BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

C63 to M3

Currently have a 2011 C63 and contemplating (pretty much done) making the switch to a 2012 M3 w/ competition package and everything else you can think of. The M3 I am getting is the only one of its colour in Canada for the generation. It's called Brass Metallic Paintworks. Will come with the Dinan exhaust, intake and tune. My C63 is slightly modded with Eurocharged tune, secondary cat delete and everything else was cosmetic with carbon fibre parts. Anyone else made this move? Regret it or happy with it?

Will I be disappointed or happy? Tips and tricks that I need and should know about the M3?

Cheers...glad to be on these forums now!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Welcome to the club. Can you post a pic? Color sounds interesting and we are going to want to see it.
      08-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #3
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

The first mod I'd like to do is swap out the yellow angel eyes. Can anyone recommend where I can do that from and whether it is an easy DIY? Also are 2012's known as E90's or E92's? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Just have the one picture on my phone so far as I pick it up later this week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

Angel eye install:

Most people tend to go with Lux (http://www.luxangeleyes.com/). I got the H8 160 and I dig them.

E90 is 4 door sedan, E92 is coupe, E93 is convertible. Nothing to do with the model year.
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
The first mod I'd like to do is swap out the yellow angel eyes. Can anyone recommend where I can do that from and whether it is an easy DIY? Also are 2012's known as E90's or E92's? Thanks.
Oh I can answer this one! E90 is a sedan, e92 is a coupe, e93 is convertible, and bonus answer, e91 is a hatchback.
I personally went with LUX angel eyes. The install is very fast if you know how to do it. The first one took me 20 minutes but the next one took me 2. It's easy if you have small hands. Very easy diy and the main thing to remember is the exact position they should be in when you screw them in.
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Very interesting color. I like it. Sort of a throwback to some of the old-school brown Porsches from the 70s and 80s. Also reminds me of Sepang Bronze, an underrated color on the E60 M5.

My two cents on the angel eyes is to leave the stock "yellow" color in. I think it provides nice contrast with the bi-xenon headlamps.

Anyway, OP, welcome to the club. The M3 is a very hyped up car, and for good reason: it is truly the benchmark! Enjoy it!
      08-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #8
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks a lot guys seems like an easy DIY and thanks for clarifying the code names. I have had Benz's for the last 5 years or so and am well versed with their engine names but not quite BMW's. So I guess I will be getting an E92 then.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Currently have a 2011 C63 and contemplating (pretty much done) making the switch to a 2012 M3 w/ competition package and everything else you can think of. The M3 I am getting is the only one of its colour in Canada for the generation. It's called Brass Metallic Paintworks. Will come with the Dinan exhaust, intake and tune. My C63 is slightly modded with Eurocharged tune, secondary cat delete and everything else was cosmetic with carbon fibre parts. Anyone else made this move? Regret it or happy with it?

Will I be disappointed or happy? Tips and tricks that I need and should know about the M3?

Cheers...glad to be on these forums now!
Welcome here ksa!
Brass Metallic is a rare color indeed...In BMW-speak that's called an Individual Color. I believe there is a sticky with another brass e92 in the Photo section...

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #10
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Very interesting color. I like it. Sort of a throwback to some of the old-school brown Porsches from the 70s and 80s. Also reminds me of Sepang Bronze, an underrated color on the E60 M5.

My two cents on the angel eyes is to leave the stock "yellow" color in. I think it provides nice contrast with the bi-xenon headlamps.

Anyway, OP, welcome to the club. The M3 is a very hyped up car, and for good reason: it is truly the benchmark! Enjoy it!

Thank you. Like I stated earlier, I always wanted a M3. Didn't even know AMG's were and what not until I got a C350. Then I got into a C63 AMG and loved the car, it is such a beast. Didn't think I would get bored of that in 2 years as well.

So making the move to M3 now and I hope it doesn't disappoint having had the C63 already. And thanks about the comment on the colour, I do like it since it's different and stands out. About the angel eyes I may just leave them I will have to see.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #11
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
Welcome here ksa!
Brass Metallic is a rare color indeed...In BMW-speak that's called an Individual Color. I believe there is a sticky with another brass e92 in the Photo section...

Thanks a lot. I was quite surprised when the dealer told me it was the only one in Canada for the generation. That made me want it even more. As stated earlier has the Competition Package, MDrive Package, Executive Package, BMW Apps and DCT. So it seem like quite nicely equipped I assume? Also has Dinan exhaust, tune and intake.

PS: Thanks a lot for all the quick replies. Love the forums already. Been active on AMG private lounge and MBworld before this and will be frequenting this a lot more often now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #12
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Thank you. Like I stated earlier, I always wanted a M3. Didn't even know AMG's were and what not until I got a C350. Then I got into a C63 AMG and loved the car, it is such a beast. Didn't think I would get bored of that in 2 years as well.

So making the move to M3 now and I hope it doesn't disappoint having had the C63 already. And thanks about the comment on the colour, I do like it since it's different and stands out. About the angel eyes I may just leave them I will have to see.

I don't think the M3 will disappoint. It's the whole package. I love the 6.2 in the C63, but the rest of the car wasn't that exciting to me and that's why I didn't buy one. I wouldn't change a thing about the M3.

I'll check back in after a few weeks to make sure you're still smitten.
      08-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #13
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

I've never owned an AMG (though I've ridden in an E63 before) but being a guy that went from an M3, to a C350, back into an M3 within a year and a half, I'll share my opinion/story:

I first bought my 2005 M3 ZCP back in January of 2013. Had 100,000 miles on it, bought it from the original owner. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I absolutely loved the car, but after 8 months and 13k miles of ownership, I had a sudden desire to sell one day. I can't explain it.

I blamed it on the fact that my wife was pregnant, and I felt I needed a 4 door car. I think this was just a cover up though. I also figured that since it had the SMG and I was constantly paranoid with the high miles, due to all the talk of faulty SMG pumps and sub-frame cracks, it was a good idea to cut my losses before something expensive broke on the car. In the end though, once all said and done, I wish I had kept the car, and just bought a daily driver to settle my need for a 4 door, or lived with the fact it only had 2 doors. The M3 was paid off, and I ended up financing the C350 anyways, so I would've been in the same boat if I just kept the M3. I suspect I suffered from "grass is greener syndrome". All I know is, I regret selling that car to this day.

So I sold the M3, and as stated, bought a 2009 C350 after seeing them around and thinking they looked sharp and were in my price range. I had never given any thought to Mercedes before selling the M3, but it was a good compromise at the time. At first, I loved the car. It was nice for the amount of money it cost me, had everything I needed at the time (4 doors for starters) and had much lower miles than the M3 (so I felt it was more reliable). I always missed the M3 (as I knew I would) but didn't really start regretting the C350 until I moved to Germany and got on the Autobahn. There's nothing like a Porsche GT3 pulling bus lengths on you in a matter of seconds to make you feel like you made the biggest mistake in the world.

I suddenly had a burning desire to sell the C Class and get into something that had more power. It's not easy coming from 333hp in a car made for the Autobahn to 200 something in a car made for cruising to the grocery store with the family. My first instinct (as I had already contemplated time and time again) was to get into a C63. I was already convinced that Mercedes was more for me than BMW having owned one for almost a year at that time. I looked for C63's (as well as other AMG series Mercedes), but in the end I ended up venturing back into the ///M cars. I thought "why not get an E90. They are 4 doors, so my main reason for selling the E46 will be null and void if I get an E90". So I test drove an E92 (just happened to be on the lot when I was driving by) and fell in love. I immediately sold the C350, and began my search for an E90, and settled on my E90 ZCP that I have now. Same color as my E46, so in a way it really filled the hole I've felt since I got rid of the original M3.

So, long story short, did I own an AMG? No, but coming from an E46 M3, to a W204 C350, back into an E90 M3, all within a year and a half, that should tell you something. The Mercedes are nice. Don't get me wrong. But BMW just does something for me that Mercedes can't. The DCT transmission in the M3 is light years ahead of what the automatic transmission in the Mercedes is (maybe the newer model C Classes are different?). My chief complaint of the C350 was always that it wasn't offered in manual, and the auto transmission was garbage. Also, the overall build of the E90 M3 is vastly superior (in my opinion) to the Mercedes cars. The style, layout, materials and quality used in the Mercedes leave something to be desired. The ///M cars are perfect in that aspect IMHO, or at least perfect compared to Mercedes.

You won't regret the decision. You might miss the C63 in some ways, but every time you step into the E92, you will have a smile on your face from ear to ear that the Mercedes just can't deliver
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2015, 11:50 PM   #14
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

That's a good read llllllllllll! I can agree on the build quality between Mercedes and bmw. My family and I have had nothing but problems with them. My dream car under $300k is still a Mercedes sls black series though...
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 11:53 PM   #15
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

That is one unique color!
      08-03-2015, 12:13 AM   #16
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
I did the lux angel eyes install and the biggest PITA was just getting the long extension where the led is (not really a bulb but the same function) lined up with the conical hole. You have to maneuver it just so and I kept dropping the dumb thing into the tiny area where the assembly is at. There's not much room to maneuver in there especially because the OEM halogen bulb is much smaller. Once I got the first one in after about an hour of fumbling I was able to get the second one in, in about ten minutes. You have to hold the light bulb like a pair of chopsticks, lol, and of course the install video above doesn't show that.

Love them though, got the h8 160 version and they look stellar.

Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #17
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

well, I don't know if I would switch to M3 if I had c63 but I would definitely not switch to c63 from my M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 02:09 AM   #18
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

I know I will miss the C63 for sure, I just hope it's not enough to make me regret my decision. The torque is absolutely addicting on these beasts and I can make the rear tires spin from a stand still in comfort mode if I really wanted. That's how strong it is in terms of torque.

That being said M3 is supposed to be the ultimate driving machine that delivers a more balanced experience in all regards so hopefully I've got that to look forward to. Does anyone know what sort of numbers does the E92 with Dinan extras (exhaust, tune and intake) produce?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 02:49 AM   #19
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
I've never owned an AMG (though I've ridden in an E63 before) but being a guy that went from an M3, to a C350, back into an M3 within a year and a half, I'll share my opinion/story:

I first bought my 2005 M3 ZCP back in January of 2013. Had 100,000 miles on it, bought it from the original owner. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I absolutely loved the car, but after 8 months and 13k miles of ownership, I had a sudden desire to sell one day. I can't explain it.

I blamed it on the fact that my wife was pregnant, and I felt I needed a 4 door car. I think this was just a cover up though. I also figured that since it had the SMG and I was constantly paranoid with the high miles, due to all the talk of faulty SMG pumps and sub-frame cracks, it was a good idea to cut my losses before something expensive broke on the car. In the end though, once all said and done, I wish I had kept the car, and just bought a daily driver to settle my need for a 4 door, or lived with the fact it only had 2 doors. The M3 was paid off, and I ended up financing the C350 anyways, so I would've been in the same boat if I just kept the M3. I suspect I suffered from "grass is greener syndrome". All I know is, I regret selling that car to this day.

So I sold the M3, and as stated, bought a 2009 C350 after seeing them around and thinking they looked sharp and were in my price range. I had never given any thought to Mercedes before selling the M3, but it was a good compromise at the time. At first, I loved the car. It was nice for the amount of money it cost me, had everything I needed at the time (4 doors for starters) and had much lower miles than the M3 (so I felt it was more reliable). I always missed the M3 (as I knew I would) but didn't really start regretting the C350 until I moved to Germany and got on the Autobahn. There's nothing like a Porsche GT3 pulling bus lengths on you in a matter of seconds to make you feel like you made the biggest mistake in the world.

I suddenly had a burning desire to sell the C Class and get into something that had more power. It's not easy coming from 333hp in a car made for the Autobahn to 200 something in a car made for cruising to the grocery store with the family. My first instinct (as I had already contemplated time and time again) was to get into a C63. I was already convinced that Mercedes was more for me than BMW having owned one for almost a year at that time. I looked for C63's (as well as other AMG series Mercedes), but in the end I ended up venturing back into the ///M cars. I thought "why not get an E90. They are 4 doors, so my main reason for selling the E46 will be null and void if I get an E90". So I test drove an E92 (just happened to be on the lot when I was driving by) and fell in love. I immediately sold the C350, and began my search for an E90, and settled on my E90 ZCP that I have now. Same color as my E46, so in a way it really filled the hole I've felt since I got rid of the original M3.

So, long story short, did I own an AMG? No, but coming from an E46 M3, to a W204 C350, back into an E90 M3, all within a year and a half, that should tell you something. The Mercedes are nice. Don't get me wrong. But BMW just does something for me that Mercedes can't. The DCT transmission in the M3 is light years ahead of what the automatic transmission in the Mercedes is (maybe the newer model C Classes are different?). My chief complaint of the C350 was always that it wasn't offered in manual, and the auto transmission was garbage. Also, the overall build of the E90 M3 is vastly superior (in my opinion) to the Mercedes cars. The style, layout, materials and quality used in the Mercedes leave something to be desired. The ///M cars are perfect in that aspect IMHO, or at least perfect compared to Mercedes.

You won't regret the decision. You might miss the C63 in some ways, but every time you step into the E92, you will have a smile on your face from ear to ear that the Mercedes just can't deliver

That's a great read, prior to the AMG, I had a 2009 C350 as well. You just can't compare them to these M or AMG vehicles at all. Wish you had an opportunity to drive/own the C63 and your review would have been precisely on point for me! Love the colour of your M3 though, looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 02:50 AM   #20
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Since I am a complete Bimmer noob, can someone explain what these options include? As stated the car comes with Competition Package, MDrive Package, Executive Package, BMW Apps...I am not quite sure what each of these packages/options actually include though. Also are there any known issues or problems that I should be on a look for with the 12 E92's?

Thanks!

Last edited by ksa; 08-03-2015 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 03:07 AM   #21
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Congratulations & welcome.
Not only is your color the only one in Canada, but it is the only Brass Metallic in all of North America.

You'll find that as BMW M3's age, they begin to look better and better with OEM+ modifications such as those you mentioned.
The ZCP (comp. pack.) wheels look great from the factory and the carbon fiber bits you mentioned can be had from BMW OEM, so fit and finish is subpar to none should you prefer to keep the look clean and subtle.
You'll also find this car to have almost the opposite character of the W204 AMG as far as its power delivery and dynamics.
It shines in the higher revs, is a screamer of an engine at 8400 RPM and uses its gearing and handling prowess, rather than brute force to get ahead and to make the drive enjoyable.
The sound is also quite different, but just as awesome as the M156.
Compared to the 6.2, it is more high pitched, less rumbly, and if i may, a more "race-like" sound & character, particularly at 10/10ths and especially when in reference to the induction noise, thanks to its 8 individual throttle bodies.
The M3 is not the brass knuckle type of monster like the AMG; it is more like a carefully crafted katana that exercises with finesse and technique.
Clearly both cars are awesome machines, but you'll get to experience first hand what makes an M3 so special is the complete package.
Sharp reflexes, daily drivability, usability, and connectedness with the driver combined with its sharp looks really defines the essence of this M3, the car that does it all.

Some common yet simple type of OEM+ mods include angel eye LEDs, painted reflectors, and the aforementioned CF pieces. CF mirror covers, CF rear trunk spoiler, and CF front splitter attachments can be had from BMW OEM under their M Performance line.
Interior touches include aluminum pedals, alcantara steering wheel (analog or digital), and weighted shift knob for 6MT. All available OEM, with the F10 M5 weighted & illuminated shift knob being the most common replacement.

Once again, welcome and you'll love the M3.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 3
      08-03-2015, 03:16 AM   #22
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Since I am a complete Bimmer noob, can someone explain what these options include? As stated the car comes with Competition Package, MDrive Package, Executive Package, BMW Apps...I am not quite sure what each of these packages/options actually include though. Also are there any known issues or problems that I should be on a look for with the 12 E92's?

Thanks!
Competition Package (ZCP) -
19" BBS wheels (Style 359M)
Lower suspension
Revised programming for the Electronic Dampening Control (EDC).

MDrive Package (ZGE) -
2MD MDrive - allows user to preset suspension, throttle map, traction control, and transmission settings (DCT only) through the M button on the steering wheel.
609 BMW On-Board Navigation - aka iDrive
620 Voice Control

Executive Package (ZLQ) -
313 Power Fold Mirrors
319 Universal Garage Door Opener (HomeLink® compatible)
415 Electric Rear Sunshade
490 Adjustable Seat Width with Lumbar Support
507 Park Distance Control (Rear sensors only)
655 SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuner
752 BMW Individual Audio System with Dirac LiveTM Technology

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 1