BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Talking Post one truthful OCD thing about you and your M3, I will start (and it's a good one)

I have not driven my M3 on the highway since I bought her:

Yep, is true - I bought my 2012 ZHP M3 in late October 2013 it had about 9,000 miles on her (car was too much car for previous owner) it was a bit of unicorn, had low mileage and delivered new June 2012. The car was a big deal for me to get, wanted one forever. I drove it home from dealer on the freeway, and it was so awesome - then got it home and I have not driven on freeway since then. I still have not located a place to get a good clear film applied. I have forgotten what it is like to drive really fast or overtake other cars - please tell me what's it like to drive on them freeways ?

Since I got the car I have put about 11,000 miles on it. I have always been an engineer in hardware one way or another and my last job place was 45 min. away and I could always take side streets to get there.

And now the annoying part, I have totally stopped driving her since February 2 of this year. I took a new job for a really great company based in Bay Area but have satellite office in Portland, and they went out of there way to seek an old, creepy, broken down industrial area for the satellite office - imagine setting up cubes in a deserted warehouse. It's not quite that bad, way too hipster for me for sure. Roads are super bad, I mean you would bend a rim easily, since most of the roads are old cobblestone or poorly maintained with giant potholes you'd fall into. Parking is a joke too - I spent almost 2 months walking around to possible paid parking areas that might be safe or even parking on the other side of the river....I mean I really tried to find somewhere I could park and somehow avoid bad roads.

So - the only way I can drive her is to get up really early (which I do) and then drive to a Starbucks about 30 minutes away. But since February 2 I have only filled the tank (3) times, so I don't drive her a lot.

Cheers,

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Man, this thread is like true confessions...

If the lack of a clear bra is changing the way you drive, it seems you need to make getting that done a higher priority? BTW, I have picked up stone chips while driving on side roads... of course following distance is a major factor (and side roads have a lot more opportunity for rocks to get out onto them).
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I won't drive mine in the rain. I know it's dumb but I can't stand the idea of getting my aftermarket suspension and brake parts wet and dirty. :
Appreciate 3
      07-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]

what's your OCD habit with your M3? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108526
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I always roll down the window(s) after start up to hear the engine and exhaust sing.
      07-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Joe S
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

I never park between two cars. If I have to, near one car only with lots of room in between!
      07-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Freaks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I downshift like crazy cause it sounds awesome.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 2
Merlin_83473.50
      07-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

After i pull into the garage i like to get out, check the clearance from the back of the car to the garage door, then press the garage door button and race back to watch it close. Sigh.

I also compulsively check to see if i put the car in gear and pulled up the handbrake no matter where i park.
Merlin_83473.50
      07-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I drive with my windows down 90% of the time and when I do if they're not all the way Down or all the way up they have to be open/close the same level on both side well I try to get em as close as possible! Lol I don't move till they're as even as I can get em!
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #11
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

but Ill play. Here is a few:

1. I never move my car or give it any gas until the cold start kicks off on a first start after a few hours of sitting.

2. I never take it passed 3500 rpms until the variable tach is all the way up, and the temp is somewhere near where it normally sits.

3. Temperature has to be the same on both sides, windows have to be all the way up or all the way down when I am driving around, seats have to be in the exact same position at all times, vents all have to be perfectly aimed to their respective seating positions (same in the back), etc.

4. I park my car in the garage EVERY NIGHT, and it's a huge hassle. I won't leave it outside. Parking involves backing in at an angle, cutting the wheel hard inside the garage, pulling forward and backing up a couple times to line up perfectly, then SLOWLY backing up over a wheel guide which tells me when to stop, at which point there is about an inch between the wall and back bumper, and an inch between the front bumper and garage door. I do this everyday when I am done driving the car (on the days I am forced to drive it). Then I have to get out, make sure I am parked in the right position for the door to close. If not, I have to adjust it (this happens once every week or so).

5. I won't drive the car in the rain if I can avoid it, especially after a wash. I typically look for any excuse to avoid driving the car. This will be much easier when I get my third car to commute with in a couple months. Then it will truly be my garage queen.

6. No one drives my car but me, and though I sometimes can't help it, and have broken this rule far too often which has put wrinkles in them, NO ONE rides in the back seat. Not even my 15 month old son. Hell, I rarely let anyone in the passenger seat

7. Wallet comes out of my pocket when I get in the car, and goes in the center console. This is to protect the seats from damage, and because I have to go through a gate where I show my ID every morning, and it's a PITA, not to mention puts unnecessary stress on the leather if I have to bend to get my wallet out of my back pocket while driving.

8. Car gets a full wash/light detail every weekend (if I have to skip a weekend, which is rare, it almost NEVER goes more than two weeks). This takes about 2 hours to do, and includes everything from a full hand wash/drying with a waffle towel, to cleaning the wheels/putting on tire dressing, vacuuming the interior, using interior cleaner/dressing on the interior vinyl/plastic, and cleaning under the hood. Every 2nd or 3rd wash I clean/condition the leather with Meguiar's. When I start driving the car less, it will remain covered in the garage with a car cover, and will need to be washed less (probably once a month). For now, I just can't stand a dirty car.

9. I park as far away from people as I can. Parking in a busy lot is a chore for me, because I won't park near anyone. I systematically choose my spot, and how/where I park is dependent on the situation. It's never the same.

10. I won't leave a foreign item in my car once I park it (especially if I am putting it away overnight). No change in the ashtray, nothing in the trunk, etc. The only things I have in the car unless I am driving it, are my owners manual, my registration/insurance card, my ipod (which stays plugged in), and that's it.

11. No food or drink in my car, whatsoever. Bottled water with a cap only. Occasionally I will have a Starbucks in my car, but it gets a napkin wrapped around it before it goes in the cup holder so it's not getting condensation everywhere.

That's it from me. Call me crazy, and you say "it's just a car", but these are some OCD habits I've picked up since I took ownership in November.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 07-14-2015 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
Merlin_83473.50
      07-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #12
Jsantos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 SSII 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Parking analysis

Park beside a comparable car. Decreases the chance of scratches because i know they also care about their car.

At work, I park in between cars i know who will still be at work by the time i leave.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 12:20 AM   #13
jjzheng115
Just Another Car Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 e92 X6M F86

I have my cup holders always pushed in unless there is a drink in them.

I do not push my car at all until the cold start is off and everything in my car is warmed up.

TE37SL Black Edition, Akrapovic GT4 Titanium Exhaust, BPM Stage-II, Exotics Tuning CF Lip & Side Skirts, BMW Performance Spoiler, Macht-Schnell pulleys, wheel spacers, stage 2 intake, JRZ RS Two Coilovers, LUX V5 Adjustable Angel Eyes
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 12:45 AM   #14
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

my radio rarely gets turned on (i do love music, however) because i'd rather hear the motor when i'm driving.
Appreciate 1
Merlin_83473.50
      07-15-2015, 01:21 AM   #15
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

I need to calm myself with herbal remedies at the end of the day due to the depression caused from the amount of money I spent in mods on my lovely M. I then feel guilty for being mad at the car and tell it "goodnight" each evening

Jk but spending it's getting out of control
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:35 AM   #16
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
but Ill play. Here is a few:

1. I never move my car or give it any gas until the cold start kicks off on a first start after a few hours of sitting.

2. I never take it passed 3500 rpms until the variable tach is all the way up, and the temp is somewhere near where it normally sits.

3. Temperature has to be the same on both sides, windows have to be all the way up or all the way down when I am driving around, seats have to be in the exact same position at all times, vents all have to be perfectly aimed to their respective seating positions (same in the back), etc.

4. I park my car in the garage EVERY NIGHT, and it's a huge hassle. I won't leave it outside. Parking involves backing in at an angle, cutting the wheel hard inside the garage, pulling forward and backing up a couple times to line up perfectly, then SLOWLY backing up over a wheel guide which tells me when to stop, at which point there is about an inch between the wall and back bumper, and an inch between the front bumper and garage door. I do this everyday when I am done driving the car (on the days I am forced to drive it). Then I have to get out, make sure I am parked in the right position for the door to close. If not, I have to adjust it (this happens once every week or so).

5. I won't drive the car in the rain if I can avoid it, especially after a wash. I typically look for any excuse to avoid driving the car. This will be much easier when I get my third car to commute with in a couple months. Then it will truly be my garage queen.

6. No one drives my car but me, and though I sometimes can't help it, and have broken this rule far too often which has put wrinkles in them, NO ONE rides in the back seat. Not even my 15 month old son. Hell, I rarely let anyone in the passenger seat

7. Wallet comes out of my pocket when I get in the car, and goes in the center console. This is to protect the seats from damage, and because I have to go through a gate where I show my ID every morning, and it's a PITA, not to mention puts unnecessary stress on the leather if I have to bend to get my wallet out of my back pocket while driving.

8. Car gets a full wash/light detail every weekend (if I have to skip a weekend, which is rare, it almost NEVER goes more than two weeks). This takes about 2 hours to do, and includes everything from a full hand wash/drying with a waffle towel, to cleaning the wheels/putting on tire dressing, vacuuming the interior, using interior cleaner/dressing on the interior vinyl/plastic, and cleaning under the hood. Every 2nd or 3rd wash I clean/condition the leather with Meguiar's. When I start driving the car less, it will remain covered in the garage with a car cover, and will need to be washed less (probably once a month). For now, I just can't stand a dirty car.

9. I park as far away from people as I can. Parking in a busy lot is a chore for me, because I won't park near anyone. I systematically choose my spot, and how/where I park is dependent on the situation. It's never the same.

10. I won't leave a foreign item in my car once I park it (especially if I am putting it away overnight). No change in the ashtray, nothing in the trunk, etc. The only things I have in the car unless I am driving it, are my owners manual, my registration/insurance card, my ipod (which stays plugged in), and that's it.

11. No food or drink in my car, whatsoever. Bottled water with a cap only. Occasionally I will have a Starbucks in my car, but it gets a napkin wrapped around it before it goes in the cup holder so it's not getting condensation everywhere.

That's it from me. Call me crazy, and you say "it's just a car", but these are some OCD habits I've picked up since I took ownership in November.
Dude this is me to a T. Right down to the color choice.
      07-15-2015, 05:30 AM   #17
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Hmmm...whats the opposite of OCD?
I drive in all weathers including snow.
Wash the car pretty much only when I can't no longer see the rear number plate.
Drive every road surfaces no matter how bad the condition.
Have as many passengers as can fit in when required.
Never cleaned the interior except for a vac at the dealer.
Have food and drinks in the car whenever.

It looked like this for quite a while!

Appreciate 2
      07-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #18
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Hmmm...whats the opposite of OCD?
I drive in all weathers including snow.
Wash the car pretty much only when I can't no longer see the rear number plate.
Drive every road surfaces no matter how bad the condition.
Have as many passengers as can fit in when required.
Never cleaned the interior except for a vac at the dealer.
Have food and drinks in the car whenever.

It looked like this for quite a while!

Dude you need help.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #19
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzheng115 View Post
I have my cup holders always pushed in unless there is a drink in them. .
I do the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #20
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

I have a lot more...

I can't stand having passengers in the back seat. I once took the back seats out just so I wouldn't have to accommodate rear passengers. I blamed the track.

If I do have rear passengers, the front seat has to be pushed back into position after they get out.

When I park the front wheels need to be straight. My wife parks with the wheels turned and it drives me nuts.

I always push the driver seat all the way back when exiting as to not damage the side bolsters.

After the track the car has to be fully washed and all rubber marring removed the next day at the latest. All brake dust must be removed from my track wheels immediately.

Those are just a few - I could go on.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #21
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

Biggest OCD freakout sessions are when I drive anywhere. Brake dust like crazy. Also, lots of soot on the rear bumper.

OP...screw a clear bra. Just wrap the whole damn thing!

I'm like you, got my 2008 w/ 9500 miles on it in November. I'm just about to hit 12k this month. Paint was pristine...my buddy owns a vinyl place and I decided to switch it up dramatically.

What started as this:

Is now this:

07-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #22
GreatWhite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
I open and close the door with microfiber towel, and will open and close door for passenger so there won't be any finger prints left behind.

"Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish"
Appreciate 0