BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Bad front wheel bearing/ Edit: Rear differential is the issue.

So I have a slight vibration at 80-90 mph and 135+ mph. I had this vibration before all of these new parts as well.
So rotors are new, wheels are new, tires are new, suspension is new, control arms are new, brake pads are new. Tires are balanced and checked by 2 different shops. Still have a slight vibration at 80-90 mph and 135+mph . It is ALOT better now but still there alittle. I run my tire pressure at 2.5 bar and A friend runs his at 2.2 bar. Could my higher tire pressure be the cause? I noticed it isn't consistent. I hope it's not the wheel bearings but I guess it could be. I didn't feel any play or hear any noises today when I had everything apart. Nothing felt off. That's another $300 I don't want to spend.

There isn't any clicking or howling associated either. Just a slight " out of balance tire" feel at those speeds.

Last edited by Solo_M_Tech; 08-24-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Just curious but did you have the tires and wheels balanced on a road-force balance machine? A RF balancer will properly index the tire to the wheel, thus reducing dynamic vibrations and eliminate issues with wheel/tire run-out. A dynamic balancer (typical of most shops) balance at speed or i.e in motion but when you have a tire with slight issues it doesn't always show up. Most balancers typically spin the tire/wheel up to 60mph which is accurate for almost all applications but still leaves a margin of accuracy. You possibly could have wheel or tire with excessive run-out that wouldn't typically show up with a standard balancer.

Not saying this is your issue but more a place to start. I realize you said wheels and tires are new but still worth looking into.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 05:37 AM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82MSport
Just curious but did you have the tires and wheels balanced on a road-force balance machine? A RF balancer will properly index the tire to the wheel, thus reducing dynamic vibrations and eliminate issues with wheel/tire run-out. A dynamic balancer (typical of most shops) balance at speed or i.e in motion but when you have a tire with slight issues it doesn't always show up. Most balancers typically spin the tire/wheel up to 60mph which is accurate for almost all applications but still leaves a margin of accuracy. You possibly could have wheel or tire with excessive run-out that wouldn't typically show up with a standard balancer.

Not saying this is your issue but more a place to start. I realize you said wheels and tires are new but still worth looking into.
None of the tire shops in Germany have a road force balancer. Not even the dealership. I am almost convinced that this is a wheel/tire combo or potentially a bad alignment. She's going into the shop on Monday for a full check and diagnostics service. I will report back once I have a solution.
      08-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

An alignment will never solve a vibration issue, ever.

Sounds like a road force issue like others have said.

I can't believe you can not find a shop with a road force balancer, even here in Cheap assed Canada, it is the norm. Honda dealers are required to have one as per Honda.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech

I can't believe you can not find a shop with a road force balancer, even here in Cheap assed Canada, it is the norm. Honda dealers are required to have one as per Honda.
Well here is a observation. They are "balanced" but there is a lot of weight on one side of the wheel. Would rotating the tire 180* on the wheel
And rebalancing make a difference? I would think yes. But commons sense rarely applies to these things.
      08-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance
Quote:

Well here is a observation. They are "balanced" but there is a lot of weight on one side of the wheel. Would rotating the tire 180* on the wheel
And rebalancing make a difference? I would think yes. But commons sense rarely applies to these things.
The weight does not matter.

You have to find someone who can check the road force. There HAS to be someone who can do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You have to find someone who can check the road force. There HAS to be someone who can do it.
I found a shop that has the road force machine. The language barrier is fun but according to the hunter road force "find a shop" page, and the best English speaking German there, they do. So Monday I am going to the shop and if they have it, I'm trying that first.
      08-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I found a shop that has the road force machine. The language barrier is fun but according to the hunter road force "find a shop" page, and the best English speaking German there, they do. So Monday I am going to the shop and if they have it, I'm trying that first.
Perfect!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perfect!
Do you actually think this will fix my issue? I'm getting super tired of chasing this vibration.
      08-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Update: Wheels and tires were road force balanced... didn't solve my issue. Decided to take the car to the dealer for a bumper to bumper inspection and they think they found the issue.

Under high load situations the vibration gets worse. When they take the car up to speed, and put the car in neutral, the vibration is still there. and it's less noticable, but there.

So they put the car on the lift and started inspecting everything. After an hour, they came back with a probable diagnosis. Rear differential. They showed me there was excessive play in the differential. The pinion bearing is loose and the ring and pinion lash is out of spec. All of the driveshaft components are good and in spec.

So all this time my rear differential was slowly going out, and now it's gotten to the point of needing to be replaced. It's covered by the 2 year extended warranty that came with the car when I purchased it. Just waiting for the authorization and the work can begin. oh and 52,026 KM on the odometer.
      08-29-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
That's odd. There are many more high mileage cars that have not had any differential replacements. I hope this is the end of your troubles for a very long time!
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #12
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i MT

I have a strange low-level vibration as well in my 135is convertible. Wheels have been double checked with a Hunter road-force machine. It's strange, comes and goes, not consistent... I noticed it when the car still had summer wheels on, I swapped winter set on and vibration was pretty nasty so I re-balanced them (who knows what previous owner did). After re-balance 85% of the vibration is gone but it's still there in that weird mode when you drive on the highway and vibrations re-appears every xx (60-90?) seconds and goes away...

I'd be curious to see if anyone observed anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #13
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8anic View Post
I have a strange low-level vibration as well in my 135is convertible. Wheels have been double checked with a Hunter road-force machine. It's strange, comes and goes, not consistent... I noticed it when the car still had summer wheels on, I swapped winter set on and vibration was pretty nasty so I re-balanced them (who knows what previous owner did). After re-balance 85% of the vibration is gone but it's still there in that weird mode when you drive on the highway and vibrations re-appears every xx (60-90?) seconds and goes away...

I'd be curious to see if anyone observed anything like that.
see if you can isolate it to a specific speed on the highway or under load. where does it "feel" like its coming from?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #14
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

Speed... Vibration seems to be present throughout the entire range, it's just more pronounced at higher speeds. Because it's cyclical and not constant - it's hard to say, but there's definitely a small component at 55-75 that makes it more pronounced.

Feel - that's a tough one, it certainly feels like the majority is in the body as opposed to steering wheel, but I do feel it in the steering wheel at times as well.

I reaaaally dislike these weird issues, especially since it's not severe enough to be a real problem but just enough to be annoying, love the car otherwise tho'

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
see if you can isolate it to a specific speed on the highway or under load. where does it "feel" like its coming from?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #15
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Quote:
Speed... Vibration seems to be present throughout the entire range, it's just more pronounced at higher speeds. Because it's cyclical and not constant - it's hard to say, but there's definitely a small component at 55-75 that makes it more pronounced.

Feel - that's a tough one, it certainly feels like the majority is in the body as opposed to steering wheel, but I do feel it in the steering wheel at times as well.

I reaaaally dislike these weird issues, especially since it's not severe enough to be a real problem but just enough to be annoying, love the car otherwise tho'
It almost sounds like a driveshaft related issue to me. The the only things that are turning on the car would make that kinda of issue imo. driveshaft, wheels, rotors? or it could be something loose in the suspension. See if you can isolate it to front/back/or center

Also see if it changes when you push the clutch in.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #16
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

I'll pay closer attention to see if clutch engagement makes a difference, but my initial reaction is that it didn't. It's a CPO car, still under new vehicle warranty as well for a few k miles, but that may not mean much these days...

Vibration seems to be shifty, sometimes I feel it more in the body, other times it appears to be more in the steering wheel; it appears and goes away, then returns again. I suppose it's possible that it's a couple of things and not a single source. I've read a bunch of reports that state something similar regardless of the mileage or wheels/tires. Dealer's picking car up in a few days, let's see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
It almost sounds like a driveshaft related issue to me. The the only things that are turning on the car would make that kinda of issue imo. driveshaft, wheels, rotors? or it could be something loose in the suspension. See if you can isolate it to front/back/or center

Also see if it changes when you push the clutch in.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #17
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

Well, dealer is saying that it's the excessive roadforce in the wheels and I should replace three tires. I don't think so, lol. I mean they might be right but it would imply that both summer and winter set were "damaged" in a similar manner, possible tho not likely IMO. Oh well, will wait until spring to try the summer set and yell at the dealer then.

BTW - are tire replacements included in the free maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #18
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, dealer is saying that it's the excessive roadforce in the wheels and I should replace three tires. I don't think so, lol. I mean they might be right but it would imply that both summer and winter set were "damaged" in a similar manner, possible tho not likely IMO. Oh well, will wait until spring to try the summer set and yell at the dealer then.

BTW - are tire replacements included in the free maintenance?
No tires are not part of the complimentary maintenance program. IF they are OE, they will have a warranty through the tire manufacturer though.