BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: me crazy, Woo Hoo

Why would a bad Steering Angle Sensor cause only the EDC to fail?

So after spending a fair bit of change on the DCT since it was leaking in 4 places, I am trying to make sure I have covered everything before shelling out even more money for a Steering Angle Sensor.

I have done all the tricks to clean and resolder the steering angle sensor (It looked super clean already) and I still get the EDC fault as soon as I start up the car. (After resetting the battery and clearing the codes)
I have also had a shop try to reset/rezero the sensor and the error went away for a day before returning.

What I don't get is why aren't there other faults like the stability control system and stuff like that if the steering angle sensor is truly bad?

The error I get for the EDC fault code clearly says steering angle sensor out of range (or something like that), Is it possible its something else? This all started after having the ECU flashed to a stage 1 map, not that I think its related, but its worth noting.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
FNF_R56
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW 6MT

I had the same issue where the code i get was steering angle exceeds maximum correction value exceeded or somewhere along those lines, then EDC button does not work. It turns out to be a bad edc module, i was fortunate to find a used unit and had a local coder register it for my car. Hope this helps, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNF_R56 View Post
I had the same issue where the code i get was steering angle exceeds maximum correction value exceeded or somewhere along those lines, then EDC button does not work. It turns out to be a bad edc module, i was fortunate to find a used unit and had a local coder register it for my car. Hope this helps, good luck.
Well damn, I already have a steering angle sensor on order. I guess we'll see.

What did the EDC module cost you?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Start the car turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right then center it. Drive off for a few minutes and see if the error goes away.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
Start the car turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right then center it. Drive off for a few minutes and see if the error goes away.
Did that along with unplugging battery. Still comes right back. Darn...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
Did that along with unplugging battery. Still comes right back. Darn...
So it leaves all together than comes back after a while?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 02:27 AM   #7
FNF_R56
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil View Post
Well damn, I already have a steering angle sensor on order. I guess we'll see.

What did the EDC module cost you?
I found a used one on ebay for $120 shipped.

I thought it was the steering angle sensor as well, but then I opened it up and found that the optical disc sensor was clean. I also did the battery reset, steering angle calibration, and it just comes right back on.

The other symptom i had was i can change the edc setting via idrive through "key independent setting" but i couldnt change it through the edc button on the fly. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 06:22 AM   #8
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNF_R56 View Post
I found a used one on ebay for $120 shipped.

I thought it was the steering angle sensor as well, but then I opened it up and found that the optical disc sensor was clean. I also did the battery reset, steering angle calibration, and it just comes right back on.

The other symptom i had was i can change the edc setting via idrive through "key independent setting" but i couldnt change it through the edc button on the fly. Hope this helps.
I just replaced mine yesterday, I am bringing in the car today to have the sensor coded to the car. I am crossing my fingers...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 05:18 AM   #9
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just to add info and closure to this thread...

It turns out the problem was with the EDC module. It had some error that was stuck and would not clear the normal way of clearing codes. I had a remote coder (Mike from BPM) get into the EDC module and force clear/reset the EDC module and the error hasn't returned.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:27 AM   #10
FNF_R56
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil View Post
Just to add info and closure to this thread...

It turns out the problem was with the EDC module. It had some error that was stuck and would not clear the normal way of clearing codes. I had a remote coder (Mike from BPM) get into the EDC module and force clear/reset the EDC module and the error hasn't returned.
That's great!! Maybe my old edc module had the same issue and just needs to be force clear/reset. Damn, i wish i had kept my old module.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Steering angle sensor failure cause DSC, DBC, RPA, EDC and etc error.
Appreciate 0