BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Draco-REX
Rep
Drives: E92 maybe

First M, first BMW, first post! (almost)

Well, I might be signing on a 2012 M3 Coupe 6MT with Competition Package in the next few days or so. It just arrived in town and I'm waiting for the paperwork to clear so I can take it for a test drive.

It only has 19K miles.

I've been through a number of cars, and recently I owned an Audi S5. While I loved the interior and the creature comforts, it was a DCT. As autos go, it was the least annoying I've ever driven, and a really great piece of tech. But I'm a three-pedal kind of guy and I missed driving a stick. I went to a Subaru STI and while it's a car I love, I also discovered that the Audi had taught me to love comfort and features. So that lead me to looking for something that is a mixture of both. It had to be fun. It had to be comfortable. And it had to be a manual.

I looked around for what might fit the bill, and I kept coming back to BMW. And what enthusiast hasn't heard of the legendary M3? While the early cars that started the legend were pretty hard core, the later generations have added a good dose of comfort, so I think I found what I was looking for. I originally was looking at a new M4. I really fell in love with it when it was at NAIAS last year. But the numbers just wouldn't work out for me. So I turned my focus to the E9x. The more I looked into them, the more my list of requirements grew. Additional to the manual, it had to be a coupe, with Nav, and the Competition Package.

This one fits the bill pretty well. It meets my requirements as well as seeming to have all the major packages. While I love black cars, I figured I've had enough and the grey will look good with what I have planned. I'd have preferred a black interior, but the grey will be a nice change. My only real gripe is the sunroof. I'd much rather have that sexy CF roof. Maybe I'll wrap the roof panel in black...

I'm not committed to buying it yet. I still need to drive it and listen for any engine ticking. But I'm pretty confident.

Anyways.. So this is my Hello post. Hopefully I'll be spending some good time here.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Nice looking car, I hope you end up taking her home! I agree that sunroof and palladium silver are the least popular choices but buying used it's hard to find the one that has 100% of what you want. During the test drive, once the engine is warmed up, hit the M button and rev her up to redline a couple times. I guarantee you'll be sold.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Beauty. Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Car looks really good!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
stiles
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3

I actually really dig the color combination.

As for the sunroof, this looks pretty good imo:
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Bushum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

I hope you get it, great looking car! Where in Ohio? I have seen only one M3 around here in the past three years.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
njdrive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ZCP

Good luck! What Stiles posted will look great on that color. It would look even better if the seats were black. As for waiting to hear the engine; please be warned, it's addictive, it will haunt you. That is how we all got hooked on the drug called the e9x M3.
      08-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
Bushum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdrive View Post
As for waiting to hear the engine; please be warned, it's addictive, it will haunt you. That is how we all got hooked on the drug called the e9x M3.
I made the mistake of driving a convertible for my first test. Man does this car sound good with the top down! It made my sedan a little underwhelming. My kids better appreciate my sacrifice.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
RoshDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 / 991 / Tundra

Wow that's a great interior man. I would see that as a plus to make your car more unique. Previous owner obviously took care of it since the leather looks so new. If you get it make sure to regularly maintain your leather to not get blue dye from your jeans on it. I too had an STI and loved it, and I assume you will love the m3 too once you drive it. Looking forward to your impressions.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

I remember you from the BRZ forums, you had a black one that I always looked at as mine was black as well. Now your about to get a space grey which I have as well haha Pull the trigger man you wont regret it!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
Draco-REX
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiles View Post
I actually really dig the color combination.

As for the sunroof, this looks pretty good imo:
I was thinking of a cf wrap on the roof, but I thought that M3 fans that know the cars would call me out on it and call me a ricer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshDawg View Post
Wow that's a great interior man. I would see that as a plus to make your car more unique. Previous owner obviously took care of it since the leather looks so new. If you get it make sure to regularly maintain your leather to not get blue dye from your jeans on it. I too had an STI and loved it, and I assume you will love the m3 too once you drive it. Looking forward to your impressions.
I'm going to miss having Alcantara seating surfaces. I've had Alcantara in every car I've owned since 2007. I'm really surprised BMW doesn't offer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
I remember you from the BRZ forums, you had a black one that I always looked at as mine was black as well. Now your about to get a space grey which I have as well haha Pull the trigger man you wont regret it!
Still have it, and it will continue to be my AutoX/track car. The M3 will be my daily. Unfortunately the BRZ is in the shop. I fell victim to a rare defect in the rockers. So it's at a shop waiting for the engine to be torn down. I'm going to check out the internals and see if I need to upgrade to forged while it's apart.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
Draco-REX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushum View Post
I hope you get it, great looking car! Where in Ohio? I have seen only one M3 around here in the past three years.
Columbus area. I work at a dealership and a son of one of the owners has one in Frost Silver. He brings it in now and then for oil changes. Looks sweet.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #13
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Terrific looking car with amazing mileage! I think you'll be happy with this one.

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Welcome to the club. You got the best color, too.

You and I also have the same interior color.
      08-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #15
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Welcome to the club, assuming you get it!

I also came from a S5. For being as similar as vehicles as they are, they are completely different animals. The M3 is much more 'hardcore' than the S5. I cant say a bad word about either car.
      08-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #16
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Go for it! I recently made the switch from a C63 AMG and couldn't be happier. Absolutely love this beast.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #17
Draco-REX
Rep

The paperwork came through and I was able to take it for a short test drive after work. I'd like a better test drive, but there just wasn't much time and traffic was killer. Lots of good, and lots of bad.

The good:
  • It really is a great car. It drives well and has almost every creature comfort. I was especially surprised when the car HANDED ME my seatbelt! LOL.
  • The ride was very nice in comfort mode. I do think it rode better than my S5.
  • It wasn't bad in traffic.
  • Like the Audi, it was a nice place to be inside.

The bad:
  • For 250 wtq, I was expecting a bit more punch. It's not a deal breaker by any means; it didn't feel under-powered, just not as punchy as I thought it would be.
  • The seating position feels kinda high. That struck me as odd, but I can get used to it.
  • The front bumper was repainted. Looked like the shop didn't fully strip the bumper to paint it either.

The REALLY bad:
  • Someone drove this thing over a parking block or up a pole. There was damage under the front bumper and the oil cooler was bent upwards like a rainbow. THIS is a potential deal killer. The oil cooler and associated aero has to be replaced at a minimum. The radiator and radiator support needs to be checked too. CarMax will have to take care of this or come WAY down on the price or I'll have to pass on this car.

This sucks. It's a beautiful car. At first look I was going to drive it tonight and likely buy it tomorrow. After the drive, I was tempted to see if I could get it done tonight and drive it home. But once I took a good look underneath, now I'm not sure I want this particular car. Grrrr..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
njdrive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
The paperwork came through and I was able to take it for a short test drive after work. I'd like a better test drive, but there just wasn't much time and traffic was killer. Lots of good, and lots of bad.

The bad:
[*]For 250 wtq, I was expecting a bit more punch. It's not a deal breaker by any means; it didn't feel under-powered, just not as punchy as I thought it would be.

Hmmm, 19k miles, painted bumper, damage under the car... I would have a local BMW dealership do a PPE. Peace of mind is worth a few extra hundred dollar, besides the car should still be under warranty.

Does anyone on this forum recognize that 19k mile beauty? From the pictures and the mileage, the owner took care of the car except for the noted damage. I'm curious to know if the damage happened before carmax got the car.

As for the test drive, you will not be able to get a true sense of what the car can do on a test drive. It will take some time to learn how to drive the E9x and set the M button to where you want to feel the beast. I felt the same way on my test drives. Good Luck.
      08-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
Draco-REX
Rep

Another quick question:

I'm looking at other options in case I have to turn down this car. In playing with a VIN decoder on line I'm plugging in "Competition Package" M3s and I'm not seeing a ZCP option code in the list. I'm only seeing 7MA. Were there two Competition Packages? Or are they the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I would pass if I were you. There will be many e9x M3's for sale in the future and for a better price. Don't settle on the first one...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
My paperwork breaks down the ZCP=223 DDC...7MA Comp. Pkg....Z59...19 inch wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #22
Draco-REX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
My paperwork breaks down the ZCP=223 DDC...7MA Comp. Pkg....Z59...19 inch wheels.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0