BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

08-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
F30MI
Private
Rep
Drives: 13 F30

Paint Correction Jerez Black

I am planning to do paint correction as my car has swirls and scratches. Not too much.
Thinking of Chemical Guys V36 followed by V38 and opti-coat.

How much compound, polish, pads I need to buy?
Any other good compound and polish recommended?

Any opinions? Anybody done this DIY.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Inf4life
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

*Jerez
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Sco Cuddie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

I just completed paint correction on my Jerez black last weekend.

I used meguirars 105 with an orange pad followed by meguirars 205 with white pad, followed by chemical guys black light with a black pad and jet seal on a black pad.

1 bottle of each should get your through multiple paint correct sessions. You will need multiple pads of each color.

Good luck and post results!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
*Jerez
* wrong forum section too
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
Inf4life
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
*Jerez
* wrong forum section too
I didn't want to get too harsh with him. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

What machine are you planning to use? I would highly recommend a Flex 3401 if you do not already have one. And check out Menzerna polishes. Start off with FG400 and a polishing pad to remove a bulk of the swirls and defects, then a finishing pad with SF4500 to polish any remaining haze to an ultra high gloss. After all polishing, go straight to Menzerna Powerlock Sealant. No need to wipe off any polish residue prior to applying Powerlock.

Or if you decide to use a coating, use Prep-All to remove any remaining polishing oils and residue. And use CarPro Quartz UK coating and Reload combination.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco Cuddie View Post

I used meguirars 105 with an orange pad followed by meguirars 205 with white pad, followed by chemical guys black light with a black pad and jet seal on a black pad.

1 bottle of each should get your through multiple paint correct sessions. You will need multiple pads of each color.

This is definitely the best plan. Use the best products each company has to offer!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Mew View Post
This is definitely the best plan. Use the best products each company has to offer!
the correction process is good along with the menzerna products suggested above, but i wouldn't use blacklight and jet seal to protect all your hard work. op's idea of opti coat is much better. at minimum use a proper sealant.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Newb17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 z06

Those that mentioned opti-coat(or any coating), you really have to know what you're doing when applying these types of products. Just an FYI.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb17 View Post
Those that mentioned opti-coat(or any coating), you really have to know what you're doing when applying these types of products. Just an FYI.
not for opti coat really. others yes specifically modesta and cquartz.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Newb17
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
not for opti coat really. others yes specifically modesta and cquartz.
Any coating will leave high spots if applied too thick. Most people are unaware of this and will end up with high spots if not removed before the coating starts to cure.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Any coating will leave high spots if applied too thick. Most people are unaware of this and will end up with high spots if not removed before the coating starts to cure.
i feel it's common sense to read up on the product if you've never used it. if you've never heard of a coating i would hope you read up on how to apply it...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #13
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
the correction process is good along with the menzerna products suggested above, but i wouldn't use blacklight and jet seal to protect all your hard work. op's idea of opti coat is much better. at minimum use a proper sealant.
Ive also just purchased my first porter cable and nervous. I bought it used and Pinnacle XMT swirl remover products and carnauba glaze were included. Before this purchase I bought some Blackfire Total polish and seal and Blacklight Hybrid Radiant finish. It seems your not a fan of the Blacklight. Could you explain why? Also do you suggest the Blackfire total polish and seal to use as a learning polish with the PC?
      09-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #14
Newb17
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Ive also just purchased my first porter cable and nervous. I bought it used and Pinnacle XMT swirl remover products and carnauba glaze were included. Before this purchase I bought some Blackfire Total polish and seal and Blacklight Hybrid Radiant finish. It seems your not a fan of the Blacklight. Could you explain why? Also do you suggest the Blackfire total polish and seal to use as a learning polish with the PC?
Do not be nervous. A Porter Cable is very noob friendly. XMT polishes aren't very good. Blacklight is a very nice product along with BF TPS. However, both of these products have very light abrasive cut(especially Blacklight). BMW's tend to have very hard clear coats, so the polishes you have teamed up with a PC(not much correcting power) may not remove heavy defects. What pads do you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #15
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Quote:
Do not be nervous. A Porter Cable is very noob friendly. XMT polishes aren't very good. Blacklight is a very nice product along with BF TPS. However, both of these products have very light abrasive cut(especially Blacklight). BMW's tend to have very hard clear coats, so the polishes you have teamed up with a PC(not much correcting power) may not remove heavy defects. What pads do you have?
Some pads came with the used PC, but being they are used some are hard to tell what color they are. But I have a new Lake Country orange pad, used blue, gray, yellow, CCS orange, and the white pad that comes with the PC which needs to be screwed in. Im told thats not a great pad to use. The backing plate is 5" and the pads are 6.5". I have a bunch of pads on order including NEW 5.5" Lake Country white, blue fine finishing pad, black finishing pad, hydro tech crimson ultra fine finishing pad, pink very light cutting pad, and hydro tech tangerine ultra fine finishing pad. Along with the Pinnacle polishes I also have Poorboys swirl remover #2 and #1. Im just nervous about this whole situation. So I thought trying the Blackfire total polish and seal may be a good start?
      09-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
Newb17
Private
Rep

Don't bother with the 6.5" pads with the PC, they're too big to rotate and get any type of good correction. The 5.5" LC pads are good. You may have to buy some more aggressive pads/polish if you don't get the desired results. Always do a test spot and gauge your results before doing the whole car. TPS is a fantastic polish for a noob. Light cut and will finish good. Mark a line on your backing plate with a sharpie, so you can see your pad rotating(or not). You want to keep the pad rotating as much as possible. You even pressure to do so. Where do you live? I'm a pro detailer.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #17
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
if you are correcting your paint i would not follow up with a glaze which is what blacklight really is, but no one knows for sure. it's a glaze with some protection? anyway when you correct your paint put a proper sealant at minimum on there, something that will last because you don't want to have to keep applying every three months. i would personally go with a coating.

blackfire makes great products. you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #18
dpilat8588
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
I started off with V36/V38 combo. I think they are great products, however, the V36 was not strong enough for me, especially since this was the first time my paint was going through paint correction. Depending on how bad your paint is, you might want to consider the V34 or even the V32. You could also give Meguairs M105 a try, followed by V38 or Meguairs M205. I recently tried the M105/M205 combo, and I got great results. I am sure you could get the same results with the chemical guys products, depending on which cutting compound you go with (V32, V34 etc.). I have never tried the V32, but I imagine it cuts similar to the M105.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #19
RoshDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 / 991 / Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco Cuddie View Post

I think this is a perfect combo. I'm not the biggest chemical guys fan (although I live with her), but the two best products they make are the ones you mentioned. I think the orange white black pad combo is perfect. I have not used 105 or 205 but I hear they're great and is what I will be using next time I do a paint correction.

I used v36 and v38 over the weekend to help fix a scratch and was not impressed with It's removal of swirls - this seems to be a very common theme and have heard this many time - I think it's the word 'cutting polish' that makes people confused with v36. Maybe it will be different on your finish as not all paints are the same.

One thing you should do is get a pad cleaner and regularly clean your pad during the process.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #20
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
Quote:
i feel it's common sense to read up on the product if you've never used it. if you've never heard of a coating i would hope you read up on how to apply it...
I was a first timer so I opted for sonax PNS for a sealant. It's pretty awesome stuff and a good product to apply if your not comfortable with the others
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #21
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnykin View Post
I was a first timer so I opted for sonax PNS for a sealant. It's pretty awesome stuff and a good product to apply if your not comfortable with the others
Pns is an amazing product for the price. Sheets and beads water very well and has great durability for a sealant. Application is a little rough but well worth the result. I also noticed great anti static properties and high gloss even when the car is dirty.

Top off with brilliant shine detailer and you have protection for a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #22
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnykin View Post
Pns is an amazing product for the price. Sheets and beads water very well and has great durability for a sealant. Application is a little rough but well worth the result. I also noticed great anti static properties and high gloss even when the car is dirty.

Top off with brilliant shine detailer and you have protection for a bargain.
Yeah that's exactly what I do, use the detailer on top between cleans etc. I've used it on my rims also and works very well.
Appreciate 0