've earned, I've saved, I've scrimped. I'm buying this car. My dad has nothing to do with it - all he's letting me do is trade in the SUV to take some of the money off.

How is insurance on this car, being a roadster?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by soeharyo View Post
What do you mean risks?
He means inconsiderate, selfish, young, spoiled, often drunk people damaging your car, just for the hell of it. I saw plenty of that in college, and it was 20 years ago. If I were doing it again, I'd want some dinged-up beater I didn't care about for use on campus - otherwise there's heartbreak coming.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
He means inconsiderate, selfish, young, spoiled, often drunk people damaging your car, just for the hell of it. I saw plenty of that in college, and it was 20 years ago. If I were doing it again, I'd want some dinged-up beater I didn't care about for use on campus - otherwise there's heartbreak coming.
I agree...

i am in college and the major risk for me would be costs and being frowned upon (for being spoiled). I don't worry as much about people damaging my car because though I don't have a garage, i park under my apartment and not too many people frequent that area...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Garage List
I pay around $425/6 months on my 07 z4 coupe 3.0si. I had expected to pay much more given that it is a 2 seat sport coupe, but it only costs 50 more than what I pay on our other car which is a honda CRV. But I am married and >25 yrs old. Your still a teenager and with only one year of driving histoy so it could get real expensive.

TIP: Call your current insurance agent and ask them for a price quote which they can give you in <5 minutes over the phone since they already have all your info!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I've had 5+ years driving experience and I pay ~$2400CDN a year on insurance. (slightly over 200 a month). I'm expecting a decrease middle of this year as I'm finally hitting the 25 mark. (Oh gawd.. I already have the mid life crisis car... I'm so gonna be dead by 50).

But all things considered, insurance on this car is a lot better than say, owning a civic or a wrx. Statistics... Young careless people don't normally drive these cars. But at your age, I don't think its going to be cheap.

But as previously mentioned, make sure you can afford the car and don't put your education at risk for a set of wheels. School is bloody hell a$$ expensive.

And hate to say it, but I don't drive my Z to certain neighbourhoods around town. Bad things seem to happen more frequently in some places.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I am 23 an right out of college, I pay $115 a month for insurance on a 2007 si coupe.

I would not ever take this car to college unless you had a garage for it. Personally I would get something cheaper and reliable and then when you graduate you will appreciate the car a lot more.

Coming from a '91 Mustang (93 HP) to a '02 Civic (127 HP) to my Zed (255 HP) it really made me appreciate it
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Zedmaster, don't pay attention to those here that tell you your car is underpowered. How much power does it take to drive the speed limit. You are not buying it for a race car. Don't pay attention to those that tell you a roadster will get its top cut just for spite. Coupes get their doors, hoods, fenders, kicked in as often as tops get cut. Windows get bricked as easy as tops get cut. It is a more than likely risk your car will be vandalized. It can all be fixed or you can just drive it dinged up. Young college kids like to drink, yell and tear stuff up. Beater or Zed, your choice, you will have to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
Zedmaster, don't pay attention to those here that tell you your car is underpowered. How much power does it take to drive the speed limit. You are not buying it for a race car. Don't pay attention to those that tell you a roadster will get its top cut just for spite. Coupes get their doors, hoods, fenders, kicked in as often as tops get cut. Windows get bricked as easy as tops get cut. It is a more than likely risk your car will be vandalized. It can all be fixed or you can just drive it dinged up. Young college kids like to drink, yell and tear stuff up. Beater or Zed, your choice, you will have to live with it.
+1 If you want underpowered try driving my 93 HP mustang

When I was at college I kept my car clean all the time (I had an '02 civic) and it got spit on and dinged a few times. If you are a car person it doesn't matter what you drive, you still get mad.

The cost of fixing it is all that really differs.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

When I was at college I kept my car clean all the time (I had an '02 civic) and it got spit on and dinged a few times. If you are a car person it doesn't matter what you drive, you still get mad.

And fixing bimmers ain't cheap!

Cost of my oil changes is $80CDN with my own labour.

$20 Filter from BMW (already with 10% discount)
$40 Castrol Syntec 5w30 from Costco (6L)
$20 LucasOil Synthetic Oil Stabilizer (1L)

Although Filters should be cheaper now as I bought 10 off ebay for $40.

Now imagine getting your door kicked in or your roof slashed...
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
Traxxer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4

As far as insurance it all depends on where you live and if you plan to get full coverage. If you're going to finance your car it means full coverage for you which means at least 2.5k a year in Los Angeles. Before you get the car I'd highly recommend you to call a few insurance companies to get quotes first.

Some other costs to consider would be high cost maintenance, and premium gas.

If money isn't an issue for you though then I'd say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 05:15 AM   #15
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

Amen to that. My most thrilling experiences have been to come back to my car and find bent sheet metal, key pin stripes or cut tops. I wish BMW would do a hard top drop top for the Z. This Z is my 7th rag top.

Last edited by rc'Z; 02-14-2008 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #16
EdmM3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 635CSi, Z4, 330xi, 530i, E90M3

Why do you use an oil stabilizer? I've never had this been recommended by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #17
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorne@eba.ca View Post
Why do you use an oil stabilizer? I've never had this been recommended by BMW.
Track abuse during the summer, and months of storage during the winter.

Gives me peace of mind.

Summer months is revving hard, winter its just sitting there. The oil stabiliser ensures that the top of the engine stays coated so it isn't dry rubbing when I fire her up after a few months.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #18
Lee33919
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0, Dinan 3

Like it or not, anonymous abuse of a perceivably "nice" car by college students and college town residents is a sad but real fact of life today.

I'm 45+ years removed from campus, but remember the keying and rear window punch ins that my roomates MGA 1600 suffered, and if you're a "car person" at all, it really hurts as well as being a PITA to repair. If I were doing it all over again myself, I'd tastefully low profile my campus ride.

On the other hand, living in an adult environment like Naples, FL, I no longer have any such worries, and last weekend took a phone pic of my Z4 parked next to a Porsche turbo, next to an Aston Martin next to a MB500 next to a red Bentley. All of these cars had left their tops down while they were in shopping at the local Wynn's market, but this is by far the exception. (nice town though)

Some people don't like what they don't have, a sad human commentary but a true one, particularly in an often alcohol charged environment like a college campus.
Appreciate 0