BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-30-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Oil preference?

So I've used the new oil twice in the the last 10,000 miles. I feel like the new oil (M twin power turbo label) promotes engine noise in the S65 and I'll leave it at that. Just curious what everyone else thinks because I'm probably going back to Castrol.
Attached Images

07-30-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Both have the exact same viscosity when cold or at operating temperature, so I doubt one creates more "noises".

Pick which ever is cheaper as both are of the latest formulation from SOPUS/Castrol, and your engine is not going to tell the difference between the two.

Castrol has titanium, new Shell/BMW oil has pureplus technology, pick your flavor I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 01:02 AM   #3
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629
Both have the exact same viscosity when cold or at operating temperature, so I doubt one creates more "noises".

Pick which ever is cheaper as both are of the latest formulation from SOPUS/Castrol, and your engine is not going to tell the difference between the two.
I know they have similar viscosity but turbos can run above 1000 degrees and they are part of the oil system. I'm wondering what EXPERIENCE RUNNING BOTH people may have to share. Thanx for the reply though. I'm am unaware of the last part you wrote about....can you elaborate on the two (purple platypus and titanium) lol.
      07-30-2015, 04:07 AM   #4
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Turbos?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 04:24 AM   #5
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I know they have similar viscosity but turbos can run above 1000 degrees and they are part of the oil system. I'm wondering what EXPERIENCE RUNNING BOTH people may have to share. Thanx for the reply though. I'm am unaware of the last part you wrote about....can you elaborate on the two (purple platypus and titanium) lol.
The turbo label is just marketing bullshit. This 10w60 oil is used in 0 turbo cars.

Pureplus is shells method of refining fully synthetic base oil from natural gas which results in a crystal clear oil

Castrol uses titanium dithiocarbamate as an antiwear additive to supplement the zinc as well as a friction modifier

Honestly dude if you want to reduce engine noise and help startup wear throw in a can of liquimoly mos2

Last edited by Shredicus; 07-30-2015 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 04:28 AM   #6
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

I'd say our S65 engine is an known to be "noisy" engine, wether it's on startup or in actual driving, operating condition.
In my honest oppinion, the matter of fact, though is:

No matter what kind of oil ever will be used

This characteristic noise won't be accomplished to get under "control". What's more likely is the fact, that with multiple oil changes danger raises to swap one day and fill finally your engine with low lubrication oil and all of a sudden you find yourself facing an somewhat expensive repair bill for your poor suffering engine.
I'd say leave it with Castrol and don't put to much thought's toward's wether the oil is right or not. Just know that your car's old, thing's can break and when some part's are over due, your engine plain and simple can be in jeopardy. That's how it is.
Options:

1.) Old-break down-repair-life goes on-
2.) Old-break down-step up time!!!
3.) Old-break down-throw up time!!!!

Matter of fact is, don't drive such a car when you fear an engine fail...drive it normal, keep the rev's low when cold, have sometime's fun with it and if all of a sudden that day X come's, just repair your bad boy and rock on sister/ brother.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629
Turbos?
Yes turbos! Now the bottle reflects "Turbo power". Is the oil now setup for the turbo engines in today's current models? Does the oil withstand heat better but breakdown faster? My E92 obviously has no turbos, hence I have no need for this new branded oil and should stick with Castrol.
      07-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
The turbo label is just marketing bullshit. This 10w60 oil is used in 0 turbo cars.

Pureplus is shells method of refining fully synthetic base oil from natural gas which results in a crystal clear oil

Castrol uses titanium dithiocarbamate as an antiwear additive to supplement the zinc as well as a friction modifier

Honestly dude if you want to reduce engine noise and help startup wear throw in a can of liquimoly mos2
Thanx dude, appreciate the response.
      07-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix
I'd say our S65 engine is an known to be "noisy" engine, wether it's on startup or in actual driving, operating condition.
In my honest oppinion, the matter of fact, though is:

No matter what kind of oil ever will be used

This characteristic noise won't be accomplished to get under "control". What's more likely is the fact, that with multiple oil changes danger raises to swap one day and fill finally your engine with low lubrication oil and all of a sudden you find yourself facing an somewhat expensive repair bill for your poor suffering engine.
I'd say leave it with Castrol and don't put to much thought's toward's wether the oil is right or not. Just know that your car's old, thing's can break and when some part's are over due, your engine plain and simple can be in jeopardy. That's how it is.
Options:

1.) Old-break down-repair-life goes on-
2.) Old-break down-step up time!!!
3.) Old-break down-throw up time!!!!

Matter of fact is, don't drive such a car when you fear an engine fail...drive it normal, keep the rev's low when cold, have sometime's fun with it and if all of a sudden that day X come's, just repair your bad boy and rock on sister/ brother.
Booooooooooring, I'm gonna mash on it! I'm not driving this thing like a whimp!